need a new racking rule

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching a major tournament and Darren Appleton was using a magic rack.
He re racked 7 times!
If you have to re rack 7 times with a magic rack then the magic rack should be changed out.
Thats how you get rid of the casual viewer.
Pool needs to move at a brisk pace to attract new viewers.
Also taking 10 strokes to break the balls.
A pro should take a couple strokes and fire.
A rule of 2 re racks would be helpful.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He re racked 7 times!
If you have to re rack 7 times with a magic rack then the magic rack should be changed out.
The Outsville rack that DCC uses works fine. https://outsville.com/collections/accu-rack-racking-templates Watched quite a few matches using this and they just set 'em and hit 'em.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TV snooker is very successful drawing viewers. Go to school on how they do it. Stealing ideas is a good idea :)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He re racked 7 times!
Accu-racks by Outsville are far superior to magic or turtle racks in terms of not only ease of racking the balls and getting them tight, but also in how long the templates will last until they get too worn out/bent up to keep using, due to the difference in material being used. We have all three here which we have used for our weekly tournaments, so believe me I know, as none of them are cheap! The one key you have to remember with the Accu racks, is that once the balls are set in place, sometimes you have to very gently push the back five balls up just a smidgen (in a 9 ball rack) to freeze all the balls.

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
TV snooker is very successful drawing viewers. Go to school on how they do it. Stealing ideas is a good idea :)
They always play safe, I've noticed. It is true that they don't seem to care much about the rack but maybe they should.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think slow play is the biggest turn off by far of televised fans, even for super fans like us. Every single streamed match should have a 30sec shot clock imo.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the indentations wear out eventually, it's the rubbish bin then. you can get a little longer lifespan by laying the template in the opposite direction, but for a tourney i see no reason not to use new ones. they're dirt cheap anyway

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
The Outsville rack that DCC uses works fine. https://outsville.com/collections/accu-rack-racking-templates Watched quite a few matches using this and they just set 'em and hit 'em.

I was watching a Youtube match between SVB and Chang Jung-Lin in the 2016 U.S. Open Finals match....breaker racks his own. They were using the Outsville rack. Chang kept re-racking several or more times on every time it was his break. At one point, Shane brought him over a different (new?) template and Chang refused to use it. Somewhere near the end of the match Ken Shuman left and came back with three new racks and Chang still stuck with the one he kept having trouble with.

I began to wonder if Chang was doing that to create slow play to try and throw SVB off of his game (except he even did it on the opening rack :confused:).

My point being....even the Outsville rack is not infallible. But my opinion, like yours, is that it is the best template out there to date.

Maniac

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I think slow play is the biggest turn off by far of televised fans, even for super fans like us. Every single streamed match should have a 30sec shot clock imo.

for me , when they gotta push and roll the balls in the rack more than 3 times i bail

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a magic rack for years. Couldn't get consistent results.

Until a friend pointed out that there is a head spot on the dang thing (and a right side up which I already knew).

SMH

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It would be more entertaining if a member of the audience was chosen to come down and rack the balls, then the breaker had to take whatever shape the rack was in.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
He re racked 7 times!

I dont remember his name (Im sure most of you guys know who I am talking about) but I watched 1 pro take 73 practice strokes on one break. :yikes::yikes::yikes: He stroked the cue so many times that I had to go back and count exactly how many it was.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member

I completely agree. With a fast shot clock like that they could even give 2 extensions per rack, 1- 30 second and 1- 15 second extension. It seems like a lot of times when they do use an extension that they pull the trigger 10-15 seconds into a 45 second extension.

ChrisSjoblom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I dont remember his name (Im sure most of you guys know who I am talking about) but I watched 1 pro take 73 practice strokes on one break. :yikes::yikes::yikes: He stroked the cue so many times that I had to go back and count exactly how many it was.

With that many strokes I'm surprised his stick didn't suddenly quiver then go limp!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Only chance American pool has to "take off" is promote crowd interaction atmosphere (Mosconi Cup). The players would have to suck it up and play through it, but you gotta pick your poison.

Keep the shot clocks the length they are and allow the time for the players to engage the spectators.

Pool equates to UK darts more than snooker. Embrace it....

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm all for shot clocks but please, do away with those irritating clocks that sound like a submarine sonar on steroids during the last five seconds of the countdown.

I'm really digging the new way being phased in where when the shot clock runs down to zero, the extension is given automatically with the only sound being the referee telling the shooter that his/her extension has been used. Even then, on the first countdown, the referee won't call/give the shooters the extension if he/she is already down on the shot.

Problem is, to be done right it has to be a refereed match.

Maniac

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had a magic rack for years. Couldn't get consistent results.

Until a friend pointed out that there is a head spot on the dang thing (and a right side up which I already knew).

SMH
Magic racks and turtle racks work great as long as it’s a virtually new set of quality balls that are all the same size. Even good quality balls, once they have a number of years of wear on them do not freeze together easily with a magic rack or a turtle rack. With the Outsville Accu rack, you can get a tight rack out of any set of balls.