Tips for 2012

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
I wanted to start a positive thread for the new year for tips that have helped us on our journey to become better players. Please contribute anything to this thread that you feel has helped you improve.

I want to start the thread off with thinking at least three shots ahead and staying in line.

When I was growing up watching late night pool on ESPN I would hear MIZ and Rempe say things like "he got on the wrong side of that ball and once that happens it could take a few shots to get back in line". I would hear this but it didn't really register how important this very simple concept is. It wasn't until I started playing the ghost in 9 ball that the light bulb finally lit. I had played for many years shooting one hard shot after another. I thought I was playing great pool. I'm going to write a step by step detail of the three ball concept. Most people if you ask them if they understand this concept will say they understand, but I'm guessing they either don't or they no longer focus in and make sure they are thinking ahead.

Start out by first figuring out which pocket you will be playing your first three balls. I draw a mental image from the OB contact point back to the rail. The more distance you have between the CB and OB the bigger area you have for position. I usually prefer to roll into position as opposed to going across the line when possible. I always practice this drill using one rail for position after potting the OB. In most instances there are multiple choices on how to run out. You have to play to your strengths and against your weaknesses.

In the example here I want to be on the right side of the line and make sure I can stop my CB on side A. Getting on side A after shooting the 1 ball will allow me to get to the three.

After pocketing the one you must stop and go through the mental exercise again. Make sure you stay on the side of the line that will allow you to string sets together.

When balls are frozen to the rail I like to split the position area in thirds.

I'm sure most people on the forum already understand this concept. Hopefully, the ones that don't will find this useful.

Best of luck in 2012

Eric

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 517

Joeyb1979

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Getting my own table
2. Taking my time with shots/Treating every shot the same
3. 3 shots ahead
4. Safety Practice
5. Kick Safes

spindoctor9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1. Getting my own table
2. Taking my time with shots/Treating every shot the same
3. 3 shots ahead
4. Safety Practice
5. Kick Safes

Kick safes! Totally agree. A very important dimension of 9 ball at higher levels. Watch Efren; his ball control when kicking usually leaves my jaw on the floor... and my confidence in the gutter haha.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
All shots are tied to your EMOTIONS.

Control one and the other follows!

randyg

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Take a deep breath and back off a little on the speed...most of us have a tendency to over cook things a little, especially when we get in rhythm. Taking a moment to reconsider just how much is likely too much (speed, english, etc.); it will keep you in line longer! I have to remind myself of this every other practice session/tournament...brings my game right back. :thumbup:

Banks

Banned
Kick safes! Totally agree. A very important dimension of 9 ball at higher levels. Watch Efren; his ball control when kicking usually leaves my jaw on the floor... and my confidence in the gutter haha.

Don't ignore the kick-safes in 8b. Lots of concentration in those, since they tend to involve more speed control - kicking a ball to a rail to block the rail, kicking to hit & hook off a ball on a rail, stuff like that.

My suggestion to people looking for marked improvement would be to control your speed. This will help not only with pocketing, but with CB control and being able to see more clearly what goes on after the hit.

See ya 'round Portland! :thumbup2:

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
I'm trying to learn how to plan 3 shots ahead. So if A is right side and B is left. On the 1 ball we start off on the A side so we end up on the A (right) side of the 2-ball. So on the 3-ball we want to be on the B (left) side to end up on the A (right) side of the 4-ball?

I wanted to start a positive thread for the new year for tips that have helped us on our journey to become better players. Please contribute anything to this thread that you feel has helped you improve.

I want to start the thread off with thinking at least three shots ahead and staying in line.

When I was growing up watching late night pool on ESPN I would hear MIZ and Rempe say things like "he got on the wrong side of that ball and once that happens it could take a few shots to get back in line". I would hear this but it didn't really register how important this very simple concept is. It wasn't until I started playing the ghost in 9 ball that the light bulb finally lit. I had played for many years shooting one hard shot after another. I thought I was playing great pool. I'm going to write a step by step detail of the three ball concept. Most people if you ask them if they understand this concept will say they understand, but I'm guessing they either don't or they no longer focus in and make sure they are thinking ahead.

Start out by first figuring out which pocket you will be playing your first three balls. I draw a mental image from the OB contact point back to the rail. The more distance you have between the CB and OB the bigger area you have for position. I usually prefer to roll into position as opposed to going across the line when possible. I always practice this drill using one rail for position after potting the OB. In most instances there are multiple choices on how to run out. You have to play to your strengths and against your weaknesses.

In the example here I want to be on the right side of the line and make sure I can stop my CB on side A. Getting on side A after shooting the 1 ball will allow me to get to the three.

After pocketing the one you must stop and go through the mental exercise again. Make sure you stay on the side of the line that will allow you to string sets together.

I'm sure most people on the forum already understand this concept. Hopefully, the ones that don't will find this useful.

Best of luck in 2012

Eric

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
I'm trying to learn how to plan 3 shots ahead. So if A is right side and B is left. On the 1 ball we start off on the A side so we end up on the A (right) side of the 2-ball. So on the 3-ball we want to be on the B (left) side to end up on the A (right) side of the 4-ball?

It just depends on how you choose to play position on the 3. There is no right or wrong answer. That's the beauty of this game. Obviously some CB positions will be easier than others to get a good shot on the 4. Get on the side that is easiest for you to string the balls together. The key is to pick your pockets and the side of the line you need to be on that makes the run easy for you.

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips

Best of luck in 2012

Eric
(1) Stop the run if you can't reasonably get out or enter one ball hell! (2) If you don't have a pre shot routine, get one! (3) Breathe. Especially before big shots, money ball, big moments! (4) Begin playing one pocket, one of the greatest learning games. (5) Play players that are way better than yourself. (6) Practice by doing drills. Playing your buddies is not practice. (7) Keep track of hours played per week and practice. (8) If you can't do all these things, take two weeks off then quit!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
We've had many threads like this over the years, and they are always good.

Here's a list of the Top 100 Secrets and Gems of Pool that have helped me improve my game. Many of these "secrets" seem to come up a lot in threads like this. If people are looking for pool New Years Resolutions, this list is a good place to start.

The three "secrets" that I think have helped my game the most are:
6. Keep your cue still and eyes quiet when checking your cue alignment and aim (see reasons for pauses).
11. Use a consistent and purposeful pre-shot routine.
12. Make sure your vision center is always aligned properly.

Regards,
Dave

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Every game starts with a Break Shot....

When's the last time you practiced the Break Shot.... well that's too long.

pfduser

GRABBER GT
Silver Member
Every game starts with a Break Shot....

When's the last time you practiced the Break Shot.... well that's too long.

So true! I've been working on my break for a month now. Takes dedication to
practice the break. Good workout also, my whole body was sore for 2 days
after doing this!:D

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
(1) Stop the run if you can't reasonably get out or enter one ball hell! (2) If you don't have a pre shot routine, get one! (3) Breathe. Especially before big shots, money ball, big moments! (4) Begin playing one pocket, one of the greatest learning games. (5) Play players that are way better than yourself. (6) Practice by doing drills. Playing your buddies is not practice. (7) Keep track of hours played per week and practice. (8) If you can't do all these things, take two weeks off then quit!

"Breathe"....Often overlooked but extremely important. Bob Henning goes into some breathing techniques in The Pro Book. Excellent tip!

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member
I am still struggling to find something to drive me back to the practice table.
As far as pool is concerned i guess my New Years resolution would be to
find that little something to inspire me again.
Happy new year Ez

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
I am still struggling to find something to drive me back to the practice table.
As far as pool is concerned i guess my New Years resolution would be to
find that little something to inspire me again.
Happy new year Ez

Happy New Year Petey. Good luck finding your inspiration.

~Looking for a bottle of inspiration myself tonight! :thumbup: