Darren disqualified in a straight pool match?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
How was the health of Orcullo or the spectators in danger? It's hard for me to picture a scenario that doesn't leave me believing this comment is a stretch from reality. I mean we're you really in fear that someone could have been hurt?
I was sitting four feet from the path of the 13 ball. It hit about head-high on the drapes/concrete wall behind me with a rather remarkable "thwack". If I had been sitting four feet to my left, the ball might have hit me in the face. You might try jumping a ball to get that elevation in that distance and see how hard you have to hit it.

Do you understand now?

shinobi

kanadajindayo
Silver Member
I was sitting four feet from the path of the 13 ball. It hit about head-high on the drapes/concrete wall behind me with a rather remarkable "thwack". If I had been sitting four feet to my left, the ball might have hit me in the face. You might try jumping a ball to get that elevation in that distance and see how hard you have to hit it.

Do you understand now?

In the history of pool, I wonder if any pro has ever throw their cue like a javelin, out of anger.

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
Just how dangerous is a pool ball to the head at velocity? We used to play pool at the bowling alley while our parents got drunk and bowled. As mischievous kids do when left unattended we often found ourselves getting into trouble. We would break the balls wildly out of control and try to launch the cue ball as high as we could in the hopes of shattering the light bulb. Most of the time we'd launch it fairly safely straight up into the air and it would crash back down onto the slate or hit the side of the table and fall to the ground. Again I say most of the time..

Now it was my turn and I let loose hitting the edge of the front ball, launching the cue ball into the air. When it finally came down it landed on a ladies head about three tables over back and to the left. Knocked her out cold and and when she awoke she was bleeding profusely and must have been concussed.

I never heard again about that lady and I hope she survived. But I did learn a valuable lesson and even to this day I never break the balls until everyone is clear of the back of the table.

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
In the history of pool, I wonder if any pro has ever throw their cue like a javelin, out of anger.

I have seen an league player do that. Cue was in the drywall like a spear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
I saw a guy get a really nasty black eye in the same kind of situation. His face really swelled up and he almost passed out. That happened in spite of the fact that a lot of the speed of the ball had been taken off by the head ball in the rack. If you just barely skim the head ball at full break speed and hit someone just right (to the temple or back of the head) I believe it is possible to kill someone this way. You have to be extremely unlucky for it to happen, but I believe it could.

I was playing a tournament in the Netherlands and the opponent hit the cueball so hard that it skimmed the one ball and came straight at my face. I moved my head slightly to the right and the cue ball EMBEDDED itself into the wall next to me. We had to pry it out. Since then I almost never stand behind the rack when someone is breaking.

efirkey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell you as one of the very few people here who has been hit in the head with a cueball that it does indeed hurt, however no real damage has been done that I am aware of.

I was breaking at the same time that someone behind me was breaking and somehow the cueball went airborn and hit me squarely in the back of my head. Thank heavens it wasn't Mike Dechaine.

I did what Darren did about a year ago and I felt like the biggest jerk on the planet afterwards. I wouldn't blame anyone for disqualifying me in that particular match except myself as I'm sure Darren does.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think there was a pro who was hit in the mouth and lost teeth during a gambling match. i mean i heard that but never had it verified. But didn't Daz spear it one handed? It happened so quick. I've seen a few pros spear at a ball but they were always able to hold back enough or just lucky enough not to actually do it.

Regardless whether he hit it at high velocity or not, i cant imagine the dq decision was made based on jeopardizing someones safety? What if there was just a wall there or no spectators in the house and Dennis is sitting on the other side. All is good?

Last edited:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Not too long ago my buddy turned his head just as the cue ball skimmed
the head ball on a bad break. Broke his nose, plenty of blood.
This is from someone who doesn't break 20 mph+.
At 25-30 mph you could end up needing surgery.

xplor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quote:I believe it is possible to kill someone this way.

Did anyone ever tell you the story of David and Goliath?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I can dell yu as won of the fery fvew piple har whu hass bean thit in tha head with a cuebell that it dusss indede hurth, whowever no reel damag as bean dun that I am beware of.

Are you sure no real damage was done?

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
I kind of lost some respect for Daz when he won the world championship, and jumped onto the Pool table and stood on it and acted like a monkey. I expected better from a pro.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kind of lost some respect for Daz when he won the world championship, and jumped onto the Pool table and stood on it and acted like a monkey. I expected better from a pro.

Earl did that in Cardiff when he won in 04 or so.I kinda thought it was a tradition

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny, I think that was one of the best moments in pool in recent history.

dynamite

Gold Member
lol… its ok for earl to do it and alex to jump around like a monkey.. i find it great to celebrate..

but if you was in my situation you might have done the same thing..

biggest tournament in the world biggest title in pool..

up 12-6 race to 13.. all of a sudden its 12-12 now I'm under the most extreme pressure u can imagine everything on the line and told myself if lose it might finish me off mentally with pool and not sure would get over it.. so to pull out one the best racks of my life with every bone in your body shaking and fighting the demons.. trust me to say my emotions come out and relieve is a understatement nobody will ever know the feeling unless you in that situation.. i didn't know what i was doing…

regards the incident here i apologized straight away i accepted the DQ AGREED WITH IT WAS VERY EMBARASSED.. took my punishment and thats the end of it.. learn from it and move on.. where all human and allowed to make mistakes.. if ppl hate me for it so be it.. thats there choice.. i will not lose sleep

thanks to those that support me.

daz

dynamite

Gold Member
I've seen all the top players lose there head at some point.. It's emotion and sometimes we do things we regret.. It's even harder when play the game for a living .. It happens in every individual sport it's a lonely place and sometimes heat if the moment gets you.. And always after they all regret it ..

That's all from me.. I was wrong and like billy said try and learn from te experience ..

I'm a passionate player and wear my heart on the sleeve.. But I'm a clean player and play to the rules always.. Unlike most players who take drugs shark and cheat and win at all costs..

That's all from me..

Darren

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
lol… its ok for earl to do it and alex to jump around like a monkey.. i find it great to celebrate..

up 12-6 race to 13.. all of a sudden its 12-12 now I'm under the most extreme pressure u can imagine everything on the line and told myself if lose it might finish me off mentally with pool and not sure would get over it.. so to pull out one the best racks of my life with every bone in your body shaking and fighting the demons.. trust me to say my emotions come out and relieve is a understatement nobody will ever know the feeling unless you in that situation.. i didn't know what i was doing…

regards the incident here i apologized straight away i accepted the DQ AGREED WITH IT WAS VERY EMBARASSED.. took my punishment and thats the end of it.. learn from it and move on.. where all human and allowed to make mistakes.. if ppl hate me for it so be it.. thats there choice.. i will not lose sleep

daz

of course you won't, and shouldn't.

you just out dueled three great world champions to take down the 'Make It Happen' event.

The extra dollars can buy a man some comfy bed pillows.

Savor the victory. Nice shooting!

best,
brian kc <---- likes a little emotion

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

daz

The difference between you and most other pool players that lose their temper, is that you have no problems with admitting you made a mistake, and don't try to place the blame on someone else.