Sterling wave 2x3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
I would like to spend a few minutes here talking about my girlfriend's 2x3 Sterling wave case. She purchased it while we were at the SBE this year and the initial reaction was positive as she was using it as a 2x2. That was until we actually tried to use it as it was intended.

She purchased a Josey Purpleheart wrapless cue from Keith and Sherry and decided to use her old Meucci as a break cue. That left her with needing a case that would hold both of her cues. We spent some time looking around and finally settled on the Sterling wave 2x3 in case she ever wanted to add an extra shaft to her Josey.

The good:

The case has some nice features and initially it seemed to be well made considering it's made in China. It has nice large zipper pulls which was one of the things my girlfriend needed because she has long fingernails. The JB padded dividers worked quite well in keeping the shafts separated from the butts and providing adequate protection while she was using it as a 2x2. The zippers seemed to be of pretty good quality and the pouches are a nice size and easy to get items in and out of. There are two straps that allow it to be used like a backpack. There is also a nice flower pattern embossed on parts of the case and even on the inside cover. Nice touch and for Stacie and I think this is why she chose this case over several others we looked at.

The bad:

For $110 there are a LOT of other (better?) options. The case is now a few months old and even though Stacie only plays twice a week, the case is starting to show some signs of wear. Some of the stitching is starting to come loose and the top zipper sticks on occasion.

The biggest issues with the case are in regards to it's intended use. The case is intended to be a 2x3 but when we tried to use it as such, we damaged the finish on one of the shafts. I actually had to wet sand and buff the finish to correct the problem. I mentioned this in another thread and John Barton decided to trash me on his website. Take a look here to see what kind of person he really is:

http://jbcases.com/caseblog/

As most of you know he was responsible for the design of the padded interior on the Sterling cases. He for some reason can not admit when he makes a mistake or even if there was a flaw in manufacturing and if you question him he will call you a liar, leave you negative rep, and send you threatening emails. This alone is enough for me not to want to ever buy anything he is affiliated with again. In fact, I plan on buying Stacie another case and lighting the Sterling on fire. I'll be sure and post a video of it for you all to see.

Anyway, back to the review.

As I mentioned, the case has a huge problem when used as it's intended as a 2x3. When you try to slide the second shaft in when the rest of the case is full, the joint protector rubs on the finish and makes a mark. To be honest, it doesn't do it on cues that are thin at the joint so if you have a thin cue, this case may be ok for you. I have also noticed that when you are using it as a 2x3 the tips of the cue will sometimes get stuck on the padding as you try to slide it into the case. I think Sterling should consider using a larger outside tube for their 2x3 rather than trying to squeeze in the extra shaft.

Here is a few photos of the case with cues stored in it. The first photo shows it with 2 butts and two shafts. As you can see, the case does ok when used like this.

Sterling.jpg

Here is a photo with the case being used as it is intended as a 2x3. As you can see, the joint protectors are touching and unless you are very careful when sliding the second shaft in IT WILL DAMAGE the finish. Maybe it is just a defect with this case but we'll never know because JB will never admit there is a problem.

Sterling2.jpg

Conclusion:

For a cheap case, it's ok. I wouldn't buy one to use with a high end cue or one that has nice joint protectors like the one's that Jim Baxter made for Stacie's Josey. :thumbup:

There are a lot of options for cases in this price range and you could probably get a lot more protection for your money (or less) with something else. For just a little more you could buy a slightly used Swift envelope case and be much happier with the design, construction, and protection.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Here is a few photos of the case with cues stored in it. The first photo shows it with 2 butts and two shafts. As you can see, the case does ok when used like this.

Sterling.jpg

Here is a photo with the case being used as it is intended as a 2x3. As you can see, the joint protectors are touching and unless you are very careful when sliding the second shaft in IT WILL DAMAGE the finish. Maybe it is just a defect with this case but we'll never know because JB will never admit there is a problem.

Sterling2.jpg

The photos you post shows "your girlfriend" is loading the case in the wrong configuration. Cue Butts should be to the outside. Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case. When the CASE was Empty could you not see the Two Largest were to the Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case.

John Barton posted an instructional U-tube this am for information on proper loading technique.

P.S. Hope this helps! Photo from Sterling's Web-site
STW5BEcomp.jpg

Last edited:

know it all

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
case

One other thing on these cases. The 3x6 and the 4x8 it seems that they are made out cheaper vinyl, than a porper case. joes cases have a better thicker grade of vinyl. Won't buy another case from sterling,plus porpers are american MADE.
Like how you put the cues in the case to. Buy american made..

Last edited:

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
The photos you post shows "your girlfriend" is loading the case in the wrong configuration. Cue Butts should be to the outside. Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case. When the CASE was Empty could you not see the Two Largest were to the Far Left of Case, Far Right of the Case.

John Barton posted an instructional U-tube this am for information on proper loading technique.

P.S. Hope this helps! Photo from Sterling's Web-site
STW5BEcomp.jpg

Sorry but you are incorrect. The butts are loaded correctly on the far left and right of the case and the shafts are loaded in the middle. It is obvious when looking at the top of the JP's on the PFD Studios cue. Each shaft has a corresponding number on it for each shaft and the butt just has the "PFD" logo on it.

Additionally, If she were to load it the way it's shown in the last photo you posted I think it would cause significant damage to any cue loaded into that case with the pin facing down if it didn't have a JP on it. The bottom of the case is just vinal and I don't think I would want the pin hitting the ground every time the case was put on the floor.

Lastly, I'm a little offended the "your girlfriend" in quotes. John Barton insinuates that she is fictional in the same way on his website as if I need to make her up. I can tell you for a fact that I would NEVER use one of these cheap POS cases to store/carry any of my cues in. One of my PFD joint protectors costs more that this case.

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sorry but you are incorrect. The butts are loaded correctly on the far left and right of the case and the shafts are loaded in the middle. It is obvious when looking at the top of the JP's on the PFD Studios cue. Each shaft has a corresponding number on it for each shaft and the butt just has the "PFD" logo on it.

Additionally, If she were to load it the way it's shown in the last photo you posted I think it would cause significant damage to any cue loaded into that case with the pin facing down if it didn't have a JP on it. The bottom of the case is just vinal and I don't think I would want the pin hitting the ground every time the case was put on the floor.

Lastly, I'm a little offended the "your girlfriend" in quotes. John Barton insinuates that she is fictional in the same way on his website as if I need to make her up. I can tell you for a fact that I would NEVER use one of these cheap POS cases to store/carry any of my cues in. One of my PFD joint protectors costs more that this case.

Well from the photos you posted above it is hard to tell if it is a Butt Section or Shaft Section in each opening. Well I only tried to help you with the picture from Sterling's Web-site, and between that and John Demo on how to load the Wave Case I think the subject is covered on how the Case is loaded, and Unloaded.

Also I scratch my head why the case owner who had the problem did not get on the phone, call a toll free number to Sterling Gaming, and talk to Sterling Gaming before putting this all over AZB? Or was that call made, and not mentioned?

Last edited:

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
Well from the photos you posted above it is hard to tell if it is a Butt Section or Shaft Section in each opening. Well I only tried to help you with the picture from Sterling's Web-site, and between that and John Demo on how to load the Wave Case I think the subject is covered on how the Case is loaded, and Unloaded.

Also I scratch my head why the case owner who had the problem did not get on the phone, call a toll free number to Sterling Gaming, and talk to Sterling Gaming before putting this all over AZB? Or was that call made, and not mentioned?

Sorry cowboy if my response seemed a bit abrupt. I understand where you may have been confused.

I didn't get on the phone with Sterling because My girlfriend has no interest in keeping the case now that we know John Barton had anything to do with it's development. That being said, I did receive an email from Matt Carter from sterling offering to try and fix the problem. He also stated that the case has a lifetime warranty which I wasn't aware of. That's a good selling point IMO for someone who is looking for a case like this.

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
do you have any pics of the damage that happened to the cues or shafts? In you pics it looks like the shafts are not sittting correctly. Do you have a pic looking straight down on the case?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Sorry cowboy if my response seemed a bit abrupt. I understand where you may have been confused.

I didn't get on the phone with Sterling because My girlfriend has no interest in keeping the case now that we know John Barton had anything to do with it's development. That being said, I did receive an email from Matt Carter from sterling offering to try and fix the problem. He also stated that the case has a lifetime warranty which I wasn't aware of. That's a good selling point IMO for someone who is looking for a case like this.

Sterling Gaming aka CueSight (retail side) is like the L.L. Bean of the Pool World, STANDING BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS! NICE TO KNOW THE CASE HAS A LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
do you have any pics of the damage that happened to the cues or shafts? In you pics it looks like the shafts are not sittting correctly. Do you have a pic looking straight down on the case?

I do not have any photos of the damage. I immediately took it to have it wet sanded and fixed.

FYI-If you are VERY careful and push one of the shafts to the side when loading, it will not damage the finish but I wouldn't go through the hassle of having to do that everytime I load it.

Monstermash

Lock Ness Monster
Silver Member
There is a thread about this in the main forum http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=235243

Mr. Barton has also made a video to address the general use of the 2x3 interior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDLJ_6CdmsQ

I just looked at the video that John posted. I had to laugh because the interior of that case is significantly different than the one my girlfriend has. The padding on the one in the video is much thicker. JB is so full of $hit. I don't know how he can live with himself. And he calls me a liar and a hypocrite. Now THAT'S funny.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I just looked at the video that John posted. I had to laugh because the interior of that case is significantly different than the one my girlfriend has. The padding on the one in the video is much thicker. JB is so full of $hit. I don't know how he can live with himself. And he calls me a liar and a hypocrite. Now THAT'S funny.

I will build another one on Monday with the Organic Rebound Interior and do another video on it.

Meanwhile there are several images of interiors that are exactly the same on my blog

http://jbcases.com/caseblog/2011/06/18/the-2x3-padded-interior/

for example this one which has been in use for over three years:

23.JPG

25.JPG

And this one made for Tommy T on here;

TILLMANs-INTERIOR.jpg

TILLMANt-CUES.jpg

boradriver

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I would like to see a pic of the interior of the case your girlfriend has if that is at all possible.

manwon

"WARLOCK 1"
Silver Member
Monstermash, I believe you have had a problem with the case, from the manner in which you have replied to any questions asked which has been nothing buy respectful even when some have chosen to attack you. At this point why not just send the case back to Sterling for a replacement. I suspect that the problem is not the design or the interior, far to many people have given only great reviews about these cases.

I suspect that something may have happened during the manufacturing process, there may be something in the interior or something from the case itself causing the problem. Lets face it shits happens, but I also understand how aggravating it can be when an expensive cue is damaged.

I hope you get this resolved, and have a great day!!

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
load locations...

does the problem occur when the cues configuration is revesred... ie: move the cue with only one shaft to the side where the 1B 2S is( to the other side, not joint side down)?? Does it ocur when a different/smaller OD cue is used? As a consumer, I would like to be informed of any size limitations such as maximum length with JP's installed, max OD of joint/caps, etc... Your sending the case back for inspection/service could provide the feedback necessary to "fix" a possible issue or at least educate the buyer.

Please don't burn the case... Donate it or something. Let Sterling fix it. It seems like such a waste to go that far. JMO FWIW.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I have made another video showing the Organic Rebound interior. This is the same interior that we use for all the Sterling Wave cases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxYRLKX5Q0

As you will see 2 butts and 3 shafts fit easily and comfortably in this case and do not touch at any point. Even if they did touch then it would be so slight as to be next to impossible for one shaft to damage another one with a scratch or ding.

I am sorry folks but I am calling BULLSHIT on this claim until I the actual case is inspected in our office with a variety of cues and joint protectors.

Monstermash, I feel that your "review" is really just a hit piece designed to attempt to cause me trouble. There are many customers on this forum who know that I take quality very very seriously and that we go out of our way to fix anything that is wrong.

I do not believe that your cue was damaged by proper use of our cue case. There is simply more than enough padding to keep the parts separated and no way for them to be touching, much less touching with enough pressure to cause a scratch or a ding.

Now, you are more than welcome to send the case in for us to inspect it and if we find that we can duplicate your problem or find some obvious flaw with the construction then we will certainly fix the case or replace it as well as pay for any repair charges you may have incurred. But until then I am going to stick with my original assessment that your claim is 99.99% bogus.

Just because you say it happened doesn't mean it did. And given your recent history with me I'd say that your testimony is suspect at best.

Perhaps the cue was actually damaged in the case you have which use Justis interiors where the barrier between the cues is very little and the cues are allowed to move very freely inside the cavities. I would investigate that possibility if I were you.

If you like I can make you another video which demonstrates this using the Justis case I own.

Meanwhile here is the second video for you to look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxYRLKX5Q0

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I would like to spend a few minutes here talking about my girlfriend's 2x3 Sterling wave case. She purchased it while we were at the SBE this year and the initial reaction was positive as she was using it as a 2x2. That was until we actually tried to use it as it was intended.

She purchased a Josey Purpleheart wrapless cue from Keith and Sherry and decided to use her old Meucci as a break cue. That left her with needing a case that would hold both of her cues. We spent some time looking around and finally settled on the Sterling wave 2x3 in case she ever wanted to add an extra shaft to her Josey.

The good:

The case has some nice features and initially it seemed to be well made considering it's made in China. It has nice large zipper pulls which was one of the things my girlfriend needed because she has long fingernails. The JB padded dividers worked quite well in keeping the shafts separated from the butts and providing adequate protection while she was using it as a 2x2. The zippers seemed to be of pretty good quality and the pouches are a nice size and easy to get items in and out of. There are two straps that allow it to be used like a backpack. There is also a nice flower pattern embossed on parts of the case and even on the inside cover. Nice touch and for Stacie and I think this is why she chose this case over several others we looked at.

The bad:

For $110 there are a LOT of other (better?) options. The case is now a few months old and even though Stacie only plays twice a week, the case is starting to show some signs of wear. Some of the stitching is starting to come loose and the top zipper sticks on occasion.

Stacie can certainly send us the case to look at and if it is coming apart then we would certainly replace it. Many other users have been using theirs for years with no such problems.

The biggest issues with the case are in regards to it's intended use. The case is intended to be a 2x3 but when we tried to use it as such, we damaged the finish on one of the shafts. I actually had to wet sand and buff the finish to correct the problem.

There is no way that you can damage the finish on a shaft if you load this case properly. I am sitting here with an Organic Rebound interior, the same as what is in the case you show and it is next to impossible to get the shafts to touch at any point. When the shafts are squeezed together with force they will touch and then when the force is removed they go apart. With normal use there is just no way for the shafts to touch each other with enough force to damage the finish. If the finish was damaged on your cues then it was done by some other reason than normal and proper use of this case.

I mentioned this in another thread and John Barton decided to trash me on his website. Take a look here to see what kind of person he really is:

http://jbcases.com/caseblog/

You didn't just "mention it" you called me a piece of shit, said my products are pieces of shit, said I am destroying America, and so on.

As most of you know he was responsible for the design of the padded interior on the Sterling cases.

He for some reason can not admit when he makes a mistake or even if there was a flaw in manufacturing and if you question him he will call you a liar, leave you negative rep, and send you threatening emails.

Well for starters you are a liar. You received ONE negative rep from me two months ago because you got into a thread you had no business in for the sole purpose of stirring the pot. You called Matt Carter, the General Manager of Sterling Gaming a liar and said that he and I are stealing from Jay Flowers' family because of the trademark we use. When proven wrong you didn't even have the courtesy to offer an apology. So I red repped you as you action deserved. You have not received any such "threatening" emails or PMs from me whatsoever. If you have some then feel free to post them. YOU started the communication with me via PMs not the other way around. You are the one who calls me a douchebag in private among many other choice words. You have a very tenuous grip on the truth which is why this claim rings so very hollow.

This alone is enough for me not to want to ever buy anything he is affiliated with again. In fact, I plan on buying Stacie another case and lighting the Sterling on fire. I'll be sure and post a video of it for you all to see.

Go ahead. I hope that you never get the privilege of using anything I make for the rest of your life.

Anyway, back to the review.

As I mentioned, the case has a huge problem when used as it's intended as a 2x3. When you try to slide the second shaft in when the rest of the case is full, the joint protector rubs on the finish and makes a mark. To be honest, it doesn't do it on cues that are thin at the joint so if you have a thin cue, this case may be ok for you. I have also noticed that when you are using it as a 2x3 the tips of the cue will sometimes get stuck on the padding as you try to slide it into the case. I think Sterling should consider using a larger outside tube for their 2x3 rather than trying to squeeze in the extra shaft.

Nonsense. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxYRLKX5Q0

This tube fits more than 2x3. If I used the same barrier thickness as Justis does then we could fit 2x4 into this tube easily. The padding is specifically chosen to be just right for 2x3 and in fact 2 butts and 3 shafts fit easily and comfortably into this interior.

Sterling.jpg

I will admit that you have a problem. I will say that there is ALWAYS a chance that any mass produced item can be defective. However I find it to be more than a little coincidental that exactly YOU have a problem with one of my cases but the evidence is gone. Why did you not show us a top down picture? As you can see on my website almost every picture we take is top down so that the customer can see the interior without cues and with cues inside.

Sterling2.jpg

Conclusion:

For a cheap case, it's ok. I wouldn't buy one to use with a high end cue or one that has nice joint protectors like the one's that Jim Baxter made for Stacie's Josey. :thumbup:

Hmmm, funny that some many AZers use these cases in this configuration for their high end cues with no problem whatsoever.

There are a lot of options for cases in this price range and you could probably get a lot more protection for your money (or less) with something else. For just a little more you could buy a slightly used Swift envelope case and be much happier with the design, construction, and protection.

No, there aren't any cases in this price range which provide more protection.

You are just being hateful and spiteful because you think that people will believe your nonsense.

I won't allow you to get away with this type of hit piece that is completely full of holes.

But, I will remind you of what you told Matt Carter when you basically called him a liar for exposing the thief who was ripping everyone off with counterfeit J.Flowers cases.

You said, 'Did you contact the seller first before putting him under the bus?' or something like that.

So my question to you is why didn't you bother to contact the seller first?

I think that the answer to that is that you had to make up an "issue" that you thought would bring me down. But in fact it only gives me more opportunity to triple check my work and show the world that what we do is secure and focused on cue protection.

Have a nice day.

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
You know, Tiger Woods is a talented golfer, but he will NEVER be the greatest. That's because to be the greatest takes talent and CHARACTER...and Tiger LACKS character!
Likewise, John Barton is talented but also lacks character! You need only read his blog to learn how truly disrespectful this man is to the very people who have bought his products!

MM, I got an idea...rather than return the Sterling case or trash it, why not put it up for sale in the "For Sale" forum. Lets see how many of these JB supporters bid on this defective case!

cfrandy

AKA: The Road Runner
Silver Member
One other thing on these cases. The 3x6 and the 4x8 it seems that they are made out cheaper vinyl, than a porper case. joes cases have a better thicker grade of vinyl. Won't buy another case from sterling,plus porpers are american MADE.
Like how you put the cues in the case to. Buy american made..

Ditto!

How often do you hear people in the forum scream "cheap import"! Why don't they scream "cheap import" re: JB Cases? If you demand American made cues, why not demand American made cases too?
The fact that Barton uses Chinese labor demonstrates his greed!
BUY AMERICAN!

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
You know, Tiger Woods is a talented golfer, but he will NEVER be the greatest. That's because to be the greatest takes talent and CHARACTER...and Tiger LACKS character!
Likewise, John Barton is talented but also lacks character! You need only read his blog to learn how truly disrespectful this man is to the very people who have bought his products!

MM, I got an idea...rather than return the Sterling case or trash it, why not put it up for sale in the "For Sale" forum. Lets see how many of these JB supporters bid on this defective case!

Do it. That case will sell in less than an hour. You can bet on it.

You can say whatever you want to but MonsterMash is making a mountain out of a molehill AT BEST.

I see no evidence that MonsterMash purchased a case from me. I see that his girlfriend bought one and whoever purchased a case that I had anything to do with is more than welcome to send it back for inspection.

Anyone who treats me with respect and doesn't lie about me gets the same treatment in return. It's a simple equation.

There are many folks on here who can testify that I have bent over backwards to take care of them when they have a problem with one of my cases.

Just be glad that I have enough character to CARE about whether my cases damage cues or not. Enough character to spend several hours going over my interiors AGAIN just to be absolutely sure that I didn't screw up and unleash a bunch of cue-damaging cases into the world.

You don't get it. This MonsterMash person has been looking to bring me down for several months now. So he gets a scratch in his shaft, so he says, and blames the case I made for it. Only the story doesn't add up.

Not only is the supposedly damaged shaft all fixed now but the cues can't possibly touch in any way that would damage a shaft like that. Of that I am 100% confident.

It's not about being number one, or having "character". It's about defending my reputation and the core principle my business is built on. I am always heartbroken whenever someone claims that their cues were damaged in one of my cases. This happens at least once a year.

And in twenty years I have only found it to be true just once. When that happened I fixed the case and paid for the customer's Cognoscenti shafts to be refinished and it was all good.

Trust me, IF there was no backstory here and IF Monster Mash were civil and polite then I'd be bending over backwards to take care of him.

But as it is I could care less about how he feels. I just want to see this case and am betting he won't ship it to Sterling. I promise you and everyone here that if this case is found to be defective in such a way that it could have caused some damage to a cue then I will be on here prostrating myself with an apology to Stacie for delivering a case that failed her.

Status
Not open for further replies.