How do one pocket players feel about the Carbon Fiber Shafts?

poolhustler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
both my R12.9's came with soft tips, so no need to change them

both my R12.9's hit exactly like my old precat 314's with medium tips

both my R12.9's took zero time to adjust to

bottom line.... I was a C player before and after the R12.9's

:D

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an Ultra-skin soft on my Becue shafts and I can hit it as soft as I like.

I prefer a soft tip because I like to "feel" the ball on the tip and I want to "mute" the hit some. For me, a hard tip makes the cue ball come off the tip too "hot". The rebound is too quick for my liking.

I like to use a firm grip and "guide" the cue ball around the table with stroke speed and no spin when playing rotation games. When playing something like one-pocket, the soft tip allows me to finesse the ball..

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use an Ultra-skin soft on my Becue shafts and I can hit it as soft as I like.

I prefer a soft tip because I like to "feel" the ball on the tip and I want to "mute" the hit some. For me, a hard tip makes the cue ball come off the tip too "hot". The rebound is too quick for my liking.

I like to use a firm grip and "guide" the cue ball around the table with stroke speed and no spin when playing rotation games. When playing something like one-pocket, the soft tip allows me to finesse the ball..

I "like" the same things you like.

But, I can't play very long if I use a softer tip and I'm realizing it lately.

Currently, I'm using a kamui SS. I'm having to use much more energy to move the ball vs when I was using medium to soft tips.

My "touch" is better with SS tips but in rotation, whew....I feel like I'm working.

Of course, the ferrule that I just had installed softened the revo up a TON. I may have no choice, due to lack of energy to go back to a harder tip or change ferrule material.....something..... that's for sure.

I'm getting tired of being worn to a frazzle in about half the time it took this time last week.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what's lost here is that CF Shafts do help but mostly in offenseive games such as 14.1 and rotation games. I have yet to see any 3C players use CF in their games. Why is that? I suspect that the amount of english required to play 3C cannot be generated with CF. If it could then those 3C players would be using those shafts. They play a game that uses cueball control more than object ball control. What I said earlier about extreme spin in One Pocket is IMO better suited to standard shafts.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think what's lost here is that CF Shafts do help but mostly in offenseive games such as 14.1 and rotation games. I have yet to see any 3C players use CF in their games. Why is that? I suspect that the amount of english required to play 3C cannot be generated with CF. If it could then those 3C players would be using those shafts. They play a game that uses cueball control more than object ball control. What I said earlier about extreme spin in One Pocket is IMO better suited to standard shafts.
3c players are already using them. Spin is determined by tip-offset and not the material. IMO carbon is even better suited to 3c than pool due the power you get.The thing about carbon-fiber is its "tunability", in other words it can be made in any taper/stiffness. Just look at golf shafts. They make golf shafts to fit ANY power level of swing. It won't be long before some company starts building cf pool shafts to order.

billiardthought

Anti-intellectualism
Silver Member

I don't think this is right at all.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think this is right at all.
I agree. The negative stuff, 1p wise, is that the current crop of cf shafts are a tad "hot" for 1p. Based on my Revo test drive i kinda see their point. The ball does come of kinda hot for a lot of the touchy/finesse shots. I know, just go to a softer tip. Well, why buy a $500 shaft that needs an adjustment of some kind to play your game? CF shafts are still new and evolving and i'm sure many updates/changes will arrive soon enough. I'm cool with that. Good for the game imo.

Don Owen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Texdance; It is telling that most said:
Interesting thought. I think that is what happened to tire manufacturers when radial tires with much longer life became common.