How does weight effect your ego?

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally have no issues giving a person weight when playing for money or fun. I like the added pressure and it makes a win that more sweet to be up against it like that and still persevere. For me, it's a little ego boost and if I do lose, it's like I have a built in excuse. lol

I also don't have any issues taking weight when I'm the inferior player. I often play people above my level and I realize it's about the only way for them to get anything out of playing me. This doesn't discourage me at all. But I often find that other's do take issue with being offered weight or refuse to give any weight to a weaker player. I've offered beginners weight after beating them up, but they mostly act somewhat offended or insulted. I've also played better players for a few bucks and lost many times...but have asked those same players for some weight and got denied like the thought of them not taking a dollar off me would mess them up somehow.

Curious as to how others perceive giving and receiving weight. Thanks.

Snapshot9

son of 3 leg 1 eye dog ..
Silver Member
My advice is to never show your speed for FREE, because if you do everyone will clock your speed and know exactly what they can get or give you to beat you, especially if you are trying to get better.

I am pretty good at disquising my true speed over 52 years, and as a result, I get many players that underestimate me when we play. And after 52 years, i pretty much know what I can do and what I can't do (and it is always good to know one's limitations because then you make better decisions playing the game). I am an old money player, and making money at shooting Pool is always part of my goal, whether it is by matching up or by playing tournaments.

If you really want to improve your play, start by figuring out how your opponents think when they play, because if yuo know how your opponent thinks, you can figure out how to beat them. I would recommend reading 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the wise advice, Snapshot9. I do work on those things but I suppose I've got to eventually stop picking the nits. Kind of hard to disguise speed when you have so little to begin with. lol

trinacria

in efren we trust
Silver Member
weight effects my self esteem, my ego is uneffected.:p
weight affects my self esteem, my ego is unaffected:p

which one above is right???

Last edited:

thintowin

thin2win
Silver Member
i learned in a pretty fast pool room so giving or taking weight was how the game was played. in many respects matching up was as an important aspect of each player's true game. since those early days it seems this ego thing has gotten way out of hand. to me, winning is of much greater value than how a player "feels" about his game.

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
My advice is to never show your speed for FREE, because if you do everyone will clock your speed and know exactly what they can get or give you to beat you, especially if you are trying to get better.

I am pretty good at disquising my true speed over 52 years, and as a result, I get many players that underestimate me when we play. And after 52 years, i pretty much know what I can do and what I can't do (and it is always good to know one's limitations because then you make better decisions playing the game). I am an old money player, and making money at shooting Pool is always part of my goal, whether it is by matching up or by playing tournaments.

If you really want to improve your play, start by figuring out how your opponents think when they play, because if yuo know how your opponent thinks, you can figure out how to beat them. I would recommend reading 'The Art of War' by Sun Tzu.

No honor among thieves comes to mind.... Funniest thing I ever get to see is 2 guys that have this mentality play each other occasionally... Turns into who can dog it the best and they both walk away thinking they have the other guy where they want him except neither of them will spot the other one. And neither will jack a bet in case they give all that hard work away by standing up...

Spot is a dog... He got run over in front of the poolroom.... I play someone I can't beat I play cheap.... I play someone I think I can beat I start cheap and let err roll... I don't like spots.... They will psychologically hurt a player in the long run if they get beat being spotted.....

Snapshot9 I have several friends who have been around the game a long time who have the same attitude and they are good people... It was a different time that they came up.... I am in no way calling you a thief as I do not know you... Please don't take the comment personally just calling up an old saying which popped into my head because of the Art of War comment... Good advice btw for any pool player to read that book.....

Chris

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i learned in a pretty fast pool room so giving or taking weight was how the game was played. in many respects matching up was as an important aspect of each player's true game. since those early days it seems this ego thing has gotten way out of hand. to me, winning is of much greater value than how a player "feels" about his game.

I can certainly appreciate that, especially in regards to the skill of matching up. For me, I usually play to win but in the end it's about how I played, in addition to what I gained. As been the case with a lot of things in life for me, I've learned more from my losses than my wins. Winning usually feels a helluva lot better though. Thanks for your comment. :)

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like doing it a lot of time I play better

Me too. When I give weight it adds that needed pressure to perform against a weaker player, and when I get weight it adds the needed confidence to perform against stronger players. Thanks for your comment. :)

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No honor among thieves comes to mind.... Funniest thing I ever get to see is 2 guys that have this mentality play each other occasionally... Turns into who can dog it the best and they both walk away thinking they have the other guy where they want him except neither of them will spot the other one. And neither will jack a bet in case they give all that hard work away by standing up...

Spot is a dog... He got run over in front of the poolroom.... I play someone I can't beat I play cheap.... I play someone I think I can beat I start cheap and let err roll... I don't like spots.... They will psychologically hurt a player in the long run if they get beat being spotted.....

Chris

LOL...I think I've played with those two guys. Thankfully, losing when receiving weight hasn't hurt my ego. Now losing straight up to players I should beat, different story. Thanks for your comment.

NitPicker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doesn't affect my ego to give or get spots. The biggest spot I've ever given was to a buddy playing 10-ball. I have him the 5 out and at 9-3 he broke his cue down, walked out, and didn't speak to me for a couple of weeks. The biggest spot I've been given was about the same playing a champion and I didn't get there. It didn't hurt my feelings though. I just paid him and thought of it as good practice.

Wow, were you running racks or was Buddy dogging that bad? Cool story, thanks for the comment.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Me too. When I give weight it adds that needed pressure to perform against a weaker player, and when I get weight it adds the needed confidence to perform against stronger players. Thanks for your comment. :)

Hmm, but consider when you are getting the needed confidence, the other guy ( the better player in this scenario) is getting the needed extra pressure against you. ;)