silly ?....how to get over " stage fright"

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
Hopefully someone can give me a few pointers.

When i am at my local pool room around the guys i know i am fine playing my usual game. I can play pretty well on a good day for somone who really just started out. I find that as soon as there are people watching me that i DON'T know i get freaked out and start playing horrible!!! :( for instance at the SBE when noone was around i was running 12's 10's and even a 14...the minute i put my $$ down to enter the 14.1 challenge and realized how many people were around i choked only making 8 balls in 5 innings!!

Yesterday i was on a run of 11 when i realzied a guy i saw about 2 racks before was still sitting there watching me from like 10 feet away....
i missed the easiest shot i had the whole run, maybe cause i was trying so hard not to miss?

any pointers to get over this?
Thanks in advace!

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
It sounds like you are playing to impress others. Think back to when you first started playing...how much enjoyment you got when you executed a perfect shot. That feeling has to be the reason you play. You aren't concentrating on the right things. The number one thing has to be what you are doing with your body. Think about it. If you mind is on someone 10 feet away, it's not on the shot in front of you.

Steve

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
PMS..i have no idea what thats supposed to mean

Steve thanks for your input :) i can totally see that....i am going to try harder to not pay attention to whats going on around me.

its hard tho, i am sure as i play more and get more focused it will be easier. :) I have had people tell me how they used to be nervous when they first started playing but eventually it went away. Hopefully it happens sooner not later lol

Cameron Smith

is kind of hungry...
Silver Member
It's something that takes time to get used to. The more you play infront of people, the more comfortable you get. Focus on the task at hand and don't worry what other people think. And if you play poorly, remember that you can find a lot of footage of great players looking very green. We all have our off days, and our occassional disaster day.

I personally have a hard time practicing when people are watching because it's easy for my mind to wander. But if I'm in a match, I find it far easier to stay focused because I'm trying to win.

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Heather,
When it comes to issues such as this, I primarily see 3 types of players.

1) Players that have no idea what THE ZONE is
2) Players that have been to THE ZONE once and can't find their way back
3) Players that know where THE ZONE is, but cannot get over the walls, barricades and detours they have constructed to keep themselves from playing there.

I think you fit in there somewhere, so I can help you if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

I don't sell timeshares for THE ZONE - I sell permanent residences. If you are interested in testing out some new material that I am in the process of producing (get with me either here or on FB) and we'll tear down these walls.

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
That would be awesome! thanks!

i was talking to "a friend" at SBE about it too and his response...." you are pretty much the only female among a bunch of guys, they arent watching you shoot...they are watching your A$$" lol maybe if i think of it that way i wont be too worried about them watching me shoot! HA

Last edited:

vicdotcom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From what you are describing, it doesn't seem like "stage fright" rather than self-consciousness. Now what are you self-conscious of? People thinking you can't play or something else? The other people I have seen with this problem, it was never about pool. As far as what to do about it... can't really answer that until you figure out what it the stem.

How I helped a few other people with this... might sound silly, but I made these people wear big, funny, dorky hats while practicing. No matter how much they wanted to take it off, I told them to keep it on. After a few practice sessions like this, they shot just fine during matches when they did not have to wear the hat anymore lol. It works! Try it.

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
Hi Heather :)

you got mail,

lg and greetz to tournament-operator Steve,

Ingo

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
One little thing that I remind my team mates of from time to time...in all pool games, only half the players are going to win.

There is no shame in losing...as long as you try your best.

Steve

DogsPlayingPool

"What's in your wallet?"
Silver Member
In my experience, the best way to get over stage fright is to get on stage enough times.

Let me just add this: Until then, find a pre-shot routine that works for you and stick with it - on every shot. ;)

Last edited:

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
It s all about experience- and what you do with it if you have it :)

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is, of course, great advice. One other thing is that you might use an MP3 player/IPOD and headphones to "block out" some things. That way you might not be so 'conscious' of others watching, since you'll be 'listening' to your music.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

In my experience, the best way to get over stage fright is to get on stage enough times.

HAKurtz

Hittin' the tables!!
Silver Member
This is, of course, great advice. One other thing is that you might use an MP3 player/IPOD and headphones to "block out" some things. That way you might not be so 'conscious' of others watching, since you'll be 'listening' to your music.

Scott Lee
www.poolknowledge.com

I usually have my mp3 player on when I go alone and I do notice it helps (until I start dancing lol) it died the other day and I can't fin the charger hopefully soon I'll find it so I can go back to that!
Thanks for the reply

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
It s a phenomen at all-
if a girl is shooting solo somewhere suddenly *earthborn instructors* were beamed up around the table and killing *their enemy* with all their knowledge :grin-square:
Perhaps wearing a shirt with *Local Security* or *Local Doorman* would help :p

just kiddin a bit :)

Hun, i am sure it will be better very soon- love to see your enthusiasm :)

John Daminato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your mind is sending messages to you like "dont miss in front these people, otherwise they will think you suck" or some similar negative story that pertains to you screwing up and missing..Your mind is basically predicting a bad future.

Basically your allowing yourself to be judged by perfect strangers, which means you value their opinion of you or your game, more then your own.
(these are just my personal opinions as well)

One thing to realize is that everyone is forever a student. Another thing to realize is: they are watching you, your being proactive, for all you know halve the strangers are intimidated by your game.