Short cue for short person?

bell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am teaching a short Asian female fundamentals at local S Center and want to get her a starter SP cue. I dont know if I should try to get a short cue. I wonder if the Asian female pros use a standard cue or custom short? Any thoughts?

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Most of the smaller lady pros use standard 57"-58" cues. You would want to have the weight forward as much as possible. If you want custom then a good custom cuemaker can do anything you want. If you want production find a cue that the weight bolt can be adjusted deep inside the cue butt (forward). Have her try a variety of house cues (including troubleshooters) and find a size and weight she feels comfortable with before rushing into a purchase.

Edit: Just an after thought......McDermott has a pretty deep adjustment on their weight bolt system and their site says they will soon be coming out with a "Prodigy cue line" for toddlers and kids. Maybe you could email them and suggest something like a 54" sneaky for their new line.

Last edited:

bell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks

Thanks AZ this is what I need to know. I am thinking of getting a (Carlscues) SP off of E bay ($30-40) and then adjust the weight bolt for a starter. If I had a lathe could trim dowm the butt some...this person keeps bringing the grip thumb up on top and I keep pointing it down. I must say the lady seems determined.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks AZ this is what I need to know. I am thinking of getting a (Carlscues) SP off of E bay ($30-40) and then adjust the weight bolt for a starter. If I had a lathe could trim dowm the butt some...this person keeps bringing the grip thumb up on top and I keep pointing it down. I must say the lady seems determined.

i think you'd be better off sending the cue to a cue repairman to change the length. it's not all in the length the balance is pretty important. i'm vertically challenged and i use a standard length cue. sometimes i think an inch short would feel a hair better but it doesn't really effect the way i play.

now if she was 4 "10 then i think you might want to order her something shorter.

FeltMaster

You Get The 8
Silver Member
Short + Short = ?

Here is my $.02

If your short, why a short cue? You already give up shots due to your height (bridgeless shots), why give up more with a shorter cue.
I am only 5'9" and prefer 60" cues......and I hate using the bridge.

Dom

Shaft

Hooked and Improving
Silver Member
Here is my $.02

If your short, why a short cue? You already give up shots due to your height (bridgeless shots), why give up more with a shorter cue.

Dom

FeltMaster beat me to it. I am short (5'-7") and I would like a longer cue, not a shorter one.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is my $.02

Dom

give up shots? using a bridge isn't that bad

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought (and only a thought)::

The shorter than average player will be well served with a cue that is slightly longer than standard. Their body cannot climb up as far on the table as standard sized people, and that person still needs to be able to reach the CB.

Thus, shorter than standard would be contraindicated.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think as long or longer than normal too

How many of the short Filipino men do we see playing with a short cue? Arm length, stance, and shoulder width have more to do with how long a cue is needed than height.

I do agree with the posts that say a cue with the weight a little forward will probably work best for her. Pay attention to her grip hand when she plays. The balance point should probably be two to four inches in front of where she grips the cue most of the time.

Hu

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The shorter than average player will be well served with a cue that is slightly longer than standard. Their body cannot climb up as far on the table as standard sized people, and that person still needs to be able to reach the CB.

that sounds right but i get the feeling it isn't.

PetToilet

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you actually want a longer cue (for reaching long shots) and more forward balance. they act against each other

Rethunk

Snooker pimp
Silver Member

Interesting idea, but if a player's back hand is near the butt cap for a shot into a far corner pocket then she should probably be using the bridge or shooting with the opposite hand. I generally regret doing otherwise.

Anna Kostanian is only 4'11", I believe. I wonder what length cue she uses?

As it happens my everyday playing cue for all games is a carom cue, and it's shorter than the average pool cue. I've not only gotten used to the shorter length, but I've come to prefer it.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
consider this

Let us say we have two wrapless cues. One is 52 inches long and weighs 19 ounces. The other cue is 60 inches long and also weighs 19 ounces. Both cues have a balance point 40 inches from the tip.

What is the difference in feel between the two cues? If you are into twirling cues Vincent style there is a difference. If you use the two sticks for shooting pool the feel is exactly the same.

Hu

thaitom

Registered
Asian women pros and short cues

Just to add a comment from Asia. I live in Thailand and shoot pool here and in Singapore and all the women I have seen shooting, including the Thai national team, use 60 inch cues. I don't know about other countries but my impression is that its the same. the ones I shoot with prefer the longer reach and wouldn't want a shorter cue. I would think its more a question of grip placement but defer to the coaches.

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
As far as getting "reach", there are cue extensions. The cue length needs to be what the player is comfortable with in conjunction with proper weight/balance.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
only let her play on bar tables

Nine foot tables promote longer bridges! :D

Hu

I completely disagree. By giving a person a longer cue to 'reach' shots, you are promoting a longer bridge. Do not promote a longer bridge.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Absolutely!

does that logic apply to snooker players?

Longest bridge ever. They have a nine or ten foot mechanical bridge and special matching stick for some shots on the 12 footers. Nobody should ever complain about a Moochie again after using one of those set ups! :D :D :D

Hu