Diamond Pro-Am Cushion Height?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The gauge is designed for a 1.406" nose height, which is 62.5% of a standard 2 1/4" ball. Diamond tables are typically 1.453".

To explain why it is that you may not like the way that Diamond tables play:
Diamond tables require a higher nose height because they use Artemis cushions, installed upside-down. Installing the cushion with the rounded surface facing down creates a lower contact point on the ball, than if the flat side of the cushion were facing down. This creates inconsistency in rebound speed, dependent on the speed at which a ball hits the cushion. This is also why Diamond tables tend to bank short.

Have you installed Super Speed on Diamond tables, Brad?
To make them bank longer ?

bradsh98

Bradshaw Billiard Service
Silver Member
you're trying to explain something you know nothing about

Fair enough.. I've only worked on one Diamond table. Not popular in my area. Never had a reason to measure the nose height. So, maybe I was off on that. But, not wrong on ANYTHING else in my previous statements. I've played on several Diamonds, and I am very familiar with how they play.

Try to discredit me all you want, but at least I back my statements up with facts and supporting documentation.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Fair enough.. I've only worked on one Diamond table. Not popular in my area. Never had a reason to measure the nose height. So, maybe I was off on that. But, not wrong on ANYTHING else in my previous statements. I've played on several Diamonds, and I am very familiar with how they play.

Try to discredit me all you want, but at least I back my statements up with facts and supporting documentation.
Where's your facts and supporting documents that show the artemis cushion height is different depending on which way you mount it???

bradsh98

Silver Member
Where's your facts and supporting documents that show the artemis cushion height is different depending on which way you mount it???

I'll draw it on Monday. However, it's easy to understand when you consider that one side is rounded and the other side is flat. Sure, the nose height may be the same, but, with the rounded side mounted down, the point of contact is lower.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'll draw it on Monday. However, it's easy to understand when you consider that one side is rounded and the other side is flat. Sure, the nose height may be the same, but, with the rounded side mounted down, the point of contact is lower.

When you find out, let me know.

Tomster

Registered
So here's a photo showing the cushion nose height in inches:

cushion height 1.jpg

Last edited:

bradsh98

Silver Member
The gauge is designed for a 1.406" nose height, which is 62.5% of a standard 2 1/4" ball. Diamond tables are typically 1.453".

To explain why it is that you may not like the way that Diamond tables play:
Diamond tables require a higher nose height because they use Artemis cushions, installed upside-down. Installing the cushion with the rounded surface facing down creates a lower contact point on the ball, than if the flat side of the cushion were facing down. This creates inconsistency in rebound speed, dependent on the speed at which a ball hits the cushion. This is also why Diamond tables tend to bank short.

Hmm... 1 29/64... Or, as I stated previously: 1.453.

Guess I wasn't wrong afterall.

Tha nose height isn't what i said you were wrong about, go back and read some more....you'll figure it out.

I'm not getting in to this shit....everyone's a rail and cushion expert.....according to themselves.
The 1-29/64 nose height on Artemis cushions is the exact same Hump side up or flat side up.
I built a small test piece the last time Greg Sullivan was at my shop this past summer.
He didn't believe it as well.....until I showed him....and Greg has the test piece in his trunk.

I'm not getting in to this because I'm not giving out what I do differently to rails and cushions that makes my rails play better than all the rail experts on this site.
Don't ask....figure it out for yourself if your wanting to get the best play out of your cushions.......and then realize....hey there's no money in this shit....I'm not going to do this....LOL
That's what ya get when you spend a lot of time trying for perfection.

Best to be like all the others.....con everyone into how your tables are the best the guy doing my rails play as good as Mark's rails he does......yeah right.....but hey what do these people know.....only what I tell them.
Look at the people doing rail work and selling restored tables.

Now you know why I don't get into this shit.....I know my work and that's all I need to know......if people want the best.....they call me and pay my prices.
But they love what they get from my work.

Mark Gregory

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I'm not getting in to this shit....everyone's a rail and cushion expert.....according to themselves.
The 1-29/64 nose height on Artemis cushions is the exact same Hump side up or flat side up.
I built a small test piece the last time Greg Sullivan was at my shop this past summer.
He didn't believe it as well.....until I showed him....and Greg has the test piece in his trunk.

I'm not getting in to this because I'm not giving out what I do differently to rails and cushions that makes my rails play better than all the rail experts on this site.
Don't ask....figure it out for yourself if your wanting to get the best play out of your cushions.......and then realize....hey there's no money in this shit....I'm not going to do this....LOL

Best to be like all the others.....con everyone into how your tables are the best the guy doing my rails play as good as Mark's rails he does......yeah right.....but hey what do these people know.....only what I tell them.

Now you know why I don't get into this shit.....I know my work and that's all I need to know......if people want the best.....they call me and pay my prices.

Mark Gregory

Sorry Mark, you didn't want to get into this sh8, but you did. :D
Your tables bank the truest , I am told by a good authority in the subject.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:

bradsh98

Silver Member

Mark Gregory

I've never considered myself a rail expert, nor would I ever make comparisons to your work. Despite being able to do my own rail work, I still recommend your services to anyone seeking quality rail rebuilds.

This argument is more for the purpose of showing that Glen is not the only guy around who knows a thing or two about rails. It's not the artistry that some make it out to be. If you take a scientific approach, it's relatively easy to analyze cause and effect. Granted, I may not have the same number of years of trial and error that some of you have, but I've been around long enough to pick up a few things.

I just get so sick and tired of the "you don't know shit" comments, and the superiority complex that goes with it. If I make a false statement, tell me why it's wrong. Don't just insist that I don't know what I'm talking about, and try to discredit me. I've studied this shit myself, just like you guys. I've put in the time, and I've spent a ton of cash figuring it out. I don't claim to be any better than, or even just as good as, anyone else. I perform quality work, and I am very transparent. That's all I can say. Further, rebuilding rails is not really a service that I promote. Sure, I do it.. but that's a small part of what I do.

Tomster

Registered
That would be correct, about 1 29/64"....or as i like to say, a fat 1 7/16"....same as a Gold Crown, because it's the K55 profile cushions on the right rail thickness.

Got it, thanks.

Can I ask the purpose of the gap between bed cloth and bottom of the rails, for future reference? Seems to be a bit of a dirt trap, doesn't look so good.

balla and coin.jpg

dirt trap.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Got it, thanks.

Can I ask the purpose of the gap between bed cloth and bottom of the rails, for future reference? Seems to be a bit of a dirt trap, doesn't look so good.

View attachment 478128

View attachment 478129

Because not all cloth is the same thickness, and spring loaded staplers don't always set the head of the staples flat to the dado so, there's a cloth relief cut into the bottom of the rail where the cmoth staples to the bottom of the rail. Without that relief, the cushion nose height would change from cloth to cloth.

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Mark and i both know his rails bank true, we compare our rails back and forth, that's how we know for sure they bank right!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Just so you know Joey, Mark and i talk almost everyday, and discuss every aspect of the tables, and Mark and i share the same secrets about rail playabilitys....how do you think we arrived at the measurements we use today....by keeping secrets from each other? It's not about me teaching Mark, or Mark teaching me....it's always about one of use saying, what if we do this, or that...what would that effect, or change, or better! That's what YOU just absolutely refuse to understand, which is why like a little kid....keep trying to throw your BS into a comment any chance you get!