mADE THE CHOICE TO SHOOT LEAGUE AGAIN......

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
Well I'm going to shoot APA League again, its been 1 year since I quit the league play, before that it was 10 years in between. I have been soured by peoples play and a ex that cost my team 1st because of here selfcenterd attitude and just plain being a bit@h.
I have a women now that respects me and what I like to do, just as much as I respect her likes. She is not into pool but dosn't mind going with me when I do. If she would rather stay home some nights that is okay with me to, ones free time is shared equaly.
I will post on here after each weeks league night my experience and tell you if it still sucks or is okay, I'm sure there are still sandbagers and your pro-drinking teams, that dont bother me...its the real idiots that sour me.........hopfuly there on another pool night...OTB..:thumbup2:

NOTE: HOW THE EX COST MY TEAM THE TITLE....My ex had her own team out of her family's bar, when it came down to the last week of league play we were with in a few points of 3 other teams, she looked on the schedule and seen how close my team was from the 3 other teams fighting for the same title, the team we were fighting for the title that had the points to really beat us, played her bar the last night...we'll you can see what happened. She told here players not to show, when the other team showed up she said we forfit, you get the win........that team then drove over to our bar where we were shooting to rub it in,.....i just shook there hand and said..You won the title, but you never beat us.......and that was my last league nite APA.....OTB

Last edited:

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well I'm going to shoot APA League again, its been 1 year since I quit the league play, before that it was 10 years in between. I have been soured by peoples play and a ex that cost my team 1st because of here selfcenterd attitude and just plain being a bit@h.
I have a women now that respects me and what I like to do, just as much as I respect her likes. She is not into pool but dosn't mind going with me when I do. If she would rather stay home some nights that is okay with me to, ones free time is shared equaly.
I will post on here after each weeks league night my experience and tell you if it still sucks or is okay, I'm sure there are still sandbagers and your pro-drinking teams, that dont bother me...its the real idiots that sour me.........hopfuly there on another pool night...OTB..:thumbup2:

i aint touchin the subject of your ex but the rest i will give my opinion on.

as far as other people play , yea there is that slop issue. when i first started in apa it used to irritate me when someone slopped one in and was able to continue shooting. after awhile i just decided to not let it bother me and just outplay them and beat them anyway. now when someone slops one in i just laugh out loud, most of the time they start laughing too.

as far as drunks go i guess i am fortunate here. in 18 months of league play i have only encountered 2 drunks. 1 was not even playing, he was hanging out with people that were on a team. he got a lil loud and i told him to straighten up or i would have the lo throw him out, his friends apologized to me and told him to leave.the other guy joined a team and got drunk that night and after he got drunk the 2nd week they kicked him off the team.

as far as idiots go, the first team i played on had one. at the end of the session i told them i would not play again. after some prodding i told the captain it was because ot their idiot. he said yeah he is, he would rather have me than the idiot so he kicked him off.

it will be interesting to hear of your experiences in league again.keepus posted.

good luck and have fun.

offaxis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope it turns out well OTB. My Dad always has a saying leave the woman home on days that "you" are trying to have fun/guy nights out. I have had many GF's ruin the night just not talking about pool.;) Anyways i live in one of the roughest city in the country havent really met up with too many drunks that are on the league itself. Sure we drink, but as of yet (two years) no one has got out of control per say. We did have a member who would go a little overboard with booze but he never got into a fight or any disruptive behavior. The team captain eventually let him go for a few reasons. Mainly he didnt show up and my team captain didnt want the person to get into a accident after he left one the league matches. On one occasion he was actually to drunk to play. The sandbaggers/ringers etc are still there in fact i played one last week. I still enjoy it although I am contemplating on taking a session off. However, i have come to accustomed to the weekly meetings with my team mates etc.

Hobart007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good luck going back into the APA league. Unfortunately, the only drunk I encounter is on my Monday night team... :(

Brozif

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hope you have a great time!

I have been out of the APA for a couple of years now. Had nothing to do with sandbaggers or drunks or idiots. It was just too tough to keep any of my teams together due to the players improving and going up in skill level. Nobody's fault, it's just the nature of things. If you play pool for a while, you should improve.

Well now both of my kids are over 18 and in this area that makes them eligible to play in the league. They have both expressed interest and would like to try it. I will be starting a team and introducing them to league play. I would just like to spend time with my kids and have a good time. I will also share any experiences out of the ordinary with everyone. Hopefully they will be funny experiences instead of the normal ones that seem to make it easy to bash the APA into the ground!

Last edited:

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Enjoy

That's great that you now have a girl that lets you enjoy pool. I speek from experience when I say Pool cost me my first marriage. The X wife never liked it and always gave me a hard time when I went to the pool room. I gave up playing because at the time with her it was not worth it.
It's been many years now and I have last year remarried to a wonderful filipina girl. I think I got very lucky as most filipino people love pool.
I have not played in about 3 years during that time I was busy traveling back and forth from the Philippines. My now new wife knows about my billiard past and the fact that my X would never accept it and let me enjoy playing. My wife now tells me every day Hun you should start playing again. I have taken her a few times to the pool room at that time it was just to see some old pool friends. She loved just sitting there watching all the action. I think it's time to start playing again. I have been in a pool room for 35 of my 49 years and always had to deal with a girl that would not accept me being a serious player and the time it takes to shoot at a top level. They say behind every good man is a good woman. I'm happy to hear that you have the same.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Hopefully you have a good time. That's what it's supposed to be all about.

tropheus

Registered
OTB, congrats on coming back to league. Yes you will occasionally encounter the sand bagger or drunk but I have met a lot of great people playing in the APA from all walks of life and I'm sure you will too. My ex wife even used to play league with me years ago. At 37 yrs old I met my gf through league a year and a half ago. My biggest gripe with APA is that they cater to lower handicaps. I play on multiple teams and can regularly only get posted on 1 of them. And if league does not work out....hopefully you have found your stroke again and can enter some local buy in tournaments. No sandbagging there with money on the line.

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
I posted the circumstances as to how the ex cost my team the 1st place title and trip to the reginals for Vegas.

8up

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you have fun. While many things and people in league can frustrate and irritate me, I refuse to let them chase me away from something I enjoy.

What your ex did sucks but the other team would not be entitled to a forfeit according to APA rules they could only get Bye points. That said Local by-laws could have possibly change that. I know that because I had to live with the same thing happening.

( see my post "League - Don't let others still your FUN")

OTB

I DIDN'T DO IT!!!!
Silver Member
We'll shot league tonight, and it was not all that bad...I lost.....and it was all my fault...I need to practice more.............no drunks or sandbaggers......I enjoyed it.....was a good nite., I didn't eat at the bar but wish I had bar food rocks...I will post my observations on my next weeks league night...........:smile:

Last edited:

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you enjoyed your first night back. I have almost quit league a time or two but so far stuck it out. I did quit being captain a couple years back after quite a few years of doing it and that removed a lot of my aggravation. I have also changed my thoughts about league and try not to take it quite as serious, and just worry about having fun. I am a very competitive person, so its not always that easy for me. Mostly though, I am glad I stuck it out because it seems to be the only time I can commit to playing these days.

offaxis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We'll shot league tonight, and it was not all that bad...I lost.....and it was all my fault...I need to practice more.............no drunks or sandbaggers......I enjoyed it.....was a good nite........:smile:

Glad you had fun and you enjoyed yourself. You'll get them next time.:thumbup: