Posting pics on forum -- EASY directions

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yo everyone,

I've read from others and experienced certain problems and issues myself regarding the inability to get a picture posted in a thread (whether using the forum's upload file method or using a photo hosting site and posting the code in text).

The easiest and free method to me has been using Imgur...you just have to make account with user name/password (for the last 10+ years, I previously used tinypic.com because it required no login, but it was recently shut down).

Uploading a photo(s) to Imgur is as easy as any other file select (and there is some minor photo editing you can do on the site if needed), but the best part is how easy it is to post and change the size of your pictures on forums.

1) Click on a picture that you have uploaded to your Imgur account that you want to post on a forum, and the menu shown below will open up

2) Go to the very bottom-right and select the Size of the thumbnail ** circled in green

3) Lastly, in the BBCode (message boards & forums) section circled in red and hit the blue Copy button...then go to your post/replay and you just need to Ctrl+V or right-click and hit paste in your text and it will automatically insert the needed coding

[COLOR="darkslategray"][I]**use the 'preview post' button on forum to see what the pic size will look like before posting...then if too big/too small, you just go back and click a new size and hit Copy button again and paste in the new text[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/G3e4WqOh.png

Just posting in case this helps anybody out that has ran into frustrations with this topic.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Cool. Thanks for the tutorial.

I take a screenshot (recognize this one?), then add it using the Manage Attachments button. Haven't figured out how to control the size.

Attachments

• 20200216_163321.jpg
    20200216_163321.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 301

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I don't recommend those third party photo apps. All you have to do is look at some of the old cue forums here, the historical cues, the early Joss cue forums, and others. Most photos are either gone or blurry with those third party apps.

Take the picture, save to your computer, size to large document, and upload it with the instructions at the bottom when you post. Your pictures won't disappear, unlike those third party photo apps.

All the best,
WW

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Many must not realize You can do it right here on you azb profile
Give you the code for copy n paste a forum size pic

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have trouble quoting images. Either quoted attachment tags don't work or there's some kind of latency somewhere. So far I have to grab the image and re-upload and post it.
Also, this forum doesn't allow video embedding?

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I find that thing I find difficult to do on line the best solution for me is, ask for help by some kids over 10, and under 16. Between those ages they still have the ability to SPLAIN the fix, or solution.

Young people grew up using computers, I grew up with pencil, paper, and 3 X 5 cards, and box to file the cards in.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I find that thing I find difficult to do on line the best solution for me is, ask for help by some kids over 10, and under 16. Between those ages they still have the ability to SPLAIN the fix, or solution.

Young people grew up using computers, I grew up with pencil, paper, and 3 X 5 cards, and box to file the cards in.

I grew up with the slide rule. Remember the C and D scales?

Yet, I can post a picture here, and it will stay.

All the best,
WW

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I don't recommend those third party photo apps. All you have to do is look at some of the old cue forums here, the historical cues, the early Joss cue forums, and others. Most photos are either gone or blurry with those third party apps.

Take the picture, save to your computer, size to large document, and upload it with the instructions at the bottom when you post. Your pictures won't disappear, unlike those third party photo apps.

All the best,
WW

This is exactly right and has been covered here many times. Do not under any circumstance use a damn third party hosting site. It is just a matter of time until they either go out of business and all those pictures disappear, or they decide to change to a pay business model where they proceed to remove or blur out your pictures and hold them hostage until and unless you pay for the privilege of getting them back.

Browse through these threads if you want a few examples of what happens when you use 3rd party hosting. It's pretty much a matter or when, not if, and there is no excuse for it and it doesn't need to happen. Upload your photos directly to AzBilliards and this won't happen.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=4977883
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=93024
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=421609
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=110237
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=148291

Here are a couple of threads that give instructions for a number of different ways to directly upload your photos to AzBilliards properly. It isn't difficult.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showpost.php?p=6061299&postcount=5
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=472119
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?p=6467690
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=498898

I know the OP meant well but the use of 3rd party picture hosting sites on AzBilliards should be banned, and in the mean time I wish a nasty case a flesh eating bacteria to the nether regions of anybody that chooses to do it. :thumbup:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... The easiest and free method to me has been using Imgur.......
If you don't care whether your sales images disappear that may be a good way. If you are posting to a discussion or something of historical interest, it's a really, really bad way as others have pointed out.

An example of this are some pictures of collectible pool balls in that thread. A naive newby used a third-party image site. All gone now. Down the drain. Kaput. Vaporized into the aether.

If you have nice images to show the rest of us, please do not use third party hosting sites. Grab the image as best you can and upload it by the attachment tool.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
If you don't care whether your sales images disappear that may be a good way. If you are posting to a discussion or something of historical interest, it's a really, really bad way as others have pointed out.

An example of this are some pictures of collectible pool balls in that thread. A naive newby used a third-party image site. All gone now. Down the drain. Kaput. Vaporized into the aether.

If you have nice images to show the rest of us, please do not use third party hosting sites. Grab the image as best you can and upload it by the attachment tool.

Agree, and why I advised against Photobucket, Imgur, and what have you. Use the picture downloading here, with quote or reply, not quick reply.

Otherwise, your pictures will not survive. You will be, a stuck leaf, in the downspout of life. A missed exit, on the beltway of life. A piece of sludge, in the crankcase of life.
A ragged claw, scuttling along the floor of a silent sea. I don't think that's on the reading list of too many here. But,

In other words, stop using those bullshit photo aps. Period.

All the best,
WW

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have all my photos saved on my computer(s), so I don't lose anything if the third-party site goes away...I've just never had good luck uploading pics here--> 90% of the time it has an error when trying to upload.

Do whatever you want.

Cadillac J

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upload your photos directly to AzBilliards and this won't happen.

I know the OP meant well but the use of 3rd party picture hosting sites on AzBilliards should be banned, and in the mean time I wish a nasty case a flesh eating bacteria to the nether regions of anybody that chooses to do it. :thumbup:

Chill the phuck out.

This is what I get when trying to upload on this forum -- hence, why I use Imgur instead.

If anyone can show me how to get around this error, maybe I'd actually use the forum upload option.

fg6NaNWh.jpg

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... If anyone can show me how to get around this error, maybe I'd actually use the forum upload option....
I use a tool called "Cropper" to grab an image from my screen. First I make the image the size I want on my screen. This allows me to avoid an actual photo editor. I place and stretch the Cropper frame to the view I want and hit Enter over the frame. The image file is in the folder "Cropper Captures".

I then use the attachment tool in the (advanced) posting editor. Since I nearly always use images in "Cropper Captures", the attachment tool pops up that folder normally. I have "recent on top" set for the folder listing, do I just select the top image file.

I find that the upload size is somewhat flexible and the file size is often reduced in the uploading process.

Cropper is free.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
I have all my photos saved on my computer(s), so I don't lose anything if the third-party site goes away...
It's not about you losing the pictures, it's about the forum losing the pictures. When Imgur (or whatever other 3rd party pic host is used) goes out of business, or decides to change to a pay model and hold all those photos hostage because they haven't gotten paid, those photos are gone from the forum forever. Nobody cares whether they are still on your computer or not because that doesn't change a thing about what happened to them on the forum, the only place where we would be able to see them.

Chill the phuck out.

This is what I get when trying to upload on this forum -- hence, why I use Imgur instead.

If anyone can show me how to get around this error, maybe I'd actually use the forum upload option.

I had already provided 4 different threads that gave a number of different ways to upload photos to AzBilliards that would get around that error. You obviously didn't bother to look through them.

Pierre Shakes

Registered
Agree, and why I advised against Photobucket, Imgur, and what have you. Use the picture downloading here, with quote or reply, not quick reply.

Otherwise, your pictures will not survive. You will be, a stuck leaf, in the downspout of life. A missed exit, on the beltway of life. A piece of sludge, in the crankcase of life.
A ragged claw, scuttling along the floor of a silent sea. I don't think that's on the reading list of too many here. But,

In other words, stop using those bullshit photo aps. Period.

All the best,
WW
TS Eliot !