Who is doing full-splice cues these days?

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Hello everyone.

I was curious about something.

We all know that less than 10 years ago, there wae very few cue makers still doing a full splice butt (other than house cue conversions).

Burton Spain always did that (with a few exceptions I assume) and he handed his knolege over to Joel Hercek, so he's doing it now.

So, like Joel, who is making their own full splice blanks and completing them into cues these days?

Anyway, here's a list of the ones I know of... (Thanks to members who have clarified and added to this list!!!)

John Davis
Peter Tascarella
Joel Hercek
Paul Mottey
James White
Prather
S&S Cues
Blackcreek Cues
Fanelli
Mark Bear
Murray Tucker
Ed Prewitt
Jerry Terbrock
Scott Whisler

There are others who are offering full splice cues, but I don't know if they make their own blanks. Even Prather is a bit off an odd one, as he makes the blanks and he makes the cues, but not necessarily makes a specific blank for a specic cue if you know what I mean, but regardless, he makes full splice blanks and cues (or his compoany does anyway).

Back on track- who makes full splice blanks and cues these days? Am I wrong in my list above (which I will continue to edit as other cue makers are brought to my attention)? In general, this is a blank with veneers I am refering to. Joe Barringer makes full splice blanks with no veneers (that I am aware of) again- please correct me as I want a reliable list when I am done for everyone who is interested, to rely on.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys. I love the full splice, and want to see that art form continue long after we are gone.:thumbup:

Last edited:

abbassi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe some of Paul Fannelli butterfly cues he made recently are full splice. Not exactly sure.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Thanks Guys.
I checked quickly and it appears John Davis (naturally- didn't realize he was back!), S&S and Blackcreek are all doing ful splice cues with Veneers. Could not verify Showman quickly, so he's not out!

Fanelli as well- best known for the butterfly, he does full splice 'prongs' as well.

List updated!

PS would lobe to have a Tascarella made with a Davis blank.... *drool* Might have to make some calls and sell the cars...

vgodley1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Carolina Cues Makes their own blanks and I saw a few of their full splice cues, which looked very nice.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I saw his site, (Murray Tucker) but beleive he is getting blanks from Prather or Cue Components- I haven't seen any with veneers. I was trying to keep it to that croud, but he does in fact offer full splice cues, as your link shows.

If he is making his own blanks, and does offer veneers, I would like to know, and will gladly add him to the roster in that case.;)

Carolina confuses me a bit. They call just about everything a splice, but I think most of those are not a true full-splice. The ring above the rap is a give-away; however there is a way to do that (well, two actually) that I am aware of; they appear to me to be typical cut points with four pieces inlaid (which was very typical for many years). And is also a bit of a dying art, with the advent of CNC points (ala Joss east, Schon etc.)

I am certain they make a quality cue, and do show some full splice cues with no wrap, but I am a bit hesitant to put them on this list at the moment... If you can verify they do fit my little thread here, I will be glad to add them to the lst!

Last edited:

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
I saw his site, (Murray Tucker) but beleive he is getting blanks from Prather or Cue Components- I haven't seen any with veneers. I was trying to keep it to that croud, but he does in fact offer full splice cues, as your link shows.

If he is making his own blanks, and does offer veneers, I would like to know, and will gladly add him to the roster in that case.;)

Carolina confuses me a bit. They call just about everything a splice, but I think most of those are not a true full-splice. The ring above the rap is a give-away; however there is a way to do that (well, two actually) that I am aware of; they appear to me to be typical cut points with four pieces inlaid (which was very typical for many years). And is also a bit of a dying art, with the advent of CNC points (ala Joss east, Schon etc.)

I am certain they make a quality cue, and do show some full splice cues with no wrap, but I am a bit hesitant to put them on this list at the moment... If you can verify they do fit my little thread here, I will be glad to add them to the lst!

Here are 4 full spliced cues, blanks made by John Davis, and cues made by $CASH$. The cues with wraps are double full spliced, with the second splice below the wrap. The top cue has an inlaid ring, remaining a double full splice.

DSC00896.jpg

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Here are 4 full spliced cues, blanks made by John Davis, and cues made by $CASH$. The cues with wraps are double full spliced, with the second splice below the wrap. The top cue has an inlaid ring, remaining a double full splice.

DSC00896.jpg

Excellent info, but not exactly what I was looking for.

The Cash Cues site is a bit barren- but I see he is still around. John Davis is on the list above; Cash does not make the blanks themselves.

Excellent cues by the way!

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
I believe Darrin Hill, north of Chicago, does his own full-splices. Check out his webpage: www.hillscues.com. He does some beautiful work and is a great guy.

There is a very nice Hill available right now that I nearly bought myself.

I have not been able to determine if he buys the blanks from Prather or makes them himself.

The Prather blanks are quite nice by the way...

If we can confirm he is making his own blanks, I will gladly add him to the list.:)

hangemhigh

Known Sinner
Silver Member
Excellent info, but not exactly what I was looking for.

The Cash Cues site is a bit barren- but I see he is still around. John Davis is on the list above; Cash does not make the blanks themselves.

Excellent cues by the way!

I wanted to provide an example of a full splice with an A-ring like you described,which was highlighted in your quote. Cash made F/S blanks are in the works, thanks.

Cue Guru

Close, but no roll...
Silver Member
Very cool.

Please keep us posted on Cash as they progress. I am happy to add them to the list once they are making their own blanks!:thumbup:

Anyone else?

cueaddicts

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
Andy Gilbert makes his own full-splice blanks, but he's only made an extremely limited supply of them.

James White/Paul Mottey, also.

Several more CMs doing them now than was the case 10 or so yrs ago, that's for sure !!