Just FYI...
Old
  (#1)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Lightbulb Just FYI... - 06-25-2017, 09:29 AM

Anything anyone thinks that we should all know...post it up and share your FYI. Thanks, Jim

Friday, June 17, 2016

3 ways Congress hides its voting record from you

by The Uncommon Wisdom Daily Team

Dear,

When was the last time you thought about how laws are made in the U.S.? Probably not since high school civics class.

In a nutshell, here's how it works ...

First, a Representative sponsors a bill. Then it goes to a committee for study where it is put on a calendar to be voted on, debated or amended.

If it passes by a simple majority (218 of 435), it moves to the Senate. And once again, the bill goes to a committee.

After getting at least 51 of the 100 Senators to agree on the Senate's version, a conference committee made of House and Senate members hammers out any differences between their two versions of the bill.

This process is reversed if a Senator is the first to sponsor a bill.

The President then has 10 days to sign or veto the final version.

We here at the Sound Dollar Committee believe there are already too many laws coming out of Washington. Nonetheless, passing new laws and amending existing ones is one of the main reasons why we send women and men to Congress.

The current 114th Congress (2015-'16) has passed 132 laws. Does everyone show up to debate and vote on all these laws? Hardly. You can check the percentage of votes your Congressmen missed here. It's also question that has been brought up in this year's Presidential campaign.

We wrote on Feb. 10, that Ted Cruz missed 31% of the Senate roll call votes over the past year. Marco Rubio skipped out on 37%.

Updated numbers through March 22 show Rubio missing 43%, Cruz 37% and Bernie Sanders 21%.

So for his stellar attendance, we give Bernie a gold star.

During her 2008 bid, Sen. Hillary Clinton was AWOL for 31% of the votes from March 20, 2007, to March 18, 2008.

Nothing to be proud of. But far from the worst. Barack Obama missed 35% during that same period, and John McCain 61%.

You may think that we're better off when they vote less. And that's a valid point. Still, you'll likely agree that it's important to know how they vote when they do show up. Right?

But that's not always possible because there's ...

Not a record of all Congressional votes!

Roll call votes are recorded daily. You can go to the Congressional Record and see how your Congressman voted ... or if he wasn't at work that day.

However, not all floor votes are roll call votes. There are voice votes when Members call out “aye” or “no” when a question is first put by the Speaker. It can be difficult, though, for the Speaker to determine, based on the volume of each response, whether more lawmakers shouted "Aye" or "No."

If the Speaker is uncertain about the outcome of a voice vote, or if a Member demands a division vote after a voice vote is taken, the Speaker may have those in favor of the question ... first rise from their seats to be counted, and then those opposed.

The problem in our mind is that with voice votes and standing votes there is not a record by name on how a member voted.

For example, take the "Airport and Airway Extension Act of 2016," which the House passed on March 14. This Bill has to do with improving airports in the Republic of the Marshall Islands and surrounding area.

Unless you live in that section of the world, it's not the kind of legislation you would normally care about. But you're almost guaranteed that the money to fund those projects is coming out of your pocket.

Can you find out how your Representative voted? Nope. That's because it was passed by voice vote — so no record exists.

Then the Senate passed it on March 17. Want to know how your Senators voted? Good luck. The Senate passed it by Unanimous Consent.

This lets a Senator bring up a Bill, and if no one objects, it's passed. Again, no record of who was even in the Chamber looking out for taxpayer interest.

The dog ate my homework

There's not a whole lot we can do about how laws are passed and records kept. You could ask your Congressmen how they voted on a specific Bill. And if they didn't vote, it is customary for House members (unlike the Senate) to give an explanation when they missed a vote.

So you might get excuses like these:

“Mr. Speaker, on Wednesday, March 5, 2014 I was inadvertently detained on rollcall vote 97. Had I been present to vote I would have voted yes.”

Eric A. Crawford, R-Ark., March 6, 2014

“Mr. Speaker, on rollcall Nos. 441, 442 I would not participate in what I strongly believe was an abuse of power by the majority who, for illegitimate reasons, chose to hold the Attorney General, Eric Holder, in contempt of Congress. I was against the rollcall votes. Had I been present, I would have voted nay.”

Janice D. Schakowsky, D-Ill., June 29, 2012

“Madam Speaker, yesterday I accidentally electronically voted 'yea' twice for rollcall 170. Consequently, the subsequent vote (rollcall 171) indicated that I was 'Not Voting'. Madam Speaker, it was my intention to vote 'yea' on the last recorded vote on March 22, It is of vital importance we care for our disabled veterans who have personally sacrificed to protect our liberties. I fully support The Veterans Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act.”

Michele Bachmann, R-Minn., March 23, 2010

“Madam Speaker, on rollcall 689 and 690, I would have voted Aye, but family responsibilities kept me from the Chamber. I believe enactment of this legislation would have helped the people of Tennessee. Due to a miscommunication on which vote was pending, my staff released inaccurate information to the press that I was in the Chamber and attempted to vote. I regret the confusion and want the Record to reflect my support for both measures.”

Bart Gordon, D-Tenn., Jan. 3, 2009

Valid excuses or a graceful way to dodge votes meant to put lawmakers on the hot seat? We'll let you decide.

We deserve more transparency

Congress is in session for around 120 days out of the year ... off half of July and all of August. And with an annual starting salary of $174,000 don't you think they could at least take the time to come up with a way to publish how they voted on every Bill presented? Our country's well-being and our tax dollars are at stake here.

And if they're overworked or can't get back to Washington to do their jobs, maybe they should limit the number of Bills introduced or allow telecommuting to vote. Easy solution and problem solved.

Best wishes,

The Uncommon Wisdom Daily Team

Old
  (#2)
Sev
I taut I saw a pussy cat!
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

06-25-2017, 12:44 PM

It is all smoke and mirrors.
They should have an app for that.

Keep your head down and admire the shot.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Yep. Sev is smarter than you all."
"I dont know much."
"I'm just a flea along for the ride."--366Robin

Revelations of truth undermine a foundation of belief built on lies.---Sev

Old
  (#3)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?
jimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond reputejimmyg has a reputation beyond repute

06-27-2017, 07:30 PM

"Young Virginia Democrat" Sentenced To Prison For Registering Dead People To Vote

"He’s smart, and he understands the [political] process..."

Jun 27, 2017 7:45 PM

Old
  (#4)
Sev
Sev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond reputeSev has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
"Young Virginia Democrat" Sentenced To Prison For Registering Dead People To Vote

"He’s smart, and he understands the [political] process..."

Jun 27, 2017 7:45 PM
But they said there is no voter fraud.

COVFEFE!!

“Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.”---Martin Luther King, Jr.

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#5)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
06-28-2017, 05:44 AM

Personally I think that all members of congress should have to vote on 100% of the things that go to a vote. There should be a process in place that removes them if they fail to vote on at least 98% of the things that go to a vote or whatever really high number makes sense. Excuses for missing a vote should be limited to serious illness or death to them or an immediate family member, and subject to verification from a Dr etc. If you are too busy to do your job, which in this case requires educating yourself on the issues that are to be going to a vote, and then showing up to vote on them, then you shouldn't be in that job.

Old
  (#6)
deadbeat
AzB Silver Member
deadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond reputedeadbeat has a reputation beyond repute

06-28-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolplaya9 View Post
Personally I think that all members of congress should have to vote on 100% of the things that go to a vote. There should be a process in place that removes them if they fail to vote on at least 98% of the things that go to a vote or whatever really high number makes sense. Excuses for missing a vote should be limited to serious illness or death to them or an immediate family member, and subject to verification from a Dr etc. If you are too busy to do your job, which in this case requires educating yourself on the issues that are to be going to a vote, and then showing up to vote on them, then you shouldn't be in that job.

You mean they should treat it like a job ....... I agree.

Old
  (#7)
Sev

06-28-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbeat View Post
You mean they should treat it like a job ....... I agree.
They only work about 105 days a year.
Congress should only be open for business 1 month out of every 3. Their pay and benefits should be decreased to reflect their part time status.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Government For Sale...Ours...
Old
  (#8)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?

Government For Sale...Ours... - 06-28-2017, 06:42 AM

The Firm That Created the Dossier Refuses to Produce Docs to Congress

Posted Jun 28, 2017 by Martin Armstrong

The clandestine firm that created the false dossier on Trump is refusing to cooperate with Congress. They are refusing to turn over to congress information of not just how the report was crafted, but who paid for it.

The Senate Judiciary Committee threatened now to subpoena the firm, Fusion GPS, after it refused to answer questions and provide records to the panel. They have been ordered to identify who financed the fake dossier, which was circulated during the election and has sparked much of the Russian scandal now engulfing the White House cost untold millions so far in investigations.

The firm is clearly a partisan operation that is typical of Washington DC based research. They will turn out whatever they are told for big bucks. The firm has gotten caught with its hand in the cookie jar because the mainstream media has used the Russian scam to constantly bash Trump. Fusion GPS describes itself as a “research and strategic intelligence firm” founded by “three former Wall Street Journal investigative reporters.” You might as well say three cab drivers since being a journalist does not qualify as having experience in anything except English class.

This is one firm that may have flown too close to the political sun and it could find itself with melting wings and in prison.

Last edited by jimmyg; 06-28-2017 at 04:34 PM.

Old
  (#9)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?

06-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Top Canadian Court Permits Worldwide Internet Censorship

A country has the right to prevent the world’s Internet users from accessing information, Canada’s highest court ruled on Wednesday...

Jun 28, 2017 7:25 PM

Old
  (#10)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?

06-29-2017, 04:35 PM

The Main Reason Congress Is Getting So Little Done Is... They Will Have 218 Days Off In 2017

Would you like to have a job that gave you 218 days off a year? According to the official calendar put out by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the House of Representatives will only be in session for 147 days in 2017.

Jun 29, 2017 4:45 PM

Old
  (#11)
time to play no
AzB Silver Member
time to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond reputetime to play no has a reputation beyond repute

06-30-2017, 04:14 AM

Is that Todd Chrissley's boy?

Old
  (#12)
LWW
DEPLORABLE!
LWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond reputeLWW has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-30-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
They only work about 105 days a year.
Congress should only be open for business 1 month out of every 3. Their pay and benefits should be decreased to reflect their part time status.
Pull the AC and see how many want to keep hammering out bills though July/August/September.

"I can't stand you (LWW). You're one of the worst people I've ever known...You can rot in hell you pathetic loser."
-Bishop-

"Whether or not its a lie is irrelevant."
-Bishop-

"I have better things to do than worry about fact checking whats being published ..."
-336Robin-

"I support Antifa"
-poolfool1957-

"I have high hopes that you (LWW) and your sympathizers will be led to the gallows."
-9BallPaul-

Old
  (#13)
Sev

06-30-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
Top Canadian Court Permits Worldwide Internet Censorship

A country has the right to prevent the world’s Internet users from accessing information, Canada’s highest court ruled on Wednesday...

Jun 28, 2017 7:25 PM
Who would have thought the Canadians are such totalitarians.

COVFEFE!!

"I dont know much."

Old
  (#14)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?

07-02-2017, 01:00 PM

12 Dogs Test Positive For Cocaine In "Largest (Florida) Greyhound Drug Case In American History"

"This is the largest greyhound drug case in American history...This is staggering."

Jul 2, 2017 3:00 PM

I have not verified any of this info...
Old
  (#15)
jimmyg
Mook! What's a Mook?

I have not verified any of this info... - 07-03-2017, 08:58 AM

Keeping communications private in the age of Big Brother (a practical HOWTO)

12291 Views May 18, 2017 50 Comments

Dear friends,

I have decided to share with you something which I originally sent out to the key members of the Saker community: my recommendation on how to keep your private communications private in the age of “Big Brother” aka NSA, ECHELON, GCHQ, Unit 8200, etc. I have been interested in the topic of encryption for many years already, and I have had to use encryption techniques in the past to protect myself from snooping by indelicate employers. There have also been some discussions inside the Saker community of what did and did not work for us. I have now come to the conclusion that there are two services out there which I feel I can recommend to our entire community, one for emails and another for messaging/audio/video/file sharing. Why two different services rather than one?

The truth is that the confidentiality issues with email are unique and require a unique solution. Typically, emails are designed to remain kept on some kind of storage device whereas most telephone calls or video conferences are not recorded (at least not by the participants).

Let’s look at these two issues separately.

ABSTRACT: if you want to protect your communication from any kind of snooping, including government snooping, the most reliable and advanced solution currently available are:

For your emails: Prontonmail https://protonmail.com/ (free of charge)

For your messaging/telephone/video/filesharing needs: the Silent Phone app for Android and iOS https://www.silentcircle.com/product...ions/software/ ($9.99/month)
—-
Link to full article with videos: http://thesaker.is/keeping-communica...actical-howto/

Page 1 of 25 1 2311 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: