Your greatest Shark Tactics

dom_poppa

Banned
I know sharking is bad etiquette but it's part of the game and it's an art within itself.

Here are some of the few tricks I get away from....

-When an opponent is shooting, depending on the pool hall, I would walk away and go grab a beverage. Sometimes they will stop and wait or keep on shooting. The railbirds are watching...so I really don't care what happens.

-If my opponent is on the hill, I sometimes take my stick apart (I know, taking my stick apart means a forfeit) BUT I am only taking my stick apart to change another shaft...lol...love that one, because I don't stick the shaft in the case, I lay it on the table and proceed to pull the other one. This works around the 7 ball, it's too obvious to do it on the 9.

-If I am playing an older gentleman, I like to speed up the game because I don't want him to be sitting. I do this with the local guy at the pool hall with a bad hip. Play to your advantage.

What are some of your favorite tactics?

mullyman

Hung Like a Gnat!
Silver Member
Actually, I don't have any sharking tactics and I think it takes some huge balls to sit there and tell everyone the crappy stuff you do to others. I don't think you're going to get too many positive replies to this one.
MULLY

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
I know sharking is bad etiquette but it's part of the game and it's an art within itself.

-When an opponent is shooting, depending on the pool hall, I would walk away and go grab a beverage. Sometimes they will stop and wait or keep on shooting. The railbirds are watching...so I really don't care what happens.

-If my opponent is on the hill, I sometimes take my stick apart (I know, taking my stick apart means a forfeit) BUT I am only taking my stick apart to change another shaft...lol...love that one, because I don't stick the shaft in the case, I lay it on the table and proceed to pull the other one. This works around the 7 ball, it's too obvious to do it on the 9.

-If I am playing an older gentleman, I like to speed up the game because I don't want him to be sitting. I do this with the local guy at the pool hall with a bad hip. Play to your advantage.

I like my opponent to have no excuses other than they played poorly, or I played better than they did. Of course, they'll still talk about a roll here or there, but you can usually think of ones they got as well. So, as far as deliberately doing something distracting to an opponent....nah, see no need for it.

dom_poppa

Banned
Actually, I don't have any sharking tactics and I think it takes some huge balls to sit there and tell everyone the crappy stuff you do to others. I don't think you're going to get too many positive replies to this one.
MULLY

I know it's bad to shark but I do it where it's harmless fun.

BKB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is just nasty, man. I do not much care about the beverage thing, unless you do it every game. Same with shooting fast. This can only f your game up. I would sit on my ass for as long as I need. This is not a tourney -- no shot clock, you know. But placing your shaft on the playing table during your opponent's turn, this is just too low.

My "sharking" tactic is to try to play better than my opponent. Oh.., I also pick my opponents right, so I do not end up shooting with an as*hole that tries to shark me...

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Halfway there!

Congratulations, it won't be long before you will find out what a pool cue tastes like.

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
Congratulations, it won't be long before you will find out what a pool cue tastes like.

I dunno, I saw the Black Widow, playing lil challenge matches at the Derby, and didn't see one single man complain about her sharking techniques...lol ;)

SirNoobs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a person who does that same thing to me, except he's "smart" enough to take a picture of the table before he goes into the bathroom.

My form of sharking is just talking someone's ear off about stories that have nothing to do with the game or I would tell them there is another way to approach a shot. Not really sharking I guess. :rolleyes:

GADawg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you break down your playing cue while your opponent is shooting and on the hill, you forfeit. Doesn't matter if you are "changing the shaft", still forfeit.

Sharking is only "harmless fun" if your opponent sees it that way.

Obviously you have a lot of class but unfortunately it is all very low.

dom_poppa

Banned
That is just nasty, man. I do not much care about the beverage thing, unless you do it every game. Same with shooting fast. This can only f your game up. I would sit on my ass for as long as I need. This is not a tourney -- no shot clock, you know. But placing your shaft on the playing table during your opponent's turn, this is just too low.

My "sharking" tactic is to try to play better than my opponent. Oh.., I also pick my opponents right, so I do not end up shooting with an as*hole that tries to shark me...

It's harmless...I am not doing anything in their line of sight. I have seen people do bad things. Such as on a certain shot, they will try to draw and its obvious...but the cue goes off the table towards their opponents cue.

-Another harmless move that I do...is I will be blank staring the other way and wait for my opponent to tell me it's my shot....or ask him when comesback to the table if it's my shot.

-Here's one I do when I get to the finals of a local tourney....the tourney's usually run late because of 8 o' clock start time. In those Finals matches, I will have dinner during the match. There is a Subway next door and I would get a sub before hand and get it out of my car. Sub, soda and the chips...on the table.

Last edited:

Tokyo-dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that sharking sucks, and I spend lot's of energy making sure that nothing I do at the table can even be mistaken for a shark move.
A good friend of mine back about 7-10 years ago would always play for $100 on paydays. It was a friendly monthly grudge match with shouting, barking, and all kinds of antics between the two of us just to mess with eachother 'cause it ws always cool between the two of us. He was an equipment freak that could lose his mental game over anything, so almost always during our monthly friendlies, I would ask him a question that I knew would get into his head.
1) Hey, how long have you had that tip 'cause it sounds a little funny?
2) Did you know lately I've noticed that you're starting to stroke sidearm?
3) Damn you make some wierd looking faces when you're down in your stroke!
Between us it was always all good, and my friend was always trying to get at me in the same type of ways. We had fun and made sure it was never really about the money.
dave

dom_poppa

Banned
I think that sharking sucks, and I spend lot's of energy making sure that nothing I do at the table can even be mistaken for a shark move.
A good friend of mine back about 7-10 years ago would always play for $100 on paydays. It was a friendly monthly grudge match with shouting, barking, and all kinds of antics between the two of us just to mess with eachother 'cause it ws always cool between the two of us. He was an equipment freak that could lose his mental game over anything, so almost always during our monthly friendlies, I would ask him a question that I knew would get into his head.
Between us it was always all good, and my friend was always trying to get at me in the same type of ways. We had fun and made sure it was never really about the money.
dave

Those are great and very subtle to strangers too. I like it.

-I will always tell people whom I haven't played in a long time, how much there game has improved and how well they are shooting, even it's a lie. You befriend them and beat them.

Jobba786

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As with snooker I though pool was supposed to be a gentleman's sport.

Try to win the game and use your tactics when you are at the table!!

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
dave

I have a friend I play 9 ball with (and I HATE 9 ball btw) and will do anything NOT to pay attn to what he's doing (watch a ball game on the tv, talk to folks on other tables, etc.), and whenever he tells me it's my shot I always ask, "ball in hand?" He talks to me while shooting, and does everything you could think of without physically touching me or the poolballs; I do the opposite, ignore him while he shoots. I wouldn't do his or my antics playing ANYONE else.

Oh, this same buddy plays golf with me and is a SERIOUS trash talker....my only comments are when I absolutely HAMMER a teeshot, I'll say, "didn't get all of that one, little toey" or something like that, cuz I know I'll be at least 50 yards past him. He outdrove me one time, probably by 5 yards, and he pulled out the "did you hear where they are putting in the new Super Walmart - between your teeshot and mine" gag....I know he'd been saving it for a long time...didn't even have the heart to tell him I hit a 3 iron hybrid off the tee versus his driver. LOL

Last edited:

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
This thread is in poor taste. Anyone who needs to resort to sharking can't win anyway the way I see it. To admit to sharking and be proud of it only suggest of poor character.

dom_poppa

Banned
-Here's one that is more subtle that I normally do but has become second nature. There are usually bad chalk at the pool rooms and if a guy uses the house chalk...I will bring the chalk with me after a shot. So he has to come back and get it or use the bad one on the table. If you do it consistently then the opponent would think it's accidental.

TheNewSharkster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
**IF** you are playing for fun, and the 8ball is a hanger, I like to use the bumper of my cue to make the shot :grin:

Of course sharking isn't cool at all if you are pulling moves to win a game. I just do the above example to have some fun with people I know.

danquixote

DanQuixote
Silver Member
I think you guys are being sharked now. look at this dudes join date...2007 and just 39 posts......BS. Looks like a wannabe hustler looking to learn road tricks w/o paying his dues to me. Maybe PP has reincarnated himself....I dunno but this thread is kinda shakey.....Dan

dom_poppa

Banned
I think you guys are being sharked now. look at this dudes join date...2007 and just 39 posts......BS. Looks like a wannabe hustler looking to learn road tricks w/o paying his dues to me. Maybe PP has reincarnated himself....I dunno but this thread is kinda shakey.....Dan

really?

perhaps you can guess my favorite color and what car I drive based on join date and posts?

Please enlighten us Detective Columbo.

This is suppose to be a light hearted fun thread BTW.