Phil Eastwood's ''Black Death'' case.....!!

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi..

The following is my review of my latest ''Phi Eastwood'' case aptly named ""Black Death''...

This work of art was bought to life as an idea I've had for quite some time,,,it's a combination of Fantasy and Function,,,

I wanted it based on a fictional creature that I had invisioned,,part hedonistic ,barbaric animal,,part based on an actual ''Cyborg'' statue that I own most of all, I wanted it to scream ''All Attitude'',,!!

Mr. Eastwood not only suceeded it bringing it to life but Exceeded my wildest expectations !!

The case stand 42'' tall,,weighs in at approx. 9 lbs,,obviously, this is no ''flimsey'' case,, this thing is built to withstand anything that be thrown at it as all of Phil's cases are.

On each side of this beast sits 12 copper coins, that boost a ''Wild Anaimal'' , each of which Phil distressed and bent into a curve like shape to be able to grasp the leather,,,

Also on each side, there is a series of red dots that run horizontally from the snout all along to the butt ,, these dots not only add to the detail, but when ''Black Death'' is viewed from various angles, give the illusion that this sinister creature is subtly moving,,,,,especially under various lighting conditions...

The top of the case boasts a rich black mame of fringe that also runs the length of the case,,the mame and all the black serve to hightlight the overall appearance of the case and make all the small accentuations really Jump out at you,,[ which was the whole idea] !!
As far as the detailed head of this Cyborg goes,,it measures a grand 9'' ,,allowing for a very spacious storage compartment which I love,,[ for the hell of it, I wanted to see if one of my ''Raschig'' 9 ball sets would fit and it did so very comfortably..

In addition, two authentic animal tusks are added to the head, held in place by both a hand made copper insets as well as black lacing, again,, to allow all the details to ''pop''.......

Speaking of details, check out the ring at the snout,,also,,the very tiny Hog head that is affixed by a small circular bone that Phil carved and shaped,,,again,,,all by hand,,''Incredible''...

The head reclines back by a brass bar, sort of like a hinge with both ends topped off with copper heads..

All materials[ex...The Tusks] are real,,nothing ''faux'' or ''plastic'' on the case],,Phil told me that ''If this case is going to be seen and has my name on it, everything has to Shine....and man, does ''Black Death'' shine !!

There is a eight ball on one side of the case and a nine ball on the other,,,again,,all hand done, hand painted and attached,, each being in themselves, a raised piece of art ,,!!

A series of metal hog ties and rivets serve to not only secure the case but to decorate it as well.....

A look at the construction of this Bad Boy,,,,

The leather used is a thick 10 oz. cut which Mr. Eastwood choose to allow him to do all the carving, rivoting, detailing, etc...

The tubes are pvc type that are all hand sewn into a rich burgendy plush leather.

The tubes are then fused and encompassed by a liner of foam {similar to the top of your car or upholstery,,,,,3/4 " by the way}

As is the case with my ''Warcrest'' case,, the tubes allow cues to sit very firmly and safely into the case and again, are very easily removed by sliding them out with your thumb and forefinger..

The cues {2 butts and 4 shafts} will not fall out when this case is turned upside down either,,,once again , here's where Fantasy and Function meet...

Lastly,,there is a ''panic snap'' at the snout which asthetically accentuates the incedibley designed , hand painted and awesomely detailed ''Craw Diddley'' strap,,,this in itself is an amazing work of art...!!

Mr. Eastwood is a Phenom , although I own cases from some of the icons of yesteryear as well as some of today's great,, Mr. Eastwood is a talent in his own league, being that he has only crafted about 10 cases or so, there's no telling what marvels will come from his hands in the near future..!!

Check out his video on Youtube under ''Sick Leather'', or www.Phileastwoodstudios.com

Phil Eastwood is ''The Cassius Clay of Custom Cue Cases''....!!

I hope you enjoyed my review,,

,,,,,Alan Ende,,,,,,,

Here's ''Black Death'',,,,,

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=245390&highlight=BLACK+DEATH

Last edited:

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
Enjoyed the review and I'm a little jealous. That case is in a league of its own. It's without a doubt the coolest case i have ever seen.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks guys,,,

Yeah, I couldn't be more pleased with the creation by Mr. Eastwood...

I can't rave enough about his work and innate enthusiasm to bring leather to life,,,

Give him a call,, his passion and drive are second to none,,great guy to talk to and needless to say his creativity is out of this world !!

Phil's a Freakin Rock Star,,,,!!

,,,,,,,,,Alan.......

Last edited:

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
Alan,

Calling this a cue case is like calling a Brunswick Kling a cue display table. This is a work of art and imagination that for some odd reason happens to hold cues in it's belly. I have been inspired to say the least to go beyond my comfort zone and embrace my inner freak and try some unconventional construction methods.

Because what I see here is unbridled raw creativity. Maybe it's meticulously planned out but it screams out to me that it's molten imagination captured just before the fantasy floats into the ether.

It challenges convention, no it eats convention and says **** you, I exist now deal with me.

putt-putt44

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Eastwood,,,,!!

Hey John,,,,,

Yeah, I could've written 10 pages on ''Black Death'', everytime I marvel at it and study it, more detail jumps out at me,,,,,,,,

There aren't enough superlatives to describe what Mr. Eastwood does, an idea coupled with his imagination and skills are the only limit !!!

Thanks again,,

,,,,,,,Alan Ende,,,,,,,

Last edited:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Truly a unique piece of art, congratulations! Thanks for the review, too! :thumbup:

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I have only seen two cases created by Mr. Eastwood. Your case and the one belonging to Will Prout. I have to say that there aren't enough words to describe how very impressed I am. When I was at the ICCS cue show in St. Louis, I returned to Will's display over and over and over to look at his viking themed case. It made an impact on me as much as any of the masterpiece cues that were on display. Simply stunning.

Congrats and enjoy your one of a kind piece of art. It belongs in a museum.

Sincerely,
Jim Kissinger

Railbird Hero

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Epic!! I would love to see your opponents face when you lay your case on the table to pull out your cues. Love the tooling. Well, the whole form and function blend effortlessly. Please keep an extra watchful eye and take good care of it. I hope that lasts a lifetime and you can hand it down as an amazing heirloom. Again. Just mind numbingly awesome.

henchmen3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My KING OF KINGS case is on order to house me KING OF KINGS Black Boar cue. Cant wait to see it.

Xander13

Registered
Omg! I have to have one these things are out of this world awesome. I looked on the website. If I'm not being to forward how much was it to commission one?

barboxbanks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That case is absolutely amazing. I just can't picture myself ever actually using this case as a functional one out and about. These types just draw way too much attention for my liking, in a sense too Gotti for me. None the less, amazing case.