Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Neutral racker, every tourney, period
Page 3 of 3 123

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-08-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick B View Post
Example of good racks:
1. All nine balls but be at least touching one ball
2. Not more than one ball cannot be touching all it's neighbors
3. Rack must be as straight as possible and middle of the spot
Two problems I see immediately:

#2 allows the 1 ball to be touching only one of its neighbors.

#3 is a problem if the crater at the spot is up-table from the actual spot. On such a table you have to either pound a new crater in the right place with a new sticker or you have to move the rack up.

#2 is actually written wrong. If the one ball is not touching the six ball, its neighbor, then the six is also not touching the one ball. Perhaps you meant to say something like: All gaps between balls must be around a single ball. Or maybe: There may be only one gap between balls in the whole rack.

In fact "there may be only one gap between balls" can always be achieved in a nine ball rack even if the balls are not all the same size. It is not easy to achieve on a table with pitted cloth and mismatched balls, but it is possible.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#32)
Paul Schofield
AzB Gold Member
Paul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond reputePaul Schofield has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-08-2018, 01:05 PM

Again.......

It's so easy. Just get rid of the source of all the rack stressing. Problem solved.

Shoot what you break.

Larry Hubbart was 87.5% right.

Old
  (#33)
Luxury
AzB Silver Member
Luxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond reputeLuxury has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
  Send a message via Yahoo to Luxury  
11-08-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marek View Post
Like I said - for bigger tournaments a table tapping template is the best by far. As the second best option for day to day use even on older cloth I recommend "Slug Doctor" system (you can check it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45EfZlnaRbE), I had it on my table for about 1 year, i got it as a freebie for testing It worked really nicely and it took about 6 months for the head spot to start to wear. It works perfectly as a racking template but it is much thinner (Magic rack is 0.14mm thick, Slug Doctor system is 0.06mm thick) so even slow rolled ball over the rack area is not influenced in any way. It just takes little more patience to rack in comparison with Magic Rack because of much less thickness of Slug Doctor. And yes, as the third best option I recommend any racking template thats not broken
Slug Doctor is where it's at. I use it on my table and my buddy begged me to do his table as well. Great invention.

Old
  (#34)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Schofield View Post
Again.......

It's so easy. Just get rid of the source of all the rack stressing. Problem solved.
Many many many people value the break shot as it is. They enjoy it, practice it, and want it to be a skillful shot.

Your solution solves the "disagreement" problem, but does not solve the general racking problem. A template does however. As long as people are ok with 9 ball being a runout contest. For me, I just learned how to rack well. I can make a pretty great well frozen rack on all but the very most horrible conditions. I think everyone has a responsibility to sportsmanship to learn the same. Too bad they don't.

KMRUNOUT

Old
  (#35)
KMRUNOUT
AzB Silver Member
KMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond reputeKMRUNOUT has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMRUNOUT View Post
I mean, on Zuglan's tour the rule is "don't make me come rack because you won't like it". That doesn't jump out at me as the perspective of a person who is concerned with making sure every gap is tight.
I would just like to correct this part. I've played on several of Mike Zuglan's tournaments, including Turning Stone a few times. I believe I may have mischaracterized his position on this issue. The rule for his tour is to rack for your opponent. You can certainly request a re-rack. Among the players I've played against, there seems to be a communal good will to mutually come together to get a good rack for the opponent. I've asked for a re-rack or two without issue, and I think once in all the tourneys I've played, someone asked me for a re-rack.

My personal preference is rack your own, because I believe it is quicker, and places the penalty for a bad rack on the racker.

But to be clear, Zuglan's position is that he doesn't want arguing about the rack. So my comment quoted above doesn't mean "don't have me come rack because you won't like my rack". It means "don't have me come get involved, because you may not like that outcome". Kind of like the Biblical quote about "its better to settle with your friend on the way to the courthouse then to turn over your situation to the authorities" haha! But really, Zuglan makes a very clear announcement at the players meeting about the policy, and why it is that way. His stance is that there is really no agreement or consensus about racking rules around the country or the world. Some do it this way, some do it that way, and next week, they do it a different way. His issue is that with all the changing and variety of formats, there is no consistency. And I will say that *consistency* is one of the number one top qualities about Zuglan and his tour. He wants to stick with a format, but is clear that he will go with whatever anyone wants, as long as there is consensus in the industry. At this time, that consensus doesn't exist, not even close. So he sticks with his way for now. I respect that a lot actually. He's not closed to change...he's closed to *constant* change and inconsistency. When you play in his tournaments, you know exactly what to expect with racking, every single time. Of all the tournaments I've played in, I enjoy his the most, especially Turning Stone. I have never in my life seen Mike rack the balls. He may be the best there is, or the worst. No idea. But in my opinion, he is addressing the "issue" from a slightly different angle, and I think it works well. I personally prefer consistency in things if at all possible. He delivers on that.

KMRUNOUT

Page 3 of 3 123

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: