Outside Pool Rooms?

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Maybe the Covid-19 thing means its time for Outside Pool Rooms. Any pics out there?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Lake Tahoe, CA/NV in November- Febuary, or Death Valley, CA July - September would be great experences if you played outside. Advise after you check out idea.

Last edited:

sam74

Registered
Good Times Cafe

This is at Good Times Cafe in Eugene, Oregon. I enjoyed it. Two tables outside on a covered patio and a table or two inside.

good times cafe.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unless you can guarantee me 70-75deg air and little humidity i'm OUT. Don't like the game that much. Being hot or sticky or both would SUCK. Yrs ago at a tournament in Tx. the A/C died. I faded it for about an hour and bailed. Not for me. Maybe Idaho in the fall would be ok. About it.

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The couple times I’ve shot outdoors, the tables were under cover and the lighting and glare from the side was just horrible

Goofing around on vacation, sure. Anything even remotely serious, no thank you.

Last edited:

nsafellow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been on cruise ships that have pool tables out on the upper decks.

Last cruise was to the Bahamas last December and it also had one on the upper deck. Not for serious playing that is for sure but hard to find a more beautiful setting to play pool than being surrounded by the ocean

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
covered patio

I only had room for a seven footer and that was out on the covered patio. Ninety-three degrees right now and with daily thunderstorms the humidity is out of sight. The lighting is interesting to say the least. Outdoor lighting makes for tricky shooting. The balls can appear to be a little to the side of where they are at. Not enough to miss most routine shots but when you need to be precise, cutting the paint off of the ball or banking, things will not quite go.

I am sure other things would cause some interesting effects like one side being hotter and the other cooler. In a nutshell, I agree with others, fine to play on while waiting on a table at a cafe for example, not for serious action.

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Played in several outdoor poolrooms in the Philippines. They are actually common over there in the small towns and villages. Usually a tented structure, open on three or all four sides, with or without table lighting. It's normal to play when it's hot and humid and the only cooling you have are large fans. The tables play like mud and you have to drive the ball to get it around the table. Kind of like the slow cloth we played on in the old days, except even moreso.

I always liked the challenge in figuring out how to play on the table. I knew it was the same for the other guy as it was for me. Usually played Rotation and my best move was to ride the big balls until we got to the nine or ten ball, where all the points are. If I could luck in a couple of big numbers it made the end game a lot easier. I rarely if ever tried to run out before reaching the nine ball. I was able to beat a lot of the local players until they brought a ringer in on me. The Philippines are full of strong playing hustlers who prey on foreigners from Europe, Australia and the USA. I got ambushed more than once, but my fall back game was either One Pocket or Banks. Some guys/hustlers could still beat me at One Pocket, but I don't remember ever losing at Banks over there.

I just want to add that many poolroms over there have no windows, just a roof and low walls all the way around. The roof is held in place by support beams around the perimeter. So it is just like playing outdoors.

Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
part of their strength I believe.

Played in several outdoor poolrooms in the Philippines. They are actually common over there in the small towns and villages. Usually a tented structure, open on three or all four sides, with or without table lighting. It's normal to play when it's hot and humid and the only cooling you have are large fans. The tables play like mud and you have to drive the ball to get it around the table. Kind of like the slow cloth we played on in the old days, except even moreso.

I always liked the challenge in figuring out how to play on the table. I knew it was the same for the other guy as it was for me. Usually played Rotation and my best move was to ride the big balls until we got to the nine or ten ball, where all the points are. If I could luck in a couple of big numbers it made the end game a lot easier. I rarely if ever tried to run out before reaching the nine ball. I was able to beat a lot of the local players until they brought a ringer in on me. The Philippines are full of strong playing hustlers who prey on foreigners from Europe, Australia and the USA. I got ambushed more than once, but my fall back game was either One Pocket or Banks. Some guys/hustlers could still beat me at One Pocket, but I don't remember ever losing at Banks over there.

I just want to add that many poolroms over there have no windows, just a roof and low walls all the way around. The roof is held in place by support beams around the perimeter. So it is just like playing outdoors.

I think playing in these conditions and many different conditions are part of the Filipino strength in pool. They are used to having to adapt to widely varying conditions and tough conditions. They adapt quickly to conditions at most world tournaments, they think they are in heaven! While others are complaining about minor things they are pleased to be in an air conditioned building and where they don't have to move the crowd before a shot.

I am as guilty as anyone about being a hothouse player now. I kinda grudgingly play on a gold crown or valley now but I want to play on blue label Diamonds or red that have been upgraded. I don't think the Diamonds are perfect, just what I have adapted to. I played on some very ratty tables myself but it was a long long time ago!. Spoiled? You bet!

Hu

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think playing in these conditions and many different conditions are part of the Filipino strength in pool. They are used to having to adapt to widely varying conditions and tough conditions. They adapt quickly to conditions at most world tournaments, they think they are in heaven! While others are complaining about minor things they are pleased to be in an air conditioned building and where they don't have to move the crowd before a shot.

I am as guilty as anyone about being a hothouse player now. I kinda grudgingly play on a gold crown or valley now but I want to play on blue label Diamonds or red that have been upgraded. I don't think the Diamonds are perfect, just what I have adapted to. I played on some very ratty tables myself but it was a long long time ago!. Spoiled? You bet!

Hu

You got this one right as usual. Conditions here are luxurious compared to playing in the average poolroom (indoor or outdoor) in the Philippines. To play over there you better get used to adjusting your game to the local conditions. One thing that I have found to be somewhat consistent over there is that most tables play pretty tough, with tight pockets and tricky rails.

You should see their outdoor basketball courts, which is by far the most popular sport in the PI. They frequently have baskets just big enough to fit the ball in. Kind of like playing pool on snooker size pockets.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played outside on a table at a resort in Mexico. Roof and mesh-like sides....same as some of their large buffet areas but much smaller.

I enjoyed it. Only issue was ‘shadows’. Completely altered the perception of where to hit if the sun was at any noticeable angle. If I had an outside table, I’d make or buy a simple portable screen I could easily Manoeuvre and fold up...block the sun or, if more than a light breeze, the wind.

Franky4Eyes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a kid, my uncle had a table in the back yard between the house and barn.
Had a foundation poured and post to hold up the corrugated roof panel.
My aunt wouldn't allow him to go to the pool room anymore nor put a table in the house.
That was his solution, and where I first learned allot about the game.
For being covered with a tarp and left outdoors that table did not play as bad as you'd think.
I've seen some videos of people traveling around the world where cantinas and beach bars had open air pool tables.
It's a fun idea, but I wouldn't imagine being able to take the game too seriously in a busy outdoor environment.
My uncle's was an exception I feel because it was entirely private.

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
I have a place down in the woods I've been tempted to do this. Pool is
about fun too. When we lose sight of the fun and it becomes all about competition then we lose a lot.

When I was a kid, my uncle had a table in the back yard between the house and barn.
Had a foundation poured and post to hold up the corrugated roof panel.
My aunt wouldn't allow him to go to the pool room anymore nor put a table in the house.
That was his solution, and where I first learned allot about the game.
For being covered with a tarp and left outdoors that table did not play as bad as you'd think.
I've seen some videos of people traveling around the world where cantinas and beach bars had open air pool tables.
It's a fun idea, but I wouldn't imagine being able to take the game too seriously in a busy outdoor environment.
My uncle's was an exception I feel because it was entirely private.

Geosnooker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a place down in the woods I've been tempted to do this. Pool is
about fun too. When we lose sight of the fun and it becomes all about competition then we lose a lot.

Words of wisdom.

Pool discussion, for whatever reason, revolves around ‘stuff’ other than just enjoying the game. I have as much fun playing hockey on our frozen lake as I do at an indoor arena within almost ‘perfect’ artificial ice.

We also don’t play baseball, soccer, etc in ‘pro’ conditions with ‘pro’ rules and ‘pro’ Equipment. We just have fun. So much billiard discussion revolves around some expectation that everyone’s ‘goal’ is to improve so that we will one day fulfil some fantasy of winning a world championship.

In contrast, I just enjoy myself. ‘The table is slightly wonky’...well, we know where to avoid the gopher hole area when playing soccer but still have fun. We aren’t all gunning for a position on Manchester United.