Grady Mathews

eezbank

Silver Surfer
Silver Member
This was a post on Gradys facebook page today. Very sad news :frown:

Grady Mathews
Hello all. Happy Easter. It is Marie, Grady's daughter. If anyone has anything they want to say to my dad, I would do it soon. He fought really hard through chemo and radiation, but unfortunately there is nothing else that can be done. The doctor has given him about 4 weeks. His family is deeply saddened by the news. I will follow up with an address to send letters to on Monday.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member

Grady Mathews
Hello all. Happy Easter. It is Marie, Grady's daughter. If anyone has anything they want to say to my dad, I would do it soon. He fought really hard through chemo and radiation, but unfortunately there is nothing else that can be done. The doctor has given him about 4 weeks. His family is deeply saddened by the news. I will follow up with an address to send letters to on Monday.

Oh no. That is terrible news. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Grady Mathews

We have a couple Grady threads this morning, so I'm doing a copy-and-paste of my other post in this thread. Thanks for sharing with the forum what's going on with Grady at this time. If he reads this, I know he will appreciate the good wishes.

My heart goes out to Grady Mathews. He lives and breathes pool, and there is no question that he is an American pool legend.

During the autumn of his life, Grady's posts on this forum and others made me a little bit sad. Though I know he enjoys pool and wants others to enjoy it with him, it seemed as though he might not have realized how many fans he has out here in pooldom. He would sometimes become upset at some of the replies he would get on threads, not realizing there were those of us who absolutely appreciate every contribution he makes to pool, now as well as in the past. We adore Grady for his sense of humor and storytelling. What a cool guy!

Grady, if you read this, please know that I have, indeed, always known what a gentleman you are, first and foremost. I am a lot like you in many respects, fighting tooth and nail for what I believe is right. You have touched my life in so many ways. From Geese to Keith, our paths have intertwined. Please know I love you.

Your pool fan and friend, Jennie Ann.

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
I would like to say to Grady that while the one guarantee of our mortal lives awaits us all. You can know that you have personally impacted hundreds and hundreds of lives in a positive way and will be remembered and loved forever through the ages.

Look forward to playing in the greatest poolroom of all with the greats of all times. The fun and stories are just beginning. You will be missed here as we await to join the fun.

Godspeed to you,

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grady, I want to give you a little Easter chuckle.

My 14-year-old black lab, Sammy Boy, has laryngeal paralysis and bad hips. He cannot walk more than 5 feet without getting winded. He still smiles at us with those puppy eyes, and so we are doing everything we can to keep him comfortable and happy. :smile:

Now here's the funny Easter vision for you. Keith wanted Sammy Boy to come back to our bedroom to sleep, which is where he likes to be, but the walk down the long hallway this morning was just too much. :frown:

So I grabbed two of my bras and put one behind Sammy Boy's front legs, around his belly, and the other one in front of his hind legs. Then Keith and I took each end of the bra. I had the front portion of Sammy Boy, while my Keith had the rear. :p

We lifted him in the air and carried him back to the bedroom. Sammy Boy didn't realize he was up in the air, and his legs were walking, moving back and forth, but not touching the ground. :grin:

I guess it's a good thing my bras are generous with material, enough to lift a 100-pound black lab. :embarrassed2:

Sammy Boy is the black beauty on the right, depicted below. :cool:

Attachments

• Belli_and_Sammy_010611.JPG
    Belli_and_Sammy_010611.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 601

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jennie...What a beautiful post! Grady is indeed a longtime friend of so many of us, knowing him as a player, teacher or friend (or all three). He may yet outlast his illness, as doctors are not always right. Many times I've seen people who had "weeks to live" go on to live years, simply from the desire within them. No matter what happens, and when, Grady will live on in our hearts and memories! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

We have a couple Grady threads this morning, so I'm doing a copy-and-paste of my other post in this thread. Thanks for sharing with the forum what's going on with Grady at this time. If he reads this, I know he will appreciate the good wishes.

My heart goes out to Grady Mathews. He lives and breathes pool, and there is no question that he is an American pool legend.

During the autumn of his life, Grady's posts on this forum and others made me a little bit sad. Though I know he enjoys pool and wants others to enjoy it with him, it seemed as though he might not have realized how many fans he has out here in pooldom. He would sometimes become upset at some of the replies he would get on threads, not realizing there were those of us who absolutely appreciate every contribution he makes to pool, now as well as in the past. We adore Grady for his sense of humor and storytelling. What a cool guy!

Grady, if you read this, please know that I have, indeed, always known what a gentleman you are, first and foremost. I am a lot like you in many respects, fighting tooth and nail for what I believe is right. You have touched my life in so many ways. From Geese to Keith, our paths have intertwined. Please know I love you.

Your pool fan and friend, Jennie Ann.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
Grady's contributions to pool have been greatly appreciated. His story telling and vocabulary will go unmatched. Best wishes Grady.

RADAR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My prayers are with you grady, you are a fine man! Always remember you signing my magazines and 1 pocket book at the derby in the old venue site. Still waiting for a signed book from you sir!

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Grady, I want to give you a little Easter chuckle.

My 14-year-old black lab, Sammy Boy, has laryngeal paralysis and bad hips. He cannot walk more than 5 feet without getting winded. He still smiles at us with those puppy eyes, and so we are doing everything we can to keep him comfortable and happy. :smile:

Now here's the funny Easter vision for you. Keith wanted Sammy Boy to come back to our bedroom to sleep, which is where he likes to be, but the walk down the long hallway this morning was just too much. :frown:

So I grabbed two of my bras and put one behind Sammy Boy's front legs, around his belly, and the other one in front of his hind legs. Then Keith and I took each end of the bra. I had the front portion of Sammy Boy, while my Keith had the rear. :p

We lifted him in the air and carried him back to the bedroom. Sammy Boy didn't realize he was up in the air, and his legs were walking, moving back and forth, but not touching the ground. :grin:

I guess it's a good thing my bras are generous with material, enough to lift a 100-pound black lab. :embarrassed2:

Sammy Boy is the black beauty on the right, depicted below. :cool:

If Grady was in the typing mood, he would after hearing this story, launch into a soliloquy remembrance of sorts and commence to tell us in his own inimitable style about one of the beautiful, young things that enraptured his soul on more than one occasion. :D

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Grady was in the typing mood, he would after hearing this story, launch into a soliloquy remembrance of sorts and commence to tell us in his own inimitable style about one of the beautiful, young things that enraptured his soul on more than one occasion. :D

Hee-hee. For sure, Grady could tell a yarn. I can't tell you how many times we'd all be listening to him, hanging onto his every word. :cool:

Even his X-rated stories were kind of funny. I will always cherish him commentating the Accu-Stats when Keith was playing Nolan. Man, that was some funny stuff. :grin:

Grady has no fear. It doesn't matter who's at the table, he'd always bet his own and give it his all. You gotta respect a road warrior like that. There aren't too many players like that today. :p

nightmare

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like Jennie & the others who have posted so eloquently about this sad news, I've been sitting here for hours - wishing it weren't true. The memories of the times we've shared over the last 30+ years are rushing through my mind & the tears just won't stop. Grady is one of our beloved game's great players, characters & legends - our pool family. I was lucky enough to catch the tail end of the great American pool era & proud to have known him as a friend & fellow traveler on that road. My heart is with him & his family. I love you, Grady.

Mary Kenniston