Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Inspired By The "What Youngsters Want Old Masters Cues?" Thread...

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Inspired By The "What Youngsters Want Old Masters Cues?" Thread...
Old
  (#1)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Inspired By The "What Youngsters Want Old Masters Cues?" Thread... - 11-07-2018, 08:54 AM

By no means am I a youngster or even remotely close but when reading the above titled thread recently I got to thinking about the old masters and collecting.

I managed to acquire a fair number of very interesting cues over the years and have always been intrigued by the work of these "old masters". I thoroughly enjoy playing with a wide cross-section of cues appreciating the nuance and varying characteristics these cues have to offer. Some you can almost tell blindfolded who made them like so many of us 'oldsters' could tell the sound of a Mopar slant-six engine coming up on us without ever having to see it, sounding like an old Singer treadle sewing machine.

So, mixed into my collection are a couple of nice Bushkas, one representing GB's very early work (late 50's or very early 60's) with a titlist front and a very appealing (at least to me) swirly green plastic adorned and colorfully veneered buttsleeve. The other Bushka is an ebony ultra classic with the obligatory MOP notched diamonds and dots. What a sweet cue!

Back to the purpose of this thread:

While reading the "Youngsters/Masters" thread I was thinking a lot about how impressed I've always been over the amazing quality achieved by the true masters and George and Gus in particular. The hit, playability and craftsmanship on many of their cues are nothing short of amazing. At the same time this thread was running there happened to be a monster Bushka for sale and I couldn't help but to think how nice this would be to have as my new bar player. j/k Long story slightly shorter, I took the Nestea plunge and couldn't be happier. This is a true collection centerpiece quality cue. Thanks Ken for making our transaction such a pleasure and thanks skins for getting me thinking about it.

To all of you "youngsters" out there, I know these master cues can be very expensive to own but I sincerely hope that at least there's an appreciation for what they are and how incredibly ahead of their time these guys were. It's astonishing to me. If you get a chance to hit a few balls with one, please do. Of course, I know you can play high level pool with a $300 production cue but there really is something magical about these.

If you ever run into me and I have one with me and you're under 35, I'll let you hit a few with mine.

best,
brian kc
Attached Images

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#2)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 08:55 AM

a few pics of the other two mentioned.....
Attached Images

Last edited by Kickin' Chicken; 11-07-2018 at 09:00 AM.

Old
  (#3)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-07-2018, 09:08 AM

Id like to hit with the Titlist GB, Brian
...hey, Im under 35 stone

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#4)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 10:06 AM

Wanted to buy that top cue so bad. Keeping the cash was the smarter play.....I think
Jason

Old
  (#5)
TEAM SLO
AzB Silver Member
TEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 10:32 AM

Beautiful.... one day I will be able to get my son a special cue from back in the day.

Add me and my son Jin on Fb
Jin's Sponsors and friends: Coached by-SammDiep
Stapleton Billiards
JPechauer Custom Cues
Kamui Brand
3Seconds Cue Case
Player Rep for Brutal Game Gear
Shane Van Boening vs My 7 year old

Old
  (#6)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado

11-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
Wanted to buy that top cue so bad. Keeping the cash was the smarter play.....I think
Jason
she had me at glitter bands...

Old
  (#7)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickin' Chicken View Post
she had me at glitter bands...
Yep.... Love me some glitter bands..lol

Great choice Brian! Congrats!

Design is a fingerprint of the mind....

Old
  (#8)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

11-07-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM SLO View Post
Beautiful.... one day I will be able to get my son a special cue from back in the day.
Back in the day for Jin would be my 10 year old Lucasi.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#9)
TEAM SLO
AzB Silver Member
TEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond reputeTEAM SLO has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measureman View Post
Back in the day for Jin would be my 10 year old Lucasi.
Hahaha yeah that is true too

Add me and my son Jin on Fb
Jin's Sponsors and friends: Coached by-SammDiep
Stapleton Billiards
JPechauer Custom Cues
Kamui Brand
3Seconds Cue Case
Player Rep for Brutal Game Gear
Shane Van Boening vs My 7 year old

Old
  (#10)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 02:47 PM

That newer Bushka is incredible. One of the more fancy.

Minus the MOP dots in the points, it is close to the spitting image of Mosconi's backup Bushka, that he never used, according to both Willie and Charlie Ursitti.

The dimensions of the points suggest a Spaiin blank. And, strange as well. That outer green is way thinner than the others, and seems to be surrounded by very thin separate black veneers. Also, looks like this cue has had a restoration at some point. Hope it was Pete?

All in all, a very unusual cue. And a beautiful cue at that.

All the best,
WW

Old
  (#11)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 04:02 PM

DID YOU GET ALL OF THE SHAFTS THAT WERE LISTED WITH IT

THEY WERE NOT NECESSARY BUT THEY ADDED TO IT

tHIS fANCY bALABUSHKA IS ONE OF THE VERY NICEST

Old
  (#12)
skins
Likes to draw
skins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond reputeskins has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
That newer Bushka is incredible. One of the more fancy.

Minus the MOP dots in the points, it is close to the spitting image of Mosconi's backup Bushka, that he never used, according to both Willie and Charlie Ursitti.

The dimensions of the points suggest a Spaiin blank. And, strange as well. That outer green is way thinner than the others, and seems to be surrounded by very thin separate black veneers. Also, looks like this cue has had a restoration at some point. Hope it was Pete?

All in all, a very unusual cue. And a beautiful cue at that.

All the best,
WW
The green veneer is the same size. Just the glue saturation at the edges that discolored the edges. I've seen that before.

Old
  (#13)
WildWing
AzB Silver Member
WildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond reputeWildWing has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins View Post
The green veneer is the same size. Just the glue saturation at the edges that discolored the edges. I've seen that before.
Glue saturation, very even, but only on the outer veneer? Not the inner veneers?

All the best,
H

Old
  (#14)
skins
Likes to draw

11-07-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWing View Post
Glue saturation, very even, but only on the outer veneer? Not the inner veneers?

All the best,
H
Yep............

I guess it's possible it could be the veneer itself that has deeper dye on the edges....

Last edited by skins; 11-07-2018 at 06:27 PM.

Old
  (#15)
Sealegs50
AzB Silver Member
Sealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 09:44 AM

Wow! Congratulations!

I am under 2 x 35 and have never played with a Balabushka before. Can I play with it twice?

Last edited by Sealegs50; 11-08-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: