Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Top 10 Things Pool Players Do Wrong … and How to Fix Them
Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-01-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dave View Post
Yep. That's an important part of #10 (which I demonstrate quite well at the 9:32 point in the video ... I'm good at that one being an impatient type of person in general).

Agreed. That's huge. I mention it in the "pre-shot routine" section of the video.

Regards,
Dave
Well done, Sir!

Old
  (#17)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-01-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
Quote:
Yep. That's an important part of #10 (which I demonstrate quite well at the 9:32 point in the video ... I'm good at that one being an impatient type of person in general).

Agreed. That's huge. I mention it in the "pre-shot routine" section of the video.
Well done, Sir!
Thanks.

Catch you later,
Dave

Old
  (#18)
ghost ball
AzB Silver Member
ghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond reputeghost ball has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2018, 05:18 PM

#13, Thinking pool playing is a profession.

"People have to start realizing that if they are going to dick members around on AZ, it won't be forgotten about soon." from the blue hog rider

Old
  (#19)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Dave, here's one to add to your list for guys only - trying to break so hard trying to impress someone/anyone with the power/noise of their break, that they lose complete control of the cue ball, mis-hit or miscue, or send the cue ball completely off the table. How many times have we all seen this?

Old
  (#20)
dr_dave
Instructional Author
dr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond reputedr_dave has a reputation beyond repute

11-01-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost ball View Post
#13, Thinking pool playing is a profession.
Good one!

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#21)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-01-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisinNC View Post
Dave, here's one to add to your list for guys only - trying to break so hard trying to impress someone/anyone with the power/noise of their break, that they lose complete control of the cue ball, mis-hit or miscue, or send the cue ball completely off the table. How many times have we all seen this?
Good one. Guys do like to sometimes “impress the ladies” or win “testosterone-fueled pissing contests” with the break.

The worse thing about this is the break is more about technique and timing ... not muscle.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#22)
Runner
AzB Silver Member
Runner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond reputeRunner has a reputation beyond repute

11-02-2018, 09:43 AM

#14 - Always thinking the jump shot will solve the problem.

Old
  (#23)
Kevin Lindstrom
14.1 Addict
Kevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Lindstrom has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 6237

11-02-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I just posted a new video on YouTube:

NV J.13 - Top 10 Things Pool Players Do Wrong … and How to Fix Them

Check it out. I identify and offer advice for how to correct the following top 10 things many pool players do wrong:
1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
4.) Poor Alignment and Aim
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke
10.) Head and Body Motion

I look forward to your feedback, comments, and questions.

Enjoy,
Dave
I just watched this last night. Ever since I learned how to view youtube on my TV I have been addicted.

Thanks for your informative and helpful postings Dr. Dave

Kevin

SCREW IT LETS RIDE

Old
  (#24)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-02-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
#14 - Always thinking the jump shot will solve the problem.
Actually, for a good jumper, the jump shot can solve a lot of problems. However, I agree with you that this is probably a bad way to think.

Regards,
Dave

Old
  (#25)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-02-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Lindstrom View Post
Quote:

Check it out. I identify and offer advice for how to correct the following top 10 things many pool players do wrong:
1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke

Enjoy,
Dave
I just watched this last night. Ever since I learned how to view youtube on my TV I have been addicted.

Thanks for your informative and helpful postings Dr. Dave

Kevin
I also like watching YouTube on my big-screen TV, especially in the winter when I like to watch pool matches while exercising on my spin bike.

I hoped you liked the video,
Dave

Old
  (#26)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:

1.) Cue Elevation
2.) Sloppy Bridge
3.) High Stance
5.) Cue and Eye Motion
6.) No Pre-Shot Routine
7.) Sidespin
8.) Tight Grip
9.) Bad Stroke

Enjoy,
Dave
This video is getting viewed on YouTube at a rate more than twice that of any other video I have ever posted. I was a little surprised by this, and I'm curious what you guys think I should take from this.

Is it just the "Top 10" part of the title that grabs people's attention?

Should I focus more on basic skills and fundamentals in future videos?

Or do people still want coverage of advanced topics like kicking/banking systems, aiming with sidespin, advanced CB control and position play, how to execute advanced shots like jumps, masse, and power breaks, etc.? These are the sorts of things I have mostly focused on over the years.

I look forward to seeing what you guys think.

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#27)
Pacecar
AzB Silver Member
Pacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond reputePacecar has a reputation beyond repute

11-02-2018, 01:23 PM

I'm expecting "university level" material.

Old
  (#28)
dr_dave
Instructional Author

11-02-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacecar View Post
I'm expecting "university level" material.
... like the recent:

NV J.11 - 25 Advanced Game-Winning Pool Shots – BU Exam III

I thought this video would get many more views than it did, compared to other recent videos I've done. These shots are cool, challenging, and fun to learn ... and Samm Diep (also on this video) is a lot cuter than me.

Why aren't people watching this video so much? Is "25" too big of a number, and maybe "10" is better? Do people not care about advanced shots that might be too difficult for them to even try? Did the "BU Exam III" part of the title scare people off?

Thanks,
Dave

Old
  (#29)
JC
Needs Moderation
JC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond reputeJC has a reputation beyond repute

11-02-2018, 01:37 PM

I agree with every item on the list except for #3

Some very straight shooting players don't drag their chin on the cue. Your knee bending stance will take a huge toll over the course of a long session. If you can't bend at the waist all the way you're better off to have your head a little high than to tax your leg muscles by crouching because you will get tired and inconsistent sooner than later.

JC

John Chaplin

http://www.cooscues.com
jchaplin@charter.net

It's not what you don't know that get's you in trouble
It's what you know that just ain't so

Last edited by JC; 11-02-2018 at 01:40 PM.

Old
  (#30)
Tooler
Inside Engrish Prease
Tooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond reputeTooler has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1275

11-02-2018, 01:41 PM

How about failure to properly read the table. Not just initially.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Playing cues: Big-Pin Ivory Scruggs
Judd Wrapless (Still the All Time Fav).
Cue Case: Whitten 2x4
Tip: Searing (Hard)
Fav shaft: Gulyassy SPTX(whip it good)

Page 2 of 6 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: