Sterling wave 2x3
Old
  (#1)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster
Monstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Sterling wave 2x3 - 06-17-2011, 09:16 AM

I would like to spend a few minutes here talking about my girlfriend's 2x3 Sterling wave case. She purchased it while we were at the SBE this year and the initial reaction was positive as she was using it as a 2x2. That was until we actually tried to use it as it was intended.

She purchased a Josey Purpleheart wrapless cue from Keith and Sherry and decided to use her old Meucci as a break cue. That left her with needing a case that would hold both of her cues. We spent some time looking around and finally settled on the Sterling wave 2x3 in case she ever wanted to add an extra shaft to her Josey.

The good:

The case has some nice features and initially it seemed to be well made considering it's made in China. It has nice large zipper pulls which was one of the things my girlfriend needed because she has long fingernails. The JB padded dividers worked quite well in keeping the shafts separated from the butts and providing adequate protection while she was using it as a 2x2. The zippers seemed to be of pretty good quality and the pouches are a nice size and easy to get items in and out of. There are two straps that allow it to be used like a backpack. There is also a nice flower pattern embossed on parts of the case and even on the inside cover. Nice touch and for Stacie and I think this is why she chose this case over several others we looked at.

The bad:

For $110 there are a LOT of other (better?) options. The case is now a few months old and even though Stacie only plays twice a week, the case is starting to show some signs of wear. Some of the stitching is starting to come loose and the top zipper sticks on occasion.

The biggest issues with the case are in regards to it's intended use. The case is intended to be a 2x3 but when we tried to use it as such, we damaged the finish on one of the shafts. I actually had to wet sand and buff the finish to correct the problem. I mentioned this in another thread and John Barton decided to trash me on his website. Take a look here to see what kind of person he really is:

http://jbcases.com/caseblog/

As most of you know he was responsible for the design of the padded interior on the Sterling cases. He for some reason can not admit when he makes a mistake or even if there was a flaw in manufacturing and if you question him he will call you a liar, leave you negative rep, and send you threatening emails. This alone is enough for me not to want to ever buy anything he is affiliated with again. In fact, I plan on buying Stacie another case and lighting the Sterling on fire. I'll be sure and post a video of it for you all to see.

Anyway, back to the review.

As I mentioned, the case has a huge problem when used as it's intended as a 2x3. When you try to slide the second shaft in when the rest of the case is full, the joint protector rubs on the finish and makes a mark. To be honest, it doesn't do it on cues that are thin at the joint so if you have a thin cue, this case may be ok for you. I have also noticed that when you are using it as a 2x3 the tips of the cue will sometimes get stuck on the padding as you try to slide it into the case. I think Sterling should consider using a larger outside tube for their 2x3 rather than trying to squeeze in the extra shaft.

Here is a few photos of the case with cues stored in it. The first photo shows it with 2 butts and two shafts. As you can see, the case does ok when used like this.

Here is a photo with the case being used as it is intended as a 2x3. As you can see, the joint protectors are touching and unless you are very careful when sliding the second shaft in IT WILL DAMAGE the finish. Maybe it is just a defect with this case but we'll never know because JB will never admit there is a problem.

Conclusion:

For a cheap case, it's ok. I wouldn't buy one to use with a high end cue or one that has nice joint protectors like the one's that Jim Baxter made for Stacie's Josey.

There are a lot of options for cases in this price range and you could probably get a lot more protection for your money (or less) with something else. For just a little more you could buy a slightly used Swift envelope case and be much happier with the design, construction, and protection.

Synergy:The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

"Gambling? This is not gambling sir. Gambling is a wager on something you have no control over."

"You can't fix stupid!"

"As far as trading this cue for a Sugartree...let's not go down that road" - Tro

Player: Synergy

Case: Custom JB on order!

Breaker: J&J B/J modified by PFD Studios

Last edited by Monstermash; 06-17-2011 at 12:48 PM.

Old
  (#2)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1538

06-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermash View Post

Here is a few photos of the case with cues stored in it. The first photo shows it with 2 butts and two shafts. As you can see, the case does ok when used like this.

Here is a photo with the case being used as it is intended as a 2x3. As you can see, the joint protectors are touching and unless you are very careful when sliding the second shaft in IT WILL DAMAGE the finish. Maybe it is just a defect with this case but we'll never know because JB will never admit there is a problem.

The photos you post shows "your girlfriend" is loading the case in the wrong configuration. Cue Butts should be to the outside. Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case. When the CASE was Empty could you not see the Two Largest were to the Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case.

John Barton posted an instructional U-tube this am for information on proper loading technique.

P.S. Hope this helps! Photo from Sterling's Web-site

Last edited by CocoboloCowboy; 06-17-2011 at 09:50 AM.

case
Old
  (#3)
know it all
AzB Silver Member
know it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond reputeknow it all has a reputation beyond repute

case - 06-17-2011, 09:51 AM

One other thing on these cases. The 3x6 and the 4x8 it seems that they are made out cheaper vinyl, than a porper case. joes cases have a better thicker grade of vinyl. Won't buy another case from sterling,plus porpers are american MADE.
Like how you put the cues in the case to. Buy american made..

Last edited by know it all; 06-17-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Old
  (#4)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster
Monstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond reputeMonstermash has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
The photos you post shows "your girlfriend" is loading the case in the wrong configuration. Cue Butts should be to the outside. Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case. When the CASE was Empty could you not see the Two Largest were to the Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case.

John Barton posted an instructional U-tube this am for information on proper loading technique.

P.S. Hope this helps! Photo from Sterling's Web-site
Sorry but you are incorrect. The butts are loaded correctly on the far left and right of the case and the shafts are loaded in the middle. It is obvious when looking at the top of the JP's on the PFD Studios cue. Each shaft has a corresponding number on it for each shaft and the butt just has the "PFD" logo on it.

Additionally, If she were to load it the way it's shown in the last photo you posted I think it would cause significant damage to any cue loaded into that case with the pin facing down if it didn't have a JP on it. The bottom of the case is just vinal and I don't think I would want the pin hitting the ground every time the case was put on the floor.

Lastly, I'm a little offended the "your girlfriend" in quotes. John Barton insinuates that she is fictional in the same way on his website as if I need to make her up. I can tell you for a fact that I would NEVER use one of these cheap POS cases to store/carry any of my cues in. One of my PFD joint protectors costs more that this case.

Synergy:The interaction of two or more agents or forces so that their combined effect is greater than the sum of their individual effects.

"Gambling? This is not gambling sir. Gambling is a wager on something you have no control over."

"You can't fix stupid!"

"As far as trading this cue for a Sugartree...let's not go down that road" - Tro

Last edited by Monstermash; 06-17-2011 at 11:24 AM.

Old
  (#5)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.
CocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond reputeCocoboloCowboy has a reputation beyond repute

06-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Sorry but you are incorrect. The butts are loaded correctly on the far left and right of the case and the shafts are loaded in the middle. It is obvious when looking at the top of the JP's on the PFD Studios cue. Each shaft has a corresponding number on it for each shaft and the butt just has the "PFD" logo on it.

Additionally, If she were to load it the way it's shown in the last photo you posted I think it would cause significant damage to any cue loaded into that case with the pin facing down if it didn't have a JP on it. The bottom of the case is just vinal and I don't think I would want the pin hitting the ground every time the case was put on the floor.

Lastly, I'm a little offended the "your girlfriend" in quotes. John Barton insinuates that she is fictional in the same way on his website as if I need to make her up. I can tell you for a fact that I would NEVER use one of these cheap POS cases to store/carry any of my cues in. One of my PFD joint protectors costs more that this case.
Well from the photos you posted above it is hard to tell if it is a Butt Section or Shaft Section in each opening. Well I only tried to help you with the picture from Sterling's Web-site, and between that and John Demo on how to load the Wave Case I think the subject is covered on how the Case is loaded, and Unloaded.

Also I scratch my head why the case owner who had the problem did not get on the phone, call a toll free number to Sterling Gaming, and talk to Sterling Gaming before putting this all over AZB? Or was that call made, and not mentioned?

Last edited by CocoboloCowboy; 06-17-2011 at 04:43 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster

06-17-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoboloCowboy View Post
Well from the photos you posted above it is hard to tell if it is a Butt Section or Shaft Section in each opening. Well I only tried to help you with the picture from Sterling's Web-site, and between that and John Demo on how to load the Wave Case I think the subject is covered on how the Case is loaded, and Unloaded.

Also I scratch my head why the case owner who had the problem did not get on the phone, call a toll free number to Sterling Gaming, and talk to Sterling Gaming before putting this all over AZB? Or was that call made, and not mentioned?
Sorry cowboy if my response seemed a bit abrupt. I understand where you may have been confused.

I didn't get on the phone with Sterling because My girlfriend has no interest in keeping the case now that we know John Barton had anything to do with it's development. That being said, I did receive an email from Matt Carter from sterling offering to try and fix the problem. He also stated that the case has a lifetime warranty which I wasn't aware of. That's a good selling point IMO for someone who is looking for a case like this.

"You can't fix stupid!"

Old
  (#7)
boradriver
AzB Silver Member
boradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6500

06-18-2011, 07:27 AM

do you have any pics of the damage that happened to the cues or shafts? In you pics it looks like the shafts are not sittting correctly. Do you have a pic looking straight down on the case?

Playing cue- pred sneaky or SW satin
Break cue - bk3
Case- Whitten or JB rugged

Old
  (#8)
CocoboloCowboy
Cowboys are my heros.

06-18-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Sorry cowboy if my response seemed a bit abrupt. I understand where you may have been confused.

I didn't get on the phone with Sterling because My girlfriend has no interest in keeping the case now that we know John Barton had anything to do with it's development. That being said, I did receive an email from Matt Carter from sterling offering to try and fix the problem. He also stated that the case has a lifetime warranty which I wasn't aware of. That's a good selling point IMO for someone who is looking for a case like this.
Sterling Gaming aka CueSight (retail side) is like the L.L. Bean of the Pool World, STANDING BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS! NICE TO KNOW THE CASE HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Old
  (#9)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster

06-18-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boradriver View Post
do you have any pics of the damage that happened to the cues or shafts? In you pics it looks like the shafts are not sittting correctly. Do you have a pic looking straight down on the case?
I do not have any photos of the damage. I immediately took it to have it wet sanded and fixed.

FYI-If you are VERY careful and push one of the shafts to the side when loading, it will not damage the finish but I wouldn't go through the hassle of having to do that everytime I load it.

"You can't fix stupid!"

Old
  (#10)
Monstermash
Lock Ness Monster

06-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadie View Post
There is a thread about this in the main forum http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=235243

Mr. Barton has also made a video to address the general use of the 2x3 interior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDLJ_6CdmsQ
I just looked at the video that John posted. I had to laugh because the interior of that case is significantly different than the one my girlfriend has. The padding on the one in the video is much thicker. JB is so full of $hit. I don't know how he can live with himself. And he calls me a liar and a hypocrite. Now THAT'S funny.

"You can't fix stupid!"

Old
  (#11)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
06-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I just looked at the video that John posted. I had to laugh because the interior of that case is significantly different than the one my girlfriend has. The padding on the one in the video is much thicker. JB is so full of $hit. I don't know how he can live with himself. And he calls me a liar and a hypocrite. Now THAT'S funny.
I will build another one on Monday with the Organic Rebound Interior and do another video on it.

Meanwhile there are several images of interiors that are exactly the same on my blog

http://jbcases.com/caseblog/2011/06/...dded-interior/

for example this one which has been in use for over three years:

And this one made for Tommy T on here;

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#12)
boradriver
AzB Silver Member
boradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond reputeboradriver has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6500

06-19-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I would like to see a pic of the interior of the case your girlfriend has if that is at all possible.

Playing cue- pred sneaky or SW satin
Break cue - bk3
Case- Whitten or JB rugged

Old
  (#13)
manwon
"WARLOCK 1"
manwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond reputemanwon has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Monstermash, I believe you have had a problem with the case, from the manner in which you have replied to any questions asked which has been nothing buy respectful even when some have chosen to attack you. At this point why not just send the case back to Sterling for a replacement. I suspect that the problem is not the design or the interior, far to many people have given only great reviews about these cases.

I suspect that something may have happened during the manufacturing process, there may be something in the interior or something from the case itself causing the problem. Lets face it shits happens, but I also understand how aggravating it can be when an expensive cue is damaged.

I hope you get this resolved, and have a great day!!

Best Regards

"Warlock 1"

Craig W. Rittel

load locations...
Old
  (#14)
EddySJ
AzB Silver Member
EddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond reputeEddySJ has a reputation beyond repute

load locations... - 06-19-2011, 03:35 PM

does the problem occur when the cues configuration is revesred... ie: move the cue with only one shaft to the side where the 1B 2S is( to the other side, not joint side down)?? Does it ocur when a different/smaller OD cue is used? As a consumer, I would like to be informed of any size limitations such as maximum length with JP's installed, max OD of joint/caps, etc... Your sending the case back for inspection/service could provide the feedback necessary to "fix" a possible issue or at least educate the buyer.

Please don't burn the case... Donate it or something. Let Sterling fix it. It seems like such a waste to go that far. JMO FWIW.

Today is the first day of the rest of your life...it will be more fun than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

Old
  (#15)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
06-20-2011, 12:43 AM

I have made another video showing the Organic Rebound interior. This is the same interior that we use for all the Sterling Wave cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxYRLKX5Q0

As you will see 2 butts and 3 shafts fit easily and comfortably in this case and do not touch at any point. Even if they did touch then it would be so slight as to be next to impossible for one shaft to damage another one with a scratch or ding.

I am sorry folks but I am calling BULLSHIT on this claim until I the actual case is inspected in our office with a variety of cues and joint protectors.

Monstermash, I feel that your "review" is really just a hit piece designed to attempt to cause me trouble. There are many customers on this forum who know that I take quality very very seriously and that we go out of our way to fix anything that is wrong.

I do not believe that your cue was damaged by proper use of our cue case. There is simply more than enough padding to keep the parts separated and no way for them to be touching, much less touching with enough pressure to cause a scratch or a ding.

Now, you are more than welcome to send the case in for us to inspect it and if we find that we can duplicate your problem or find some obvious flaw with the construction then we will certainly fix the case or replace it as well as pay for any repair charges you may have incurred. But until then I am going to stick with my original assessment that your claim is 99.99% bogus.

Just because you say it happened doesn't mean it did. And given your recent history with me I'd say that your testimony is suspect at best.

Perhaps the cue was actually damaged in the case you have which use Justis interiors where the barrier between the cues is very little and the cues are allowed to move very freely inside the cavities. I would investigate that possibility if I were you.

If you like I can make you another video which demonstrates this using the Justis case I own.

Meanwhile here is the second video for you to look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxYRLKX5Q0

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: