626 is it legit?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
If there were edgy slates then more scratches would also occur so that would not be a winning strategy.

It is well known that I believe this run happened, I'm happy for John, and know how much effort went into reaching this milestone. Well done!

That said, I disagree with your point about edgy slates. The same exact point can be made about the use of 5" pockets rather than the 4 1/2" pockets pros usually use. Scratching into a pocket was a greater danger on the loose table, but not to the point that it made running balls harder.

I am also struggling with the suggestion that whether this was an exhibition run or a practice run is a matter of semantics. As practice runs do not qualify for consideration as the world record (Eufemia 626, Cranfield 768 and Cranfield over 700 on another occasion), there is something very strange about the fact that the BCA signed off on this as an exhibition run, as a significant portion of it occurred before the pool hall opened and was not witnessed by anyone outside of John's team. A year after the fact, the general public has not seen the video, save a few who were charged for the privilege. Mosconi's run was witnessed in its entirety by numerous impartial observers on hand for a pre-announced exhibition.

Last edited:

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Much higher 14.1 practice runs have better documentation than this one does.

Can you enlighten the group as to what you are referencing?

How high are the runs?
What is the "better documentation"?
Who accomplished the runs that were much higher than 626?

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... there is something very strange about the fact that the BCA signed off on this as an exhibition run, as a significant portion of it occurred before the pool hall opened and was not witnessed by anyone outside of John's team. ...

Stu -- I don't know whether it's true that no one outside of John's team saw the run from the start. Here are some posts on that subject exchanged about 3 months ago.

• ... Was this Really an Exhibition?
    Some have taken note that the run began well before the poolroom was open to the public. A case can, therefore, be made that it wasn't an exhibition run at all. Is a run that was only partially available for view by the general public really an exhibition run?...

Apparently Easy Street's normal opening time for customers is 1:00 pm. But that is for customers to play pool. To me, that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't let people in who arrived earlier than that to watch John's high-run attempts. It's possible that the room advertised or posted notice of the days and times John would be there running balls, and let in anyone who showed up to watch. But, granted, we do not know at present.

Bob, did the room advertise or post a notice of the days and times John would be there making high-run attempts?

The range of dates was advertised but I'm not sure that the exact days were available more than 24 hours in advance. When I went to Easy Street to watch, I called a few days ahead to make sure John would be there. I think the dates/hours at Bull Shooters were more precise and set ahead of time. It's possible the info was on FacePlant -- I was not.

Of the 8 people who signed the certification referenced in the affidavit, 4 of them would certainly be considered part of John's "team" -- his wife, the room owner, the racker, and the racker's wife. I don't know whether the other 4 [Fred Lenz, David Lota (or Cota), Ian Locklar, Josiah Sinkler] were present for the entire run. The certification says they "witnessed" the run of 626.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can you enlighten the group as to what you are referencing?

How high are the runs?
What is the "better documentation"?
Who accomplished the runs that were much higher than 626?

Dammit, Haze!

There is no support to offer for the claim. Why you buggin' the nut about that?!!?

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
<groan>
This again...seriously? Look, Danny, if you put effort into it, you have a chance to beat that record. So get to it. It obviously bugs you to an unhealthy degree, but you have a chance to do something about it. For whatever reason you hate JS, we all get it. The best way to get back at him is to beat the record and then put your run up on youtube.

Nobody even cares about the record anymore, legit or not. I love 14.1 and haven't even thought about it for months. I posted in this thread in January. That was the last time I ever thought about it, to my recollection. If you made the worlds biggest sandwich, in the end what you're left with is a dusty plaque in a restaurant. That's the level of notoriety this run has, right now. Even if the video was put up on youtube now, I'm not even sure I would watch it. I had a lot of curiousity a few months ago, but all this covid nonsense and not playing for couple of months took the last bit of curiousity right out of me. It was mostly the mystery of fake vs. non-fake that intrigued me, I allready know how JS plays, and I doubt I could sit through 4 hours of him playing solo unless it was very close to the event happening, now there is no chance.

Straight pool is most interesting when there is at least the possibility of an opponent coming back in. High runs can be interesting live, or maybe if it's someone I know playing. I did watch a live-stream of what was one of JS 400+ runs and it was entertaining, because I didnt' know what was going to happen. Also he got in trouble seemingly every rack and shot himself out of it. That was kind of interesting. I wouldn't watch that video again, though. I'd watch your run Danny, mostly because I've read your posts on here, and I haven't seen you play a lot, and never seen you play straight pool. I hear you have great patterns. I'd love to see it.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So, what's new. The game so loved by many doesn't even deserve any accolades. Just do it in the dark or don't do it in the dark and just tell the world that you did what you say you did. NO ONE cares, just don't ask ANYONE to send donations, cards or letters. Get along with the program. The whole story doesn't pass the smell test, much less the time test. They were talking about 526 for seventy-five years, nothing being said about this claim, not even one year later.

Nothing, eh?

I bet I can find something online about the Mosconi-Shatterring Record from every month since John crushed Mosconi's record by nearly 20 %.

If you wanna actually stand by your claim.

Fuggit. I'll double my side and bet I find 2 things from every month.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
just don't ask ANYONE to send donations, cards or letters.

Why not? I send money to support pool all the time.

I have some extra time on my hands due to the COVID and I checked on your posting stats

NO ONE cares

It seems you care, a lot.

nothing being said about this claim, not even one year later.

Interestingly, you have quite a lot to say about this topic. Since May 30, 2019 you have made 275 negative posts ( I counted ) of your 304 total posts about JS running 626 balls in various AZ threads.

Rather obvious you have strong feelings on this topic and makes me wonder how many negative posts you might have made on Facebook.

Takes a lot of energy to have such hard core negative feelings.

Just congratulate JS and be done with it. Run 627 and nobody will ever talk about him again.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Credits to H Belafonte, The Boat Song.
Come, mister tally man, tally me posts
Daylight come and me wan' go home
Come, mister tally man, tally me posts
Daylight come and me wan' go home
Timothy, come lately, got nothin left to do, so tally me posts

Where've you been the last 358 days? You seem to be awed with lots of wonderment! By the way what does js in js626 stand for? I have yet to see even 1(one) post from the mystery person in js626. I have read quite a lot about his supposed accomplishment from Azb supporters, but nary a smidgeon of support for/from the man himself.

Those lyrics gave me an out loud chuckle. Good one.

but who's counting

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Stu -- I don't know whether it's true that no one outside of John's team saw the run from the start. Here are some posts on that subject exchanged about 3 months ago.

What you've posted are theories that suggest that it was possible a few members of the public were there, but hardly constitutes evidence. It would also be very hard to believe that if this was an exhibition was open to the general public that just four who could possibly be counted as the general public were in attendance. Is that an exhibition? I'm sticking with my contention that, though I believe the run happened, it is highly arguable whether this was an exhibition.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Harriman last posted on Azb on 04-25-2020, 01:47 PM. I think he promised to discontinue any further js626 discussion on this forum and seems to be true to his word. :boring2:

Credits to Goo Goo Dolls, Can't Let It Go_

You said he should prove the run
And you'd be satisfied.
I feel the light has dimmed and gone.
Half the pool world is begging
While the other half believes the run.
Where did everything go wrong?
Everyday you can't believe,
Mostly your're posting negative posts,
Trying to be heard.
I am your anger,
And you were my bewilderment.
Now that it's over
Of course it's so clear.
John Schmidt did run 626.

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you have a lot of spare time on your hands, please go back over xradarx posts and highlight proof for your misstatements.

OK, you seem to have extra time on your hands too.

I haven't made misstatements, so it'd be great if you'd clarify.

but your negative average is going down due to other non JS posts, so congratulations!

haystj

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Deny! Deny! Deny! Obfuscate the scenario. Time has been kind to me. Just passing through this stage. You?

This post is a step in the right direction!

277 negative posts of 311 total posts has lowered you to only 89% negative posting.

That is a step in the right direction XRADARX!!!!!!,,,,, whoever you are.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I was wrong bout u

<groan>
This again...seriously? Look, Danny, if you put effort into it, you have a chance to beat that record. So get to it. It obviously bugs you to an unhealthy degree, but you have a chance to do something about it. For whatever reason you hate JS, we all get it. The best way to get back at him is to beat the record and then put your run up on youtube.

Nobody even cares about the record anymore, legit or not. I love 14.1 and haven't even thought about it for months. I posted in this thread in January. That was the last time I ever thought about it, to my recollection. If you made the worlds biggest sandwich, in the end what you're left with is a dusty plaque in a restaurant. That's the level of notoriety this run has, right now. Even if the video was put up on youtube now, I'm not even sure I would watch it. I had a lot of curiousity a few months ago, but all this covid nonsense and not playing for couple of months took the last bit of curiousity right out of me. It was mostly the mystery of fake vs. non-fake that intrigued me, I allready know how JS plays, and I doubt I could sit through 4 hours of him playing solo unless it was very close to the event happening, now there is no chance.

Straight pool is most interesting when there is at least the possibility of an opponent coming back in. High runs can be interesting live, or maybe if it's someone I know playing. I did watch a live-stream of what was one of JS 400+ runs and it was entertaining, because I did know what was going to happen. Also he got in trouble seemingly every rack and shot himself out of it. That was kind of interesting. I wouldn't watch that video again, though. I'd watch your run Danny, mostly because I've read your posts on here, and I haven't seen you play a lot, and never seen you play straight pool. I hear you have great patterns. I'd love to see it.

Your not a 14.1 purist, ur another robot. When u say nobody even cares about The record anymore - ur just wrong and is something a facebook idiot would say - as if to try and indoctrinate us into ur mediocrity. So again chopped video will never = solid proof. u have been blocked as well faceplanter. I know yer old enough to remember Mosconi - maybe even still a bit jealous of his past accomplishments vs that of yors', If I do start posting some 14.1 runs of my own, my goal will be to surpass 526 and not j.s.chopped footage virtual reality bogus - he deserves no place in the record books after trying to steal Mosconi's true record of 526.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
yer a puppett

626 is 626. I don't care is it official or not. It is still 626.

yer a facebook puppett, Not referring to there not being a ref at the table "official run" I am referring to the fact that there has not been any un edited footage released that proves the bca's and or j.s. claim that Mosconi's World Record has been surpassed - it's relevant.

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your not a 14.1 purist, ur another robot. When u say nobody even cares about The record anymore - ur just wrong and is something a facebook idiot would say - as if to try and indoctrinate us into ur mediocrity. So again chopped video will never = solid proof. u have been blocked as well faceplanter. I know yer old enough to remember Mosconi - maybe even still a bit jealous of his past accomplishments vs that of yors', If I do start posting some 14.1 runs of my own, my goal will be to surpass 526 and not j.s.chopped footage virtual reality bogus - he deserves no place in the record books after trying to steal Mosconi's true record of 526.

Hahahh...Charles insults half of his fan base.

What a nut.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
The Hawk

In my backyard I witnessed an incredible display of nature the other day, there was a field Hawk on top of a fence post looking down in hunting mode. Upon further inspection I could see a squirrel hiding under the fence, I knew it was just a matter of time for the squirrel as the Hawk looked bored (pacing back and forth in search of moment to strike). Purty soon I saw the Hawk swoop down and carry away it's prey - very cool. I think there are a few pertinent human hawks circling over j.s/bca squirrely chopped video of 626. I'm not on the fence when it comes to my heavy doubt that an unedited 626 will ever get released to the public, however I would consider myself Hawkishly' truthful person - with a sharp eye. I do think the bca/j.s. put the buggy before the horse with their announcement about this squirrely 626 chopped video - may have even got uh little carried away. For right now this is all I'm talon'.

Ok I will go ahead and give myself the Harriman Gold star.

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I notice few care any more about power-trio rock music also. The world changes, but not always for the better.

Wayne Crimi

Wasn't Mosconi's run on an 8 foot table? Also, I'm sure I read he did not miss. He just got tired of playing and stopped.

I saw Mosconi play when he was in his 60s, long retired, and almost certainly well past his peak.

I saw Sigel, Varner, Hopkins, Rempe, Margo. Nagy. Martin, West, Miserak, Colavita, and everyone else in that era play many times at their peak and everyone that came after them at least a few times. I'm telling you in his 60s Mosconi would still have hung with any of those guys at their peaks. Maybe several would have had the edge, but no way on earth they were clearly better than him when he was at his peak based on what I saw in his 60s and not even playing regularly. He was crazy good.

8BALL EDDIE

Personally, I'm on the fence about John Schmidt's 626-ball run.

Do I believe that Schmidt, or any of the "witnesses", are lying about the feat? No, not necessarily.

However, I'm not the type of person that just blindly believes word of mouth. Without seeing something for myself, I simply chalk it up as talk.

Furthermore, the fact that there's 'allegedly' video proof of the amazing run, yet nobody will release it, does raise a little suspicion. I mean, if I did something so impressive, I'd make sure the whole world saw it/knew it!

Bottom line: I don't doubt it could have happened. I'll believe it when I see it. None the less, even if Schmidt's claims are completely true, I still find Willie Mosconi's 526-ball run in 1954 far more impressive - given the old tables; cushions; conditions; traditional high-deflection tip, ferrule, shaft, joint, cue; etc. And, the fact that his historic accomplishment stood unmatched for at least 65 years.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wasn't Mosconi's run on an 8 foot table? Also, I'm sure I read he did not miss. He just got tired of playing and stopped.
These topics have both been discussed here many times.

It was an 8-foot table with large pockets. Some say it is harder to run balls on that compared to a 9-foot table and some say it is easier.

He missed the six ball on the 527th ball of the run. He did not just quit although he may have been tired. In later years, Willie said on at least one occasion that he "just got tired". Eye witness accounts say he missed and his autobiography says so as well, as shown here:

Scan20201124.jpg

Here's the autobiography:

Scan20201124_0001.jpg