Best Pool-Related Deal Ever

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Curious to know what is the best pool-related deal that you ever got.

Or the best deal you are aware of someone else getting.

For me, it was a Rambow cue with an incredible condition accompanying Brunswick case from the early 1940's (fishing-rod holder style).

Believe it or not, it was on eBay but the guy who listed it, the orig owners grandson, did a very poor marketing job.

A single grainy cell phone picture with the cue sitting on a black chair, barely able to make out what it was. The cue looked like it had a duct tape wrap. That ended up being an extremely unusual pearlescent wrap. What got my interest was that I saw what looked like it might be a pearl rectangle in the butt and so I contacted the seller to inquire further. Remember, the pic was grainy and vague.

He told me it was his grandfather's cue and that he was friends with both Mosconi and Fats. In fact, he said his grandmother had a picture with his granddad and those two all sitting on his couch at his home in PA. And that his granddad was a good player who regularly played against Crane and some other big names of that era.

I asked about the rectangle I thought I saw in the buttsleeve and he confirmed it was pearl with his grandfathers name in it.

He had it listed cheap and it never got a single bid.

I quickly negotiated a deal and was over the moon when it arrived. I feel very lucky to have stumbled on this great cue and case.

It's still hard to reconcile how someone would ever want to sell off what I would consider a family heir loom.

So what was your great pool related deal?

best,
brian kc

Attachments

• Brunswick-carom-king-forearm-2.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-forearm-2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,276
  • Brunswick-carom-king-sticker.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-sticker.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 1,262
  • Brunswick-carom-king-nameplate.jpg
    Brunswick-carom-king-nameplate.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,285
  • 1942-Brunswick-case-top-close.jpg
    1942-Brunswick-case-top-close.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,266
Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have certainly been hooked up by folks in the pool world- mostly AZB :bow-down:- but I am not going to out those one-off deals.

The best deal out there? Pooldawg8's milk dud tips.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I got a Carom King myself for $30. One piece and all original.

I also found a dusty box of miscellaneous Brunswick antiques including an ivory cue ball at a flea market for $40.

Not as cool as yours by any means but killer deals all the same.

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have what appears to be a Hair on Cow Ron Thomas 2x4 case coming in. I picked it up on an auction site and sniped it at the last minute. I've seen them go anywhere from 500-800, so I hope it's the real deal.

Here's my short list of past pool deals:
-Mcdermott Mac case for dirt cheap on craigslist.
-Fellini style George case with a "calzone" style pouch.
-Scruggs sneaky from craigslist bought it cheap compared to what they go for these days.
-Picked up a bundle of cues (couple old schons and a joss) in a Porper case for a fair price. Again from craigslist.

I'm sure I'll think of some others.

Kobachi

Scarred but Smarter
-Titlist for a buck at a garage sale.

-Rambow w/2 shafts and orig case for helping a buddy move furniture into his garage (hoarder, had the case on a shelf, when I asked he said, "it's yours".) I told him what it was and he said "lucky you, I was going to throw it away". yeah right, hoarders never throw anything away :wink:

- (this spot reserved for the Spain I know I will find one day :p)

…..

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Over the years quite a few. I got a Gold Crown 2 for free. He had hired me to take it apart and move it to a storage unit.. As I was working he said why don't you just take it and we call it even. He was going to pay me $300.00 to move it.

I guess he figured why bother just give it away rather then invest money in moving a table he didn't want anyway. Then he would have to move it again or try to sell it in the future. It was funny, the new home owner didn't want it for nothing, they wanted it out of there.

I once went to look at a table to buy and when I got there it was not much of a table so I was not interested. I saw three Brunswick cases and when I opened them there was three Willie Hoppe cues in perfect condition.

I told the lady I was not interested in the table but would giver her $75.00 for the cues and she took it. Now don't think I was a thief, this was a long time ago. They were only worth maybe a $150.00 at the time. I did some years later though get a good price for them at the BCA show.

My all time best was when pool was at it's lowest point. I bought out a bowling alley pool room. They were going to turn it into a meeting room and wanted everything out quick. I bought 8 Gold Crowns, cues, those Brunswick chair sets and wall cue racks.

The whole deal for $2000.00 with the agreement I get everything out as quickly as possible. As it turned out it took me a while to get rid of the tables. Like I said, pool was in a pretty sad state at the time.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best pool find was a garage sale in 1997 right down the street from my house--divorce situation with the older son and husband long gone. My ten year old told me to go down to the sale as he went on his bike and saw they had "pool stuff" there. I said no it was probably junk, but decided to go down anyhow -- found a Palmer cue in almost new condition, a billiard chair and cue rack - total value of all about $1600 -- paid $30. Later sold the Palmer at SBE and I still have the billiard chair and cue rack in my own home billiard room -- I never knew that those folks had a billiard room in their home as I never met the husband or son. I have many more stories as I have been a pool player since 1963 and also an avid garage sale guy for the past 20 years.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
One of my Schons seemed to show up at a later date on the Schon site. Seems to be an exact match. Don't know if it is still available or not.

It was listed at approx $800, if I remember. I didn't pay anywhere close to that.

I got a 2x4 and a 1x2 GTF case from Deano. Brand new and no where close to asking prices.

And of course, I got a free autographed photo from Danny the Delicious Kid with my name on it. Compliments of Brian the Kicker. Brian had to work on Danny for that one.

I won a box of Brunswick KU bumpers on Ebay for a decent price. Sorry, none for sale at the moment.

Other than that, still looking for Titlists or what ever in the basement kinda thing.

str8shtr

Registered
Best deal ever

I was lucky enough to pick up a Gus Szamboti. It was close to 20 years ago around Christmas and a buddy of mine was short on cash. I made an offer, he jumped, done deal. 900. Bucks and I'll never get rid of it. It's my player and I absolutely love it. Got the Fellini tube case with it sweet!

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
$185 for the Joss, $325 for the Scruggs.

But, timing and longevity is everything. I ordered them when most AZers were still sucking fudgecycles on mommy's lap.

Attachments

• DSCN0371.jpg
    DSCN0371.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 1,012
  • DSCN0377.jpg
    DSCN0377.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,003
  • DSCN0328.jpg
    DSCN0328.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,016
  • DSCN0329.jpg
    DSCN0329.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,009

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Free pool at a local bar with 8 Valley barboxes.

Our community center is undergoing renovation so we needed to find a new place to play. It was quite a shock since we'd never paid to play. Found this place and made some new friends, etc.

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
Your Buddy was short on cash at Christmas time, and you jizzed him for his Szam.
Is he still your Buddy? Just teasing ya.

But then, 20 years ago, $900 wasn't so much a deal as it would be today.

$900 at that time would be what these days. 3 to 4 times the amount.

If you had $900 disposable cash, you were probably rich.

What would a Szam have gone for at that time?

Last edited:

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Got a Brunswick player chair with brass step for $100 those go for $1000 new.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best deal I ever got was a brand new set of slates for my Schmidt table. I bought the table used from a local antique table restorer, but the slate seams kept popping. Between the company and the guy I bought it from, they finally decided the slates were defective. Kurt Schmidt agreed to send me a new set of a Brazilian slates for free, and the restorer installed them for free.

He wanted to know if I could remove the rails and cloth for him before he got here. It was the first time I ever worked on a table, so I was glad to. When he got here I helped with everything and really learned a lot. Like how heavy slate is. When we were done I asked him what he was going to do with the old slates, and he said I was welcome to them or he would take them back to his shop, whichever I wanted. They're sitting in my barn now.

He also brought along a real nice set of antique scoring beads, the good ones with the big beads and heavy wire. They were grungy looking from decades in some smoky pool ball somewhere, but they looked like they would clean up nice. I asked him how much he wanted for them and he said to just take them, but he wouldn't mind it if I gave him $20 for gas.

Gladly. ;)

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
$185 for the Joss, $325 for the Scruggs.

But, timing and longevity is everything. I ordered them when most AZers were still sucking fudgecycles on mommy's lap.

If you'd care to part with that Joss, EVER, PM me please. I'll even throw in a case of fudgescicles

Last edited: