"St. Louie Louie" Roberts Book

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Page 113, this book, so far, is mostly about the author and not St. Louie Louie. Entertaining, but not so much about the St.

We must have different books.

Louie is a central character throughout the book. Admittedly, there are peripheral stories focused on other characters but they're used to give you a sense of the St. Louis pool scene in which Louis grew up. Anywhos, the stories, even those not focused primarily on Louie, are a great, fun read for pool players.

Lou Figueroa

dogginda9

I need a vacation.
Silver Member
We must have different books.

Louie is a central character throughout the book. Admittedly, there are peripheral stories focused on other characters but they're used to give you a sense of the St. Louis pool scene in which Louis grew up. Anywhos, the stories, even those not focused primarily on Louie, are a great, fun read for pool players.

Lou Figueroa

I met Mark and Louie in early 1990 and I'm sure Mark had plenty of his own exploits as he played quite well himself at that time. Can't wait to read the book as I'm sure these 2 had some "interesting" adventures together.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Mark and Louie in early 1990 and I'm sure Mark had plenty of his own exploits as he played quite well himself at that time. Can't wait to read the book as I'm sure these 2 had some "interesting" adventures together.

It's a great read.

But if you're looking for a Boswell style biography of Louie... keep looking.

Lou Figueroa

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta buy this book. I loved and hated Louie, all at the same time. :rolleyes:
I was able to order it after Amazon made me jump through hurdles just to be able to buy it. They tried to stick me with extra shipping charges unless I opted out and got shipping for free. I HATE buying anything on Amazon and will NEVER get one of their cards. I do sell my book on there (kindle version), but it's virtually impossible to ever find out what is going on with my sales. Someone is buying it though as I get a royalty check every three months with zero details on sales. I'm not even sure how much I make on each sale. Jeff Bezos is a little too fckn rich for me! :wink:

Jay, happy to see you still posting away here!:)

If you would not mind please tell the story about the time you and Louie came to Austin to play in he Sid Mann event at the Villa Capri. If I remember it right you spent more time over at Moyer's Austin Cue club than the actual event! Maybe you have a story about the old Texas Open too?

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Amazon just delivered mine about 30 minutes ago. Thanks for the recommendation; I look forward to reading it.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I gotta buy this book. I loved and hated Louie, all at the same time. :rolleyes:
I was able to order it after Amazon made me jump through hurdles just to be able to buy it. They tried to stick me with extra shipping charges unless I opted out and got shipping for free. I HATE buying anything on Amazon and will NEVER get one of their cards. I do sell my book on there (kindle version), but it's virtually impossible to ever find out what is going on with my sales. Someone is buying it though as I get a royalty check every three months with zero details on sales. I'm not even sure how much I make on each sale. Jeff Bezos is a little too fckn rich for me! :wink:

Any legitimate book about Louie should have included an interview with you.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Jay, happy to see you still posting away here!:)

If you would not mind please tell the story about the time you and Louie came to Austin to play in he Sid Mann event at the Villa Capri. If I remember it right you spent more time over at Moyer's Austin Cue club than the actual event! Maybe you have a story about the old Texas Open too?

The short version. I sent Louie airfare and we met up in Austin for the tournament, sharing a room at Sid Mann's hotel the Villa Capri, also the location of the tournament. Sid was guaranteeing 30,000 and all the top players were there. Things were going smoothly and Louie won his first two matches easily. He won't be playing until the next afternoon so we decide to take our rental car out to Moyer's where all the action is.

I just wanted to visit the place and see what was going on, but Louie being Louie he wanted to play someone, anyone! Right away after we get there guys start coming up to Louie, all of them asking for spots. I don't know any of these guys and I'm reluctant for Louie to start right out giving up the seven and eight to unknown players. Not Louie though. He is very accommodating and quickly gets into a game, giving up the seven and eight. He buries the first guy with a barrage of run outs and we win a few hundred. Good enough for me but Louie is just beginning. Over the course of the next four or five hours Louie plows through a few more wannabee hustlers, giving up increasingly large spots. By 1 AM we've won a few thou and I convince Louie it's time to get some rest.

Louie has run out of opponents and he agrees to leave with me. As we are pulling out of the parking lot here comes a big caddy and hanging out the window is Jimmy King. He's flashing a huge wad in his hands and yelling for Louie to stop. Louie starts salivating. He wants all that money. I try to convince him that we need to go back to our room now since he has some important matches later today. Louie demands that I stop and let him out. He tells me he will only play for an hour or two and get a ride back after that. I give him half the money and leave.

Naturally Louie is a no show that night. I wake up at 8 AM and still no Louie. By 10 AM I'm getting worried. Finally at about Noon a completely frazzled looking Louie drags himself inside. He has lost all the money plus whatever he could borrow there. He tells me he gave Jimmy the eight and the break - TOO MUCH to give a good player, and Louie was already tired from playing so long.

Meanwhile he has a match to play in one hour. He lays down for 30 minutes or so and I have to drag him to the bathroom to get ready to play. I walk Louie to the tournament room and he begins the match without hitting a ball. He manages to go two and out that day. We get back zero from the tournament. My share of the winnings at Moyer's is enough to pay all our expenses, but after I give Louie 200 to fly home on, I end up about even for the trip. Another lost weekend with my sweet and sour friend Louie.

I could never give up on Louie. He was so charismatic, more so than anybody ever in the entire pool world. But it was very frustrating to deal with all his eccentricities and addictions. He (and Holly) actually lived with me and my young daughter in Venice, CA for a couple of months some time after this trip to Austin. He may have played pool once or twice in all that time, as he was fighting to overcome his alcohol dependency. I would not let him leave the house without me since there was a liquor store a block down the street. He used to wait until we were all asleep and sneak out the bedroom window and go there to buy some beer. I could never win the battle to reform him in any way.

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Support books

I ordered the book too.

I have a woman that played professional pool that I know pretty well. She said the Louie Roberts was the best looking guy ever.

I guess I am not the best judge, but based on that Louie could have been a real ladies man.

I havent heard much about that.

Ken

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I ordered the book too.

I have a woman that played professional pool that I know pretty well. She said the Louie Roberts was the best looking guy ever.

I guess I am not the best judge, but based on that Louie could have been a real ladies man.

I havent heard much about that.

Ken

He was! And the girls all loved him. He was handsome (in an Elvis like way), cute and charming. Louie was raised well and was polite in all situations, even if he got a bad call or lost his money. He might cry about it a little but he never got mad. He just shrugged off losses with a self deprecating grin and a laugh or two. Like I said, Louie had CHARISMA with a capital C!

He could sing like Elvis too. In fact he could do better impersonations of Elvis then anyone else I ever saw on TV or the stage. He had all his moves down pat and could warble in a pretty good likeness of Elvis' voice.

Louie was also a standout athlete, winning the state championship in the Pole Vault in high school. He was a champion diver too I believe. He could do anything he set his mind too. He had Keith's type of funny spontaneity, throwing out funny lines that made everyone smile. My favorite was the time he was on ESPN playing against Brian Hashimoto in the semifinals of the Caesars Tahoe event. Louie was at the table for the first time and the cameras were trained on him. He stopped and looked right up at the camera, smiled and said, "Don't worry mom. I'll be home to cut the grass as soon as this is over!" Now who thinks of stuff like that? :smile:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
St. Louie Louie

It is a must read, I knew Louie when I was a young shaver, to this day I have never seen a more colorful pocket billiard player period. Also have competed against some of the players in the Mark's book. There will never be another "St. Louie Louie".

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Love

Still reading it and look forward to every chapter.

The stories are all great and really brings me back to 1994-2010 where I was in my local room every day.
I loved the Chspter with Bucky Bell because we had a guy in our room always talking about him.
I never thought much of it and then his name pops up in this book.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I tried to buy it $23 with free shipping @ Amazon...after the additional charges, about $45... I will wait for the movie...

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I tried to buy it $23 with free shipping @ Amazon...after the additional charges, about $45... I will wait for the movie...

If you're a prime member, I don't know why it's that high...unless you're looking at another seller.

I brought it a week or so ago with Amazon as the seller for $29.95 plus tax, or $32.42 delivered to my door. Right now, it's going for $1.97 less due to their on-again off-again discounts.

Klink

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"St. Louie Louie" Roberts Book

It was included in Kindle Unlimited So I got it for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nature Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sure wish your second book was abailable on there. I have the first one, and love it.