Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page My Simonis cloth plays extremely slow? Help or Advice Appreciated
Page 3 of 4 123 4

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-08-2018, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Jack! Good to hear from ya!

I think that close-up photos can be deceiving, as I still believe that the OP's cloth is upside-down. And here is why:

The OP's cloth has been installed for a year, so most of the fuzziness would have been worn away by now. Also keep in mind, the OP's cloth is currently installed, so it is under tension. If you look at the first picture that he showed, you can see a well defined thread weave pattern in his cloth. It looks like straight channels in the cloth. Simonis only looks like that from the backside. When installed correctly, you have to look very carefully to see the weave, as the surface is quite smooth. The surface of the OP's cloth does not look as smooth as it should. Hence the comments about the "blue jean table".

I could be wrong, but that's my take anyway.. Reminds me of the first Gold Crown that I ever bought.. That had Simonis Green 860 installed upside-down. It was a turd.
Yep, and it would have shed little nap balls.

Old
  (#32)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
Jack! Good to hear from ya!

I think that close-up photos can be deceiving, as I still believe that the OP's cloth is upside-down. And here is why:

The OP's cloth has been installed for a year, so most of the fuzziness would have been worn away by now. Also keep in mind, the OP's cloth is currently installed, so it is under tension. If you look at the first picture that he showed, you can see a well defined thread weave pattern in his cloth. It looks like straight channels in the cloth. Simonis only looks like that from the backside. When installed correctly, you have to look very carefully to see the weave, as the surface is quite smooth. The surface of the OP's cloth does not look as smooth as it should. Hence the comments about the "blue jean table".

I could be wrong, but that's my take anyway.. Reminds me of the first Gold Crown that I ever bought.. That had Simonis Green 860 installed upside-down. It was a turd.
After re-reading the original post, if it's been roughly a year since being installed, I think it's a little late for the client to expect the installer to reimburse for anything other than perhaps the free labor to flip the cloth over,
if it is indeed confirmed to have been installed upside down.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 11-08-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Old
  (#33)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
After re-reading the original post, if it's been roughly a year since being installed, I think it's a little late for the client to expect the installer to reimburse for anything other than perhaps the free labor to flip the cloth over, if it is indeed confirmed to have been installed upside down.
UH, yeah. Way too late.

Old
  (#34)
PoolBoy1
AzB Silver Member
PoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond reputePoolBoy1 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 12:03 PM

install a dehumidifier, my son had the same problem with his cloth and voila. This has been an exceptionally year for humidity.

Old
  (#35)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

11-09-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
After re-reading the original post, if it's been roughly a year since being installed, I think it's a little late for the client to expect the installer to reimburse for anything other than perhaps the free labor to flip the cloth over,
if it is indeed confirmed to have been installed upside down.
Why, is there a statute of limitations on incompetence? He should re-do the job, with new cloth, and do it quickly. This is down right embarrassing for a professional to get this wrong.

It was his fault and he should make it right, whether or not it was 1 day or 1 year.

We welcome Dennis Hatch to TZAR Tips

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Old
  (#36)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

11-09-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Why, is there a statute of limitations on incompetence? He should re-do the job, with new cloth, and do it quickly. This is down right embarrassing for a professional to get this wrong.

It was his fault and he should make it right, whether or not it was 1 day or 1 year.
There shouldn't be.
And that mech should jump on the opportunity to make a friend by redoing his own work and helping his customer .
And he should jump on it so he'd learn and be better at his trade .
It's not like it's going to take him weeks in fixing that table .
It'll take him one off night .

Old
  (#37)
jtothea
AzB Bronze Member
jtothea is on a distinguished road

11-09-2018, 08:56 PM

Sorry I haven't commented back in a couple of days as I've been busy with work.

I understand completely that its been a year and am not at all looking for any reimbursement nor do I want to publicly bash the installers as they were professional and courteous during the install. If it is upside down (could've possibly just been human error?), I would have someone reinstall it correctly, if its installed correctly, I'm not sure what I will do. I have indeed tried to cut some excess cloth from underneath the table or around the pockets but the installers did such a neat trim job around with a razor that there is hardly any excess. Sorry for the poor quality, I will try to snap a couple of better photos. Thank you everyone for the responses. I will almost be relieved if its upside down as I can have someone just flip it and solve the problem.

Old
  (#38)
jtothea
AzB Bronze Member

11-09-2018, 09:20 PM

here are some updated photos that may be better, one has the flash on so it looks bluer. If its installed correct, i just don't want to invest money in a new cloth if I'm going to get the same results. I've also noticed that this cloth feels (when you physically run your hand on it) starched or stiff (kind of like when you buy a new dress shirt) whereas other tables feel more delicate silky and smooth, I've just assumed that it felt like that because it was new and lightly played on?
Attached Images

Old
  (#39)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-09-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothea View Post
here are some updated photos that may be better, one has the flash on so it looks bluer. If its installed correct, i just don't want to invest money in a new cloth if I'm going to get the same results. I've also noticed that this cloth feels (when you physically run your hand on it) starched or stiff (kind of like when you buy a new dress shirt) whereas other tables feel more delicate silky and smooth, I've just assumed that it felt like that because it was new and lightly played on?
I'll be damned if half your pictures look right and half don't. Maybe it was installed only halfway upside down!

CUES:Schon, Webb
HOURS OF POOL: 10 in a good week

Old
  (#40)
jtothea
AzB Bronze Member

11-09-2018, 10:03 PM

lol I'm telling you its crazy

Old
  (#41)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2018, 06:09 AM

Based on your latest photos, particularly the one looking down on the corner pocket with the 10-ball in the pocket, it looks to me like it was installed with the correct side up. To confirm, did you
not see any Iwan Simonis stamps on the underside of any of the rails cloths? Just my first observation - the clean and neat tuck and staple job shown around this corner pocket sure looks like
an experienced professional table mechanic / installer job to me.

Also, when you stated in your original post that your table plays slower than your Dad's table with newly covered worsted cloth of a different manufacturer, keep in mind there are plenty of faster
playing worsted cloths out there than Simonis 860, such as Gorina/Granito 2000 and Andy Pro cloth, just to name a few.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 11-10-2018 at 06:25 AM. Reason: edit

Old
  (#42)
Cardigan Kid
AzB Silver Member
Cardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond reputeCardigan Kid has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothea View Post
Second photo down, looks like you can see the nap on the inside of the pocket shelf....was the whole table like this when it was freshly installed?
Simonis should feel slick and smooth when brand new....zero nap.

Also of brandsh98 and realkingcobra are telling you the same thing, odds are pretty good it is true.

You might want to contact the installer just to let him know in case he's done any other tables in the past year. He might have a few calls to make.

Old
  (#43)
Sealegs50
AzB Silver Member
Sealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond reputeSealegs50 has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Based on your latest photos, particularly the one looking down on the corner pocket with the 10-ball in the pocket, it looks to me like it was installed with the correct side up.
The cloth under the rail and half a ball width from the rail into the playing surface should look like the original installation.

That picture with the 10-ball has me a bit puzzled as to what we are looking at. Some cloth looks worn and some of it looks new. But the newer looking cloth looks to be bigger than the 10-ball and seems to run halfway into the arc of the pocket. .

Old
  (#44)
jtothea
AzB Bronze Member

11-10-2018, 08:37 AM

The pic where the cloth looks blue my flash was on. The top pic was very closeup under my light in the center of table. Iíll try to snap a couple more this afternoon.

Old
  (#45)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

11-10-2018, 09:04 AM

Two experts have told you to shine a black light on it and see if you can read the serial number on the cloth. This is what you need to do if you want to stop the merry go round of speculation of whether it's installed right side up.

If you want to know if it's just installed too loosely push down on it with your fingers out in the "kitchen" and pull it toward you and try to pull a wrinkle into it out there on the bed. If you are able to do this then it's too loose and you can probably just take the rails off and restretch it.

If all else fails you can take off the hideous colored cloth and replace it with something else.

JC

John Chaplin

http://www.cooscues.com
jchaplin@charter.net

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Page 3 of 4 123 4

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: