Playing pool with the mechanical bridge?

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
Many years ago people used things called "maces" to play pool that had blunt ends like for shuffleboard. You can look it up. That would be similar. We don't do that anymore.

Have you played with a mace? I found one years ago on eBay but the price went a little too high for me. Maybe I could get a custom one made...

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
So has anyone tried to play pool with the mechanical bridge? What I mean by this is using the mechanical bridge just like a regular cue stick.

1) Why would you want to?

2) A slip-on style like the Moosehead could be forced down far enough on a smaller diameter shaft (11mm or so) to move past the tip. But dragging that across the cloth on every shot would just wear the table.

3) How would you see where you're striking the ball? Even with a clear bridge head the refraction could give you a lot of error in a game of millimetres.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have you played with a mace? I found one years ago on eBay but the price went a little too high for me. Maybe I could get a custom one made...
I have never played with one. I saw one at the Billiard Museum in Vienna. Maybe this is actually the one:

CropperCapture[536].jpg

More pictures of maces and paintings/drawings of players using them can be found here:

http://events.markus-hofstaetter.at/hofstaetter/weingartner/Museum/

along with lots of cues, balls and tables.

jaime_lion

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1) Why would you want to?

2) A slip-on style like the Moosehead could be forced down far enough on a smaller diameter shaft (11mm or so) to move past the tip. But dragging that across the cloth on every shot would just wear the table.

3) How would you see where you're striking the ball? Even with a clear bridge head the refraction could give you a lot of error in a game of millimetres.

1 Because it sounds fun and a challenge.

2 I will probably have to buy my own in order to do this. That is one of the reasons I might not be able to do this is the wear on the cloth.

3 Did I say I would be any good? I think it would be more fun and challenging. Just something to experiment with. Kind of like playing pool till your legs crumple because you have played for 24 hours straight and you are testing your endurance.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My guess is a pool hall owner would not want someone doing that because it could wear out the cloth.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
1 Because it sounds fun and a challenge.

2 I will probably have to buy my own in order to do this. That is one of the reasons I might not be able to do this is the wear on the cloth.

3 Did I say I would be any good? I think it would be more fun and challenging. Just something to experiment with. Kind of like playing pool till your legs crumple because you have played for 24 hours straight and you are testing your endurance.

Just use a mop handle

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reminds me of the Peter Sellers/‘Shot in the Dark’ scene where he tried to shoot with the highly arched snooker (?) bridge, and passed it completely over the CB. I’ve never seen that type of bridge in any poolroom. Always wondered if it might be advantageous (every time I had to stack 2 standard ones to reach over a cluster).

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member