Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page how are ya'll doing in league ?
Page 4 of 254 « First 234 561454104 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average.
Old
  (#46)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

12-20-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krupa View Post
Regarding APA patches, I think they either should stop giving them out when you reach a certain level or make more relevant patches for higher skilled players: The 4-pack patch for 9-ball or example.

If you stay at a lower SL, they should stop sending them after a while out as well.

I got a couple on-the-snap patches for 9-ball and I thought "well, hit 'em hard enough and don't scratch and it's bound to happen..." I would have liked to have received my first break-and-run patch only because it was my first 9-ball break-and-run ever. Unbeknownst to me, in my area the first patch was free (to get you hooked) and then they jacked up the price (to $1.) So I never paid my dollar for my patch. I believe the new LO gives out patches for free.
to be honest when i 1st joined apa and got a patch i thought it was kinda cool lol. now it dont really matter.9 on snap or 8 on break is just pure luck and i dont see the need for those patches.

the only patches that i am aware of not having is the 8 and 9 mini slam patches or the grand slam patch. it would be kinda cool to earn any of those patches because it meant you shot your ass off that night. i did earn another 8 ball break and run patch this week though.

Old
  (#47)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

12-20-2013, 11:33 PM

Funny how everybody has a box full of patches....

I have maybe 10-12 from four years of playing.

Reinforces how much I suck

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#48)
trob
AzB Silver Member
trob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond reputetrob has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 04:31 AM

our lo is going to start charging for patches at the beginning of the year and to be honest I don't blame him. I've only been playing apa for a year and because I'm a high number I can only play every other week and I probably have 40 patches. Do I really need a patch every time I get a 9 on the break lol The first one I say give for free..after that if you want a collection paying a buck seems fair.

Player........... road line with a 314/3 and a shattered revo shaft

Break cue.... bk3

jump cue..... Fury

Case............ jack justis, predator butterfly , original It's George

If you live with one foot in the future and one in the past you'll piss all over the present.

Old
  (#49)
lorider
AzB Silver Member
lorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond reputelorider has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
Funny how everybody has a box full of patches....

I have maybe 10-12 from four years of playing.

Reinforces how much I suck
well dub if you want to earn some patches quit yer sandbagging.

Old
  (#50)
justadub
Rattling corners nightly
justadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond reputejustadub has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
well dub if you want to earn some patches quit yer sandbagging.
Or quit sucking

Our LO gives you a patch for five or six different things, 8-9 on the break, break and run, rack and run, a couple others. But you only get one of each per session. Not every time it happens.

Not that it would make a difference with me, of course. :-)

Player: McDermott G203
Break: J & J 2729

"Let's all pile into the sandbagging wahmbulance and talk about it forever and hold each other until the tears dry!" CreeDo

"Just remember to put the troll back under the bridge when you're done playing with him, Dub!" BrokeStroke

Old
  (#51)
lorider
AzB Silver Member

12-21-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadub View Post
Or quit sucking

Our LO gives you a patch for five or six different things, 8-9 on the break, break and run, rack and run, a couple others. But you only get one of each per session. Not every time it happens.

Not that it would make a difference with me, of course. :-)
the more i read about all of you guys lo's the more i like mine lol.

the only fault i see with my lo is that he is quick to raise a new player but slooooowwwww to lower a new player.

let me give you an example of each.

this session i put on 2 new players.

1. is a very good player that i got off my money league team. i told the lo he should start at a 5 imo. the lo said no..go ahead and start him as a 4 per league rules. i said are you sure? he is that good and i don't want any complaints from other teams. he said yea start him as a 4. 1st week he goes up to a 5...2nd week he goes up to a 6 lol.

2. i added an 18 year old who has never played and don't even know how to hold a cue or make a bridge. i told the lo all this. he starts as a 4 per rules. it takes 8 weeks of blowouts to drop to a 3. 2 weeks later he finally drops to a 2 where he shoulda been after the 4th week imo.

i lost both players the last 2 weeks...

Old
  (#52)
nine_ball6970
585 speed drunk
nine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond reputenine_ball6970 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 09:01 AM

My BCA team won the trip to Nationals two weeks ago.

Old
  (#53)
MaydayMyers
Will break for food
MaydayMyers is on a distinguished road

12-21-2013, 09:19 AM

I recently joined an APA 8-ball team again, having not been on one in 2 years my SL3 rank is going to get me a lot of dirty looks haha.

APA 9-ball I've been going strong as a 6 this last session, our team taking second in the division and several of our players, self included, making it to top dog again.

In UPA (money league) eight ball i'm rolling as a five currently, about 50-50 on W/L

Shooting - McDermott something
Break/Jump : Chinese cue.

Old
  (#54)
ShortBusRuss
Banned
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorider View Post
to be honest when i 1st joined apa and got a patch i thought it was kinda cool lol. now it dont really matter.9 on snap or 8 on break is just pure luck and i dont see the need for those patches.
Sorry, but I can't agree with this.. Making the 8 ball on the break is a skill shot, and it CAN be practiced...

Side rail, second ball break... Contact the the second ball slightly less that 100% full, smooth, medium power full extension stroke... Bottom outside english.. With the firm stroke, the deflection off the tip will cause the CB to contact second ball nearly full.

8 ball with pop out towards the side opposite from your break.

Find the break line and correct stroke, and you can get the 8 ball to hit within a diamond of the side nearly every time.

I've got the speed down on a table and made the 8 on the break three times in a row.

I would actually consider a bunch of 8 ball break patches to be a decent achievement.

Short Bus Russ - C Player

Old
  (#55)
ctyhntr
RIP Ginky
ctyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond reputectyhntr has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 01:50 PM

Would love to see a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post
Sorry, but I can't agree with this.. Making the 8 ball on the break is a skill shot, and it CAN be practiced...

Side rail, second ball break... Contact the the second ball slightly less that 100% full, smooth, medium power full extension stroke... Bottom outside english.. With the firm stroke, the deflection off the tip will cause the CB to contact second ball nearly full.

Find the break line and correct stroke, and you can get the 8 ball to hit within a diamond of the side nearly every time.

I've got the speed down on a table and made the 8 on the break three times in a row.

I would actually consider a bunch of 8 ball break patches to be a decent achievement.

My ego is writing checks that my stroke can't cash.

Old
  (#56)
Maniac
2manyQ's
Maniac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond reputeManiac has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

12-21-2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBusRuss View Post

I agree that the 8-ball can be moved around a lot more with this break...but the percentage of it going in a pocket is still very low. I seen a guy make two 8-balls in a row one night in APA league play using that break, then brag how he knows the "trick" for making it....but he certainly couldn't duplicate the feat (nor come close for that matter) for the duration of the night, during or after his match. I doubt seriously that he's ever done it again.

Also, the second ball break pushes a lot of balls to one side of the table, making running-out more difficult. So, if your 8-ball doesn't fall (and much more likely it will not), you are not going to have an easy time of running out.

I watch the pros play 8-ball and very, very few of them use the second ball break...and they have to win or they don't eat. What does that tell you???

Maniac

Playing cues: 2 Larry Vigus 60" customs, Jacoby D11 w/314-2
Break/jump cues: Larry Vigus 60"dedicated break, Jerico Stinger, Jacoby jump cue
Case: 2 Sterling Wave 4x8's, Sterling butterfly

"I try to think, but nothing happens!" Curly Howard

Old
  (#57)
SKJoss72
AzB Silver Member
SKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond reputeSKJoss72 has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 02:21 PM

me Personally I d like to see the 8 on the Break eliminated for the game. All it causes is a mess of a table and I dont believe that anyone should win without shooting the balls in. When i was a seven I cant tell you how many low number mainly 3's and 4's pulled this crap and ended up making it at least once. as you know a 4 is a decent shooter and the race against a 7 is 5-2 so throw in an 8 OB and it really blows.

I d like to see a few more rule changes but I dont see it happening and this isnt the tread for it.

Old
  (#58)
ShortBusRuss
Banned
ShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond reputeShortBusRuss has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac View Post
Also, the second ball break pushes a lot of balls to one side of the table, making running-out more difficult. So, if your 8-ball doesn't fall (and much more likely it will not), you are not going to have an easy time of running out.
I think this depends on the speed of the stroke, and the thickness of the hit on the second ball. Of course, if you hit it thin, then force will not be fully applied to the rack, and balls will cluster.

Quote:
I watch the pros play 8-ball and very, very few of them use the second ball break...and they have to win or they don't eat. What does that tell you???

Maniac
Where do you watch these pros play 8 ball? The IPT and the Bar Table Championships are the only places I see the pros playing 8 ball, outside of regional bar table tourneys.

That being said, I seem to remember in a recent BTC, I believe it was Parica, who was using this break to great effect. I am not saying it is the most effective break on fast cloth, as compared to a head ball break, but get on some worn cloth and see how you like the head ball break versus this break..

If I was gambling with a D player, I would definitely use this break, no matter how good my head ball break is.. They are not gonna run out anyways, and I will outmove them on clustered tables.

Short Bus Russ - A D Player's nightmare

Old
  (#59)
ShortBusRuss
Banned

12-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKJoss72 View Post
me Personally I d like to see the 8 on the Break eliminated for the game. All it causes is a mess of a table and I dont believe that anyone should win without shooting the balls in. When i was a seven I cant tell you how many low number mainly 3's and 4's pulled this crap and ended up making it at least once. as you know a 4 is a decent shooter and the race against a 7 is 5-2 so throw in an 8 OB and it really blows.

I d like to see a few more rule changes but I dont see it happening and this isnt the tread for it.
A strong 7 is supposed to be a near lock to win every game against even a sandbagging 5. Giving them an 8 ball break means they still have to legitimately win a game.

Ummmm... So I have been told by, ummm... Some 7 players I know...

Short Bus Russ - Spotting the world (of D players...) the eight..

Old
  (#60)
Banks
Banned
Banks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond reputeBanks has a reputation beyond repute

12-21-2013, 04:47 PM

My primary break is probably the second ball break now. It gives a better chance of spreading the balls even with a bad rack. I rarely use a head break on diamond boxes. If I expect the rack to be good on a valley, then I'll probably hammer the head break, though.

It took me a while to get it where the 8 moves well, so I would consider it taking skill to be able to make it off the break, even if the chances are low.

Unless I'm playing somebody that's doing real well for their s/l, I don't expect to lose to anything under a 7 if I'm putting effort into the match. I had a few close calls this last session, but I also wasn't shooting all that great.

Now, if someone wants to show me how to play 9, that would be great! 8's and below can get still get a spot for practice.

Page 4 of 254 « First 234 561454104 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: