What is a Pool Player's Most Important Skill?

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is a Pool Player's Most Important Skill? - 07-19-2020, 12:56 PM

Sharking ~
A fella from B'ham that you and I both mentioned in a conversation was a champ at it.
Still haven't heard of JK being around here lately. LOL

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's probably right in most cases, precision is key!

I'd add this with the follow through too, most people can't "pop" their shots because they are trying to follow through too far.

CJ it seems Shane really pops his shots. Am I seeing that right?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Pool is an easy game to learn if you are fortunate enough to find top shelf information, like I did in Toronto Ontario, and on the road with men that had to win, there was no other option! It's always wise to learn from people that have the most to lose, that must win for a living.

Understanding how to "shoot out of the Center of my Chest" was a literal game changer, it solved all my inconsistency issues, Practicing was much more fun, rewarding, and entertaining.

Imagine being a Pool Playing Machine, with the cueball on a string, drilling shot after shot, no matter the distance, no matter the angle.

And to do this using a consistent tempo, shot speed, and aligning to EVERY SHOT center/center or center/edge so ALL THE AIMING IS ABOVE THE SHOT and you can just focus on Feeling the shot and watch it hit the pocket time after time, day after day.

But you can have the best instructor, a large collection of instructional DVD's, and Books. But if you do not practice your skill down to the most minute detail, you are spinning your wheels IMHO.

The people I know who play pool great, short stop speed, or better. Work real hard practicing, and play to fine turn their skill like a sucessful sniper.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
3 Aspects of the physical game that must blend well Bridge* Distance* Hand Position

CJ it seems Shane really pops his shots. Am I seeing that right?

Yes, you are seeing it exactly right!

Shane uses a long bridge because he holds the cue back so far (extra long cue too), but he only pulls the cue back about half the way and his follow through is rarely more than 3-4 inches for the POP shot. If he's exaggerating the cue ball distance he'll Extend more, and that's only 10% of the time or less.

You see Shane POP the shot almost every time, he does is as much as I ever did in my prime, when playing competitively I make myself do it every shot if possible!

There's 3 physical aspects of the game that must blend well, that's where you hold the cue, the bridge length and the distance from your right foot to the cueball. I show how to do this exactly the same every time which is a big advantage especially if you like moving your right hand on the cue.......as a rule of thumb the closer the object ball is to the cueball, the more I choke up so that I'm closer and my bridge is naturally shorter too. When the balls are far apart I do the opposite, hand back, bridge longer and distance further so I can also get slightly lower on the cueball/Head Position.

CJ Wiley

ESPN WORLD OPEN CHAMPION
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pool is about feel and touch, not who has the best eye sight.

Visualization and the ability to subconsciously successfully apply that visual to achieve your goal.

Steve Mizerak told me he never visualized a shot, at first I though this was odd.....a few years later I understood what he meant, there's a level above visualization which allows you to FEEL the shot (with your eyes too). Pool is about feel and touch, not who has the best eye sight.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Steve Mizerak told me he never visualized a shot, at first I though this was odd.....a few years later I understood what he meant, there's a level above visualization which allows you to FEEL the shot (with your eyes too). Pool is about feel and touch, not who has the best eye sight.

BOOM! In my second book in the very last chapter about the Zen of pool I start off by saying exactly that, "Pool is a game of touch and feel," and not one of math and angles.

I will only add that being able to stay focused and have your total attention on what is happening within the perimeter of the pool table is essential as well. Great players can completely drown out their surroundings and not be aware of anything else happening around them while they are at the table. This is when you are "one with the game."

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member

You are creating a shot map, maps help you navigate.:thumbup: