Reload this Page Inside spin on cutshots- Help a banger
Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Inside spin on cutshots- Help a banger
Old
  (#1)
Dockter
AzB Silver Member
Dockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Inside spin on cutshots- Help a banger - 10-22-2015, 02:07 PM

I'll start off saying I've always been terrible at cutting balls on the rail. I'm a decent banker and the majority of the time I would find a bank rather than trying the cut.

A long time ago I seen someone mention using top inside spin on a long cut down the rail and it worked wonders for me. I've made cuts that I wouldn't have thought I had any chance at before I started taking pool a little more serious.

So now I'm asking all you experts why this seems to work so well? I'm sure some of it is the boost in confidence I have after practicing them over and over and I no longer go up thinking "well here goes another miss" but even when I first started trying it out it worked wonders.

Old
  (#2)
ElCorazonFrio
Banned
ElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond reputeElCorazonFrio has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockter View Post
I'll start off saying I've always been terrible at cutting balls on the rail. I'm a decent banker and the majority of the time I would find a bank rather than trying the cut.

A long time ago I seen someone mention using top inside spin on a long cut down the rail and it worked wonders for me. I've made cuts that I wouldn't have thought I had any chance at before I started taking pool a little more serious.

So now I'm asking all you experts why this seems to work so well? I'm sure some of it is the boost in confidence I have after practicing them over and over and I no longer go up thinking "well here goes another miss" but even when I first started trying it out it worked wonders.
My theory based on having taught myself rail shots eons ago:

The inside english widens the margin of error for the rail shot by allowing the cueball to hit the rail at *nearly* the same time as the Oball or slightly before the Oball. The spin increases the rebound angle and serves to spin the object ball into the rail slightly.

Old
  (#3)
Drop The Rock
1652nd on AZ Money List
Drop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCorazonFrio View Post
My theory based on having taught myself rail shots eons ago:

The inside english widens the margin of error for the rail shot by allowing the cueball to hit the rail at *nearly* the same time as the Oball or slightly before the Oball. The spin increases the rebound angle and serves to spin the object ball into the rail slightly.
Exactly.

You are also a lot less likely to over cut a ball as a result and wont under cut because of the squirt.

That being said cueball control matters so using too much inside can cost you and you should get used to using outside center etc.

Mathers

Proud Dad, Struggling Pool Player

Old
  (#4)
Drop The Rock
1652nd on AZ Money List
Drop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond reputeDrop The Rock has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 02:30 PM

I do have to make this point though because it is something I am trying to overcome. Accepting that a certain way works for you is an excuse not do it another. Try and approach difficult shots from an analytical standpoint above the table and when you get down to shoot get steely and fire it in

Mathers

Proud Dad, Struggling Pool Player

Inside cut shots
Old
  (#5)
qfans
AzB Silver Member
qfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond reputeqfans has a reputation beyond repute

Inside cut shots - 10-22-2015, 03:01 PM

i believe it's the spin transferred to the object ball which allows it to contact the rail but still slide down it without moving to far away from the rail, when it contacts the outside of the pocket the spin is then transferred again which sends the ball into the pocket or to the other side of the pocket at such an angle it drops. It the old gears or cogs theory where spin is transferred. Imagine the object ball rolling down the Rail while it spinning as if you had hit the object ball w inside spin. Or try this shoot a frozen cue ball above the side pocket down in the corner pocket, try shooting it with outside spin Good Luck! Now try it using a center hit same result Good try! Now try it using inside spin, the ball will slide right down the rail into the pocket, it does take practice tho. The ball actually leaves the rail but the spin can bring it back in line like deflection on a non LD. Shaft. Hope this helps and not to drawn out!

Old
  (#6)
Dockter
AzB Silver Member
Dockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond reputeDockter has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop The Rock View Post
I do have to make this point though because it is something I am trying to overcome. Accepting that a certain way works for you is an excuse not do it another. Try and approach difficult shots from an analytical standpoint above the table and when you get down to shoot get steely and fire it in
Completely understand what you are saying because when I'm shooting a rail cut that's below the first diamond my percentage falls lower actually because using this crutch I tend to scratch, but it has helped tremendously on the mid rail cut shots that I used to miss or bank.

I appreciate the replies guys!

Edit: For some reason my computer doesn't appreciate it as much as me because I'm unable to send greenies at the moment.

Last edited by Dockter; 10-22-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Old
  (#7)
ElLeon
Headshot
ElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond reputeElLeon has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Completely understand what you are saying because when I'm shooting a rail cut that's below the first diamond my percentage falls lower actually because using this crutch I tend to scratch, but it has helped tremendously on the mid rail cut shots that I used to miss or bank.

I appreciate the replies guys!
You can also use this technique with low, inside English which will lower the chances of this scratch.

This was a common occurrence for me until I tried low, inside English rather than running English (high, inside).

• Stirling Moss once said “There are two things no man will admit he cannot do well: drive and make love.”

• But then smarter Albert Einstein said, “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.”

Old
  (#8)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member
pdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I have not checked - but I would expect Dr Dave has plenty of good info on this subject.

Dale

Old
  (#9)
couldnthinkof01
AzB Silver Member
couldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond reputecouldnthinkof01 has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 06:49 PM

It only depends what position you need on the next ball. Get comfortable with using all spins on every shot. Shoot that same shot with right, low, left, high and any variation thereof.

Cueball control is the name of the game. Try not to use English as a crutch for making certain kinds of shots.

Hope this helps.

Old
  (#10)
Keith Jawahir
AzB Silver Member
Keith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Jawahir has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 07:17 PM

Thorsten has a video somewhere of him running out a rail drill with a head mounted camera on. it's interesting to see it from a pro's point of view and very helpful in seeing how to align the shot using different spins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleary View Post
People always try to come up with "what's wrong with pool", "how do we fix pool"... want to know what's wrong with pool? The people who play pool. That's what's wrong with pool. Case closed.

Old
  (#11)
Tennesseejoe
AzB Silver Member
Tennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond reputeTennesseejoe has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Is the object ball on the rail or just close??? Need to know this to comment.

"Man can neither love nor hate what he does not know." Cicero

Old
  (#12)
JB Cases
www.jbcases.com
JB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond reputeJB Cases has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5700
  Send a message via AIM to JB Cases Send a message via MSN to JB Cases Send a message via Yahoo to JB Cases Send a message via Skype™ to JB Cases 
10-22-2015, 07:59 PM

IMO it's because you are spinning into the contact point, essentially a tiny kick shot. As opposed to using center ball where you simply have to hit it perfect or outside where you have to aim off the ball to throw the cueball into the contact position.

OR......come on flames.....learn to use a good aiming system and then you can use any spin you need to and aren't confined to inside with the thinking that this is the only good way to insure that you pocket the ball. The opposite is when we were taught that you should use outside for some cut shots to impart helper english to the object ball. A good aiming system eliminates all that myth.

Design Your Own Case. <---click here
The world's first and only online cue case designer brought to you by JB Cases. Try it.

jb@jbcases.com Skype: jbideas

Center To Edge Aiming Works. See it for yourself here.

Stan Shuffet's You Tube Channel. - CTE Demonstrations

"No such thing as a 1/2 ball hit....." - Duckie

Old
  (#13)
Cross
AzB Silver Member
Cross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond reputeCross has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post
IMO it's because you are spinning into the contact point, essentially a tiny kick shot. As opposed to using center ball where you simply have to hit it perfect or outside where you have to aim off the ball to throw the cueball into the contact position.

OR......come on flames.....learn to use a good aiming system and then you can use any spin you need to and aren't confined to inside with the thinking that this is the only good way to insure that you pocket the ball. The opposite is when we were taught that you should use outside for some cut shots to impart helper english to the object ball. A good aiming system eliminates all that myth.
I have heard of CTE but have no idea how to apply it. But will cte or any other aiming system eliminate the need to factor in cut induced and spin induced throw?

Old
  (#14)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member
pdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond reputepdcue has a reputation beyond repute

10-22-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB Cases View Post

Really -. How many more times are you going to try to drag CTE arguments back into the Main Forum?

They set up a separate but equal area for "Aiming Discussions" - for the love of God, please use it.

Dale(someone had to say it)

Old
  (#15)
pdcue
AzB Silver Member

10-22-2015, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseejoe View Post
Is the object ball on the rail or just close??? Need to know this to comment.
The OP specifically said "cutting balls ON the rail"

Dale

Page 1 of 4 1 23 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: