Cue Help for a Novice

langsky

Registered
I am looking to upgrade beyond the cues that come in the play kit with a new table purchase. I already upgraded to Super Aramith Pro balls, now it is time to upgrade to a new cue. I have been doing a lot of research on here looking for what would be a great cue in the under $300 range that will last me a long time. I have read that the Players HXTE10 and Cuetec R360 are good solid cues for the money.
I like the looks of the HXTE10 better than the Cuetecs, but I have also read that the LD tip on the HXTE10 does not really add much. I have also had the thought of buying a HXTE10 and a Cuetec R360 shaft. Am I over thinking this? Are there other cues out there in this price range I should be considering? All advice is welcome.

Kevin3824

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I personally think the R360 is a nice choice especially the older models that have the ability to attach an extension to even if the extension has been discontinued you can still find one online.

I would however also point out that if you were to want to spend 300 on a cue why not look at the used cue options you can get a used cue in excellent condition that would retail for substantially more. There is a lot of used cues for sale on here as well as other open markets just be careful and deal with people that can be vouched for.

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a Troy Downey cue in mint condition for $400.
New it was $975.00.
Used can be your best bet for value.
Just be careful.
Buy from sellers on here that have good and long I trader rating.

langsky

Registered
What about Viking Cues with the Vikore shaft? Should I even be concerned with LD shafts or would I be better off to spend to get an LD shaft?

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can find an excellent used custom sneaky pete for 300 dollars. If you wait for the right deal you can get one from Leon Sly, Bob Frey, Pat Diveney, and a host of other great makers for not all that much more than that.

Brand new, I'd say get a Pechauer, Lucasi (if you don't mind China-made) or Schmelke. You can get a customized Schmelke for like 200 bucks or so, and I hear they're high quality for the price. I've had Pechauer and Lucasi cues and both were great for the money.

I personally would not worry about LD unless you plan on switching at some point. If you're going to do that, might as well do it now. But if you're new to the game I'd say you should be sticking to center ball almost exclusively anyways, so it's not going to matter much.

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Honestly if you are just beginning, just toss the names of all your favorite candidates into a hat and pick one. You cannot miss at the beginner level. When you mature and get more fussy and anal about your game, you will NEED a cue to your exacting specifications.... anything prior to that just needs a good solid cue.... McDermott, Viking, CueTech, Joss, Players, Voodoo, Action, Meucci (god help us), Dufferin, Schmelke.... take your pick... They hit a ton.

Lesh

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go for a Schon if you can find a low end one for that price. It is a very reliable production cue and the low end ones play just as good as the expensive ones.

DMM4342

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have an opportunity to try out different cues either at a local shop or from other players in your area? I had the same budget as you when I bought my first cue. I went to the local brick & mortar store, tried out whatever was in my range and decided on a Pechauer over my second choice of a Lucasi. Over the years I tried out other people's cues and got a sense of what I liked before I made a bigger investment in something that suited the tastes I developed through experience. There are a lot of suggestions that can be made here and none of them are wrong or right, just a matter of preference. Weight, tip diameter, feel, LD or not, are all matters of preference. Try to get your hands on something and see what fits.

I think that is great advice!
One method of trying out other cues would be to introduce yourself to different patrons at one or more of your local pool halls.
An introductory line might go like this,
"I am looking for a new cue. Would you take the time to tell me what you like about your cue and why?"
I would bet that you would get a few offers to shoot with their cues.
Dave

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think that is great advice!
One method of trying out other cues would be to introduce yourself different patrons at one or two of your local pool halls.
An introductory line might go like this,
"I am looking for a new cue. Would you take the time to tell me what you like about your cue and why?"
I would bet that you would get a few offers to shoot with their cues.
Dave

that would work with me.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I think I would find one I like that is in my budget and go with that one.
Player makes a couple of real nice looking cues that are well within that price,
and you can upgrade to the better player shaft and still have a little chunk of dough left over for beer. You can certainly get a McDermott for under 300 or you can probably find a nice Josh (Joss) or Moochy (Meucci) (yes, I plagiarized those).
Personally I'd look for a McDermott, and not a Lucky or a Star

Burnett Custom Cues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a Schmelke guy myself and don't think you could go wrong with them. You can pick what wood you want, 3/8x10 pin with .840 joint, the weight you would like and a flat laminated low deflection shaft for around $150. You would be able to put any LD shaft you wanted to try in the future and the 3/8x10 pin is one of the most popular pin size now, so shaft would be readily available. If I didn't go with Schmelke, I would buy the closeout Players on Seyberts web site. They have one for $112 with two shafts and a 3/8x10 pin. It comes with a 13 mm maple shaft that plays good and a free 12.75 mm HXT shaft. You can't beat that deal! IMO you can't go wrong with either one.

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another vote for Schmelke. Im in the process of ordering another one, a 60" one piece bocote butt with a couple of shafts. Fancy butt and joint rings all the bells and whistles, should be under 300 shipped (waiting on the quote).

American made, good quality product at a bizarrely low price. No brainer in my way of thinking. :thumbup:

Mike81

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Waiting on my first schmelke. It's being made exactly how I'd like it be, for under 300 also. How can that not be a good deal for your first cue ? American made!

Reactions: JC

RiverCity

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Regarding the Schmelke route, a friend of mine picked up one of their butts for around $70 which freed up his budget for the shaft of his choice and could easily keep you under $300. He did this through a local shop that agreed to knock down the price for a butt without a Schmelke shaft. No idea if you could get that deal directly from Schmelke.

Yep, they will sell you a a butt only for IIRC 30% off. :D

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What about Viking Cues with the Vikore shaft? Should I even be concerned with LD shafts or would I be better off to spend to get an LD shaft?

I think Viking cues are pretty nice, it seems many people over look them. I am from WI and since Viking is located in WI I see pretty many of them. If you are not used to playing with an LD shaft yet I dont think I would go out of my way to start using one. Many people try them and end up going back to conventional shafts.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tips don't affect variation on deflection. I've tried many and stick with Lepro's

My advice from years of buying and selling is just to pick something and stick with it. R360's have great reviews. Any number of older mcdermotts, mali's or adam's can be had for nothing on craigslist. LD tech isn't necessary to play, but if you like it, go for it. OB is top notch quality. Or like Baron said, just pick up a used sneaky. You can get a decent unknown maker sneaky for less than 150 and often as not, it'll be decent quality. Hard to mess up a sneaky.

Last edited: