How do you cross-bank this shot

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crossbank into the sidepocket.

Somehow I almost made it once but ran out of gas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200523-191512__01.jpg
    Screenshot_20200523-191512__01.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 1,116

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Crossbank into the sidepocket.

Somehow I almost made it once but ran out of gas.

If you are talking across and into the opposite side pocket, I would hit it as thin as possible and use extreme outside English.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would he even want to cross side that ?

Cross corner seems like a much better option

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why would he even want to cross side that ?

Cross corner seems like a much better option

If he banked that ball to the side, he, obviously, had a reason for it.

He had to believe it was the best shot for "him" or he wouldn't have shot it.

I've banked balls that were straight in and had people then ask me why I did it and I tell them the reason and they didn't see it at first. Like, if you are straight in and can't get good position from that angle, but you have the chance of banking the ball to another pocket and moving the cue ball in another direction that wasn't available before.

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

The object is to skin the cat.

Not how you skinned it.

Last edited:

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think cross side was a bad choice - he could have simply hit it almost full to bank it to the corner with much better CB control.

pj
chgo

I love it when a online pool scientist says a world class player made a bad choice when the world class player is at a table actually doing it and makes the shot while the pool scientist is on a keyboard telling them they are doing it wrong.

I'm betting on this guy every day if you want to go set up the shot 100 times and you shoot it however you think best and he shoots it his way to see who makes the ball the most.

Here is the guy playing in the 8th World Chinese Pool Masters Grand Finals, Dai Yong v Chu Bingjie

https://www.facebook.com/ChinesePool/videos/2289545458014516/

Who you going to say knows which is the better shot?

This guy or our local pool scientist?

I looked through all the videos for these tournaments and I didn't see the pool scientist playing anywhere.

Last edited:

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I'd setup for it using Center then add some Outside. It doesn't need as much as you think it does.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had just cut it down the rail top corner. Much easier.

Last edited:

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd setup for it using Center then add some Outside. It doesn't need as much as you think it does.

Sure but he hit the CB with left hand English.
Seemed to me he had natural shape with Outside. That's what I don't understand.

But everything turned out. Was he lucky on the shape or does he just know this CB path.

TATE

AzB Gold Mensch
Silver Member

But everything turned out. Was he lucky on the shape or does he just know this CB path.

I just set up the same shot. It's easier than it looks, just a thin cut hit hard. I think the English was to keep the CB more in the middle of the table to prevent the potential double kiss. If you hit it thin enough, there is no kiss, but the English helps.

What's amazing is he knew he could do it. I've not seen a backward cross bank to this extreme and didn't really know it could be done.

Last edited:

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t know anything about Chinese pool, but wouldn’t the side pocket with the ball coming basically straight at it be a bigger target than either of the corner pockets?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
He looked pleased with the resulting shape.

Could it be possible that he accomplished what he set out to do?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member

It would seem so, common move to bank with inside in One Pocket.