Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Instruction & Ask the pros > Ask The Instructor
Reload this Page Vision center, and what not to do about it
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

06-04-2019, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC21 View Post
I just laid a cue on the table and propped it up with a piece of chalk under the ferrule and a notebook under the butt cap. I lined up to shoot the cb straight into the center of the far corner pocket, using only my finger tips to move the butt end of the cue to what looked correctly aligned through ccb and to center pocket. Then I marked on the notebook paper where the center line of the cue was. I did the same thing with my left eye closed, and again with my right closed. Each time I simply lined the cue up to what looked like a ccb to center pocket shot, and each shot was pretty much dead on the first mark I had made.
I'm moderately dominant and like the stick just favoring that side.

When I close one eye and then the other the stick jumps back and forth noticably - two distinctly different pictures. The one seen by my dominant eye looks closer to straight than the other, but not as straight as the single stick I see with both eyes open. The pic below shows an exaggerated version of it.

pj
chgo

Name:  binocular vision.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  90.0 KB

Last edited by Patrick Johnson; 06-04-2019 at 05:38 PM.

Old
  (#32)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-04-2019, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
I'm moderately dominant and like the stick just favoring that side.

When I close one eye and then the other the stick jumps back and forth noticably - two distinctly different pictures. The one seen by my dominant eye looks closer to straight than the other, but not as straight as the single stick I see with both eyes open. The pic below shows an exaggerated version of it.

pj
chgo

Attachment 521977
Cool images. Naturally you'll get a different perspective from each eye. But it's pretty simple to just move your head or whole body over in order to have a straight on view/perspective again. If I'd have kept my head still in my little experiment then neither of my single eye perspectives would have come close to what I got using both eyes.

I guess my point is this: It shouldn't make any difference. Left eye dominant, right eye dominant, or no dominant eye at all, there is still a focal point of vision that we use to line up the shot through center cb. A dominant eye would just make it so you'd have to move your head right or left a little in order to obtain a center cb perspective that looks correct.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Last edited by BC21; 06-05-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Old
  (#33)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Cool images. Naturally you'll get a different perspective from each eye. But it's pretty simple to just move your head or whole body over in order to have a straight on view/perspective again. If I'd have kept my head still in my little experiment then neither of my single eye perspectives would have come close to what I got using both eyes.

I guess my point is this: It shouldn't make any difference. Left eye dominant, right eye dominant, or no dominant eye at all, there is still a focal point of vision that we use to line up the shot through center cb. A dominant eye would just make it so you'd have to move your head right or left a little in order to obtain a center cb perspective that looks correct.
Yes, the "vision center" is the head position where your stick appears to be right on your line of sight when it actually is. I don't think it's perfectly resolvable for everybody, though - some (most?) of us have to "adjust" our visual interpretation a little so things "look right". Binocular vision is a complex thing, especially for odd tasks like aiming a shaft from above.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#34)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Very interesting. I play with a guy that turns his head at an odd angle, like he's using only one eye. I suppose we each do what we have to do in order to make the cue stick/shaft look properly aligned for the shot. But it seems like once you get that particular perspective, get your vision center in the correct position, despite having or not having a dominant eye, what you see as center cb is probably correct. I have no dominate eye, so I can't speak from experience.

I just laid a cue on the table and propped it up with a piece of chalk under the ferrule and a notebook under the butt cap. I lined up to shoot the cb straight into the center of the far corner pocket, using only my finger tips to move the butt end of the cue to what looked correctly aligned through ccb and to center pocket. Then I marked on the notebook paper where the center line of the cue was. I did the same thing with my left eye closed, and again with my right closed. Each time I simply lined the cue up to what looked like a ccb to center pocket shot, and each shot was pretty much dead on the first mark I had made. I had to shift my head and stance each time in order to get a perspective that looked like ccb to center pocket, but each time the cue stick ended up in the same place on the same line, and from each perspective the cue tip looked dead on center cb.

Wouldn't this be a simulated worse case scenario, where there is 100% left or right eye dominance? Yet it made no difference on where the cue stick ended up. Weird stuff.
What do you mean by "get your vision center in the correct position?"

Old
  (#35)
BC21
Poolology

BC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond reputeBC21 has a reputation beyond repute

06-05-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranCrimi View Post
What do you mean by "get your vision center in the correct position?"
By "vision center" I mean your head, the entire processing center for vision. We see with our eyes and our brain, a powerful combo tucked inside the head. Getting your head in the correct position over the cue in order to obtain the proper images, proper perspective, or line of sight for the shot, is what I'm talking about when I say "vision center". I should've just said, "get your head in the correct position".

If you're blind in one eye, your head is going to have to be positioned so that the cue is under your good eye, directly on the line of sight, which means you will have to stand/position your head in a manner that allows the line of sight to look correct. With perfect binocular vision (no blind eye and no dominance in either eye), the cue is between both eyes, neither eye directly on the line of sight.

POOLOLOGY
YouTube
Brian Crist

Old
  (#36)
greyghost
exile
greyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond reputegreyghost has a reputation beyond repute

07-12-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, the "vision center" is the head position where your stick appears to be right on your line of sight when it actually is. I don't think it's perfectly resolvable for everybody, though - some (most?) of us have to "adjust" our visual interpretation a little so things "look right". Binocular vision is a complex thing, especially for odd tasks like aiming a shaft from above.

pj

chgo

I think itís more resolvable than most think. The issue imop isnít eye dominance its the angling and cocking of the head many do which Iíd mostly finger their stance as the root that created those head position/s.

We surely in general never have issues doing daily activities or seeing things with our vision centered....and we usually do center what we see and are doing in the center of our heads......start torquing everything upstairs around like a cat and we see farther around sides or tops and bottoms instead of and equal ratio that is centered unto itself.

If I put my cue to one side or the other I can pocket balls to not as consistently precise as centered.....now if I start tilting my head left and right on the vertical axis.....Iíll get the nearsies real bad.

Iím right eye domnate shoot lefty and cue is centered. My stance is more snooker than pool as well.

Iíve taken side cue players and centered them up and they surpassed their former plateau....generally laughing as to why they didnít put it in the middle from the get go like we do with everything in the rest of our daily routine.

The brain can relearn whatever but feeding it lop sided and skewed images never made a lick a sense to this ghost.

Unless you got those crazy eyes like homeboy off Mr. Deeds....then sure sure I concede to such oddness lol

-Greyghost

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old
  (#37)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day

07-12-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by greyghost View Post
I think itís more resolvable than most think. The issue imop isnít eye dominance its the angling and cocking of the head many do which Iíd mostly finger their stance as the root that created those head position/s.
I often have to remind myself to "face the shot" - it's one of many things on my perpetual whack-a-mole list of things to learn to do automatically.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#38)
FranCrimi
AzB Silver Member
FranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond reputeFranCrimi has a reputation beyond repute

07-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I often have to remind myself to "face the shot" - it's one of many things on my perpetual whack-a-mole list of things to learn to do automatically.

pj
chgo
Ha! It's one of my favorite lines to tell my clients. "Face the shot or you'll wind up shooting pool looking over your shoulder."

Old
  (#39)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

07-13-2019, 12:18 PM

Here is a pretty simple test to set up to test your center.

The pvc pipes are 3/4in x 12in. If you really want to get more serious use a couple of 1/8" rods on mounts.

Set the shot up like you going to pocket the 8 ball. Bend down to shoot the 8 ball in, are the pipes still exactly in line. Or do you have
to move your head from side to side to get the pvc pipes to line up. Then stand up and repeat the exercise.

John
Attached Images

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 07-14-2019 at 10:11 AM.

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: