Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page who would you use to sell your cues ??
Page 3 of 5 123 45

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#31)
Poolplaya9
Tellin' it like it is...
Poolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond reputePoolplaya9 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800
  Send a message via AIM to Poolplaya9  
11-04-2018, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman View Post
I was in Burt Kellermans will to disperse of his cue collection. His wife went another direction and cost herself somewhere in the $200. to 300 thousand range. BE CAREFUL!
I don't know one way or the other but just about everybody in the thread that is linked to below seemed to think that even before the buyer's premium the cues sold for above market value and that she made out better than should have been expected. Curious if you can give any more detail.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=174785

Old
  (#32)
Island Drive
AzB Silver Member
Island Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond reputeIsland Drive has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-04-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i have a bunch of cues i want to sell
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
some ivory joints and /or inlays
ie no szambotis or bushkas
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok
Find someone you trust and who has insurance. Pay em 20% of gross, get info on each purchaser.

www.worldbilliardtour.com
Domain Name Only....

Bill Meacham

Old
  (#33)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

11-04-2018, 08:58 AM

I live in Colorado and if I had some cues to sell and could not sell them to the locals I would use Cuesblues because he is local to me.
Ted sells and buys a lot of cues and knows how to do it for out of area buyers.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#34)
Quesports
AzB Silver Member
Quesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond reputeQuesports has a reputation beyond repute

11-04-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperd View Post
I want to sell a custom signed and dated Richard Black here on az. The issue I am having is that 1) the cue is "full of ivory" and I don't know how to look up the laws to selling ivory cues in Florida. 2) I contacted Richard Black about the cue and is apparently worth a lot. I don't feel comfortable doing some type of online payment and then shipping it out. I am familiar with how easy it is for some buyers to scam and still keep the item. I think the only way to sell it, would be pick up, cash only. Any advice before I list it would be very greatly appreciated.
Well I am in the same boat you are. I contacted a dealer/cue seller an d his value of my cue which is loaded with ivory was $2500.00 and he said I might expect as low as $1500 - $1700. I never did business with him.

I expect in the $6500 range for my cue and based upon many opinions I feel it will go eventually. No hurry here. I get compliments and requests to look at it everywhere. Recently two play gentlemen that both own cues in the value range of my cue said my cue was far nicer looking than theirs. So I am sure of the value of my cue.

As to the dealer that lowballed me I could care less. In all likelihood I will sell locally so I do not have to go through all the rhetoric and time needed to market it.

My recommendations for sellers would be Bill Grassley, ( not sure anyone has sold as many cues as him) and the other would be Jamie Wernsman in no particular order, BTW. I have done business with both and it would probably be a coin flip between the two.

Good luck with your cue!

Old
  (#35)
measureman
AzB Silver Member
measureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond reputemeasureman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1500

11-04-2018, 09:12 AM

I live in Colorado and if I had some cues to sell and could not sell them to the locals I would use Cuesblues because he is local to me.
Ted sells and buys a lot of cues and knows how to do it for out of area buyers.

Playng cue- Troy Downey
Back up cue - The Mighty Lucasi Cocobolo
Still straighter than 90 % of all Meucci cues ever made
"Russian Magic Chalk- good enough to steal".

Russian Magic chalk is the nuts.
Its so good my last and only cube was stolen off the table when I went to the bath room.
They left my $1000 cue but stole my chalk, how strong is that?

The Truth: If you have a stroke the gear don't matter... If you don't have a stroke the gear won't help.
The above quote by Softshot

Old
  (#36)
cuesblues
cue accumulator
cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

11-04-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolplaya9 View Post
I don't know one way or the other but just about everybody in the thread that is linked to below seemed to think that even before the buyer's premium the cues sold for above market value and that she made out better than should have been expected. Curious if you can give any more detail.
https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=174785
I didn't read that link but I was there for both auctipns and bought quite a few cues.
Of course they sold for substantially less than the original cost when Bert bought the cues, but more than certain people wanted to soend.
If your intent was to rob it didn't happen, and selling each cue one at a time would have brought substantially more at the end of the day.

There were tons of issues with many of those cue, some were even returned, and Vince the auction house owner actually took them back.
We all hung out together and played pool for several months after the auction, Vinces wife was a trip.
Going to the auction on a Sunday became a thing to do...like the gun & Nazi auctions.

Many cues were not stored very well, and I suspect many had issues when Bert purchased them.
The amount Mrs Kellernan received was a little under what a dealer would have paid for the entire lot, and that is the direction she should have gone had she cared.
She obviously didn't care and there were many collections Bert owned worth far more than the cue collection.
Bert had very eclectic tastes, many of the cues weren't for everybody, many valuable cues never made it to the auction, and some even sold for more than they were worth.

The guys who went into it solely to make money did quite well, I just bought the cues I wanted regardless of value, and when I sold them I didn't lose or make a big profit.

player.....Josswest, Schon, Schick, Horn, Block Letter Joss
player.....Tascarella, Murray Tucker, Dave Jones Jim Buss
player.....Kersenbrock, Judd Fuller, Steve Klein, Sugar Tree
player.....Joey Bautista, Paul Drexler, Ernie Martinez
player.....Tad's, Michael Morgan, Herman Rambow
player.....David Kikel, Troy Downey, Willie Hoppe Pro
breaker...Hillbily Smacker
jumper....see breaker
shooter...Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter......Spyderco-Massad Ayoob

Last edited by cuesblues; 11-05-2018 at 03:38 PM.

Old
  (#37)
Kickin' Chicken
Kick Shot Afficionado
Kickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond reputeKickin' Chicken has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
i have a bunch of cues i want to sell
all from respected cuemakers,,scruggs /gilbert/webb/ eddie cohen/tad /josswest/gina/bobby hunter/searing
most 4 point 4 veneer
some with modest inlays
some ivory joints and /or inlays
ie no szambotis or bushkas
who do you think has the best turnover of cues and gives the buyer the best prices ??
pms ok
Hi Larry;

You've already rec'd some good advice in this thread and I'll try to add/reinforce a little more.

Establishing *realistic* prices for what you are looking to sell is a necessary first step. The cue market, generally speaking, is down and so pricing accordingly will be important along with a few other things like:

Detailed and accurate descriptions along with complete specs - don't make prospective buyers chase after you to get add'l info that should have been included in your first post.

Pictures can make or break a sale - get very good quality pics. Recently I was sincerely interested in a high end cue here on az and the pics were so crappy that I couldn't tell for sure if it was linen or leather wrap - this was a $3.5k cue. Of course I could have messaged the seller for clarification or better pics but I lost interest and moved on. Make it easy for customers to do biz with you.

As has been pointed out, there are low-ballers, guys wanting to trade even though you specified in BOLD RED; NO TRADES, and the 200 questioners, and vanishing actors, etc, etc. It's part of the selling landscape and you just accept this is a part of selling.

While you can certainly do better financially selling the cues on your own, for some people, and you may well be one of them, the convenience of handing this job off to someone who is capable and trustworthy can have a big appeal.

If you would like me to help with establishing values, I'd be happy to; just give me a call.

best,
brian kc

"Don't let your alligator mouth overload your jaybird ass!" - my Father

"That was stronger than cat piss, right there." - Brandon Shuff

Playing cues: Tim Scruggs - Jeff Olney
Break cue: Predator BK2 w/White Diamond Tip
Jump cue: Jacoby/Lomax

Old
  (#38)
deanoc
AzB Silver Member
deanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond reputedeanoc has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

11-05-2018, 02:39 PM

people should use pictures ,good pictures and complete instructions

I don't foollow that rule because I am a professional salesman

I use ads to make the phone ring

I then qualify my prospects

Its not talking them into something that I do

Its finding out if i have anything they would like

Also by requiring people to call I cull out the ones who are tire kickers or picture watchers only

so by the time my phone rings I usually sell something

If you are not comfortable with this interaction,then put your info out there so they either want it or not

And when or if they ask routine questions like will you take less
You can confidently say,no I won't and I'll tell you why.

This cue is ;already priced right,all you need to do is pay for it and you already have a bargain priced cue

of course if you are high,good by sale

The trouble with dealers that I have found is this,a very able customer calls on your cue with the cash,but he can make more by selling his own so the dealer directs your customer to his product

And he is getting 20% for what,now he tells you that you are too high
They also have the ability to take trades and this usually means two sets of books

Not all dealers are like this ,but some of the better named ones I have used
are.

Now Kicken chicken has been very honest with me in dealings as have others,I don't really know is they take consignments.If they do,you might try them

Old
  (#39)
cuesblues
cue accumulator
cuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond reputecuesblues has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2900

11-05-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanoc View Post

Also by requiring people to call I cull out the ones who are tire kickers or picture watchers only

If you are not comfortable with this interaction,then put your info out there so they either want it or not

This cue is ;already priced right,all you need to do is pay for it and you already have a bargain priced cue

The trouble with dealers that I have found is this,a very able customer calls on your cue with the cash,but he can make more by selling his own so the dealer directs your customer to his product

They also have the ability to take trades and this usually means two sets of books

are.

Now Kicken chicken has been very honest with me in dealings as have others,I don't really know is they take consignments.If they do,you might try them

A lot of that makes sense and I wish it were that easy for normal people.
Dean, you can pull it off because you are far from normal, and I highly doubt you get the stupid questions like "what is the balance point."

I like the part about the "picture watchers."
My problem is the question asking fools who have no intention of buying anything even if they make a deal.
There are a handful of guys who go around asking the same questions over and over, even negotiate deals before they disappear
I've seen similar behavior since my first days on AZ back in 2006, but with social media a new wave of these guys are coming at me from all over the world.
There must be something I do to attract them because I let it go for a while before I cut it off completely.
The sure sign that you have one of these flakes on your hands is the balance point question.
In 12 straight years of doing this stuff, quite a bit in the last 6 years, I have never sold a cue to a guy who asked what the balance point is.
I don't and won't respond to the balance point question, which is a cop-out question.
No serious buyer has ever asked me about the balance point.

I really wish I could do things they way you do, and others who have tried it have failed miserably, because it only works for you.

player.....Josswest, Schon, Schick, Horn, Block Letter Joss
player.....Tascarella, Murray Tucker, Dave Jones Jim Buss
player.....Kersenbrock, Judd Fuller, Steve Klein, Sugar Tree
player.....Joey Bautista, Paul Drexler, Ernie Martinez
player.....Tad's, Michael Morgan, Herman Rambow
player.....David Kikel, Troy Downey, Willie Hoppe Pro
breaker...Hillbily Smacker
jumper....see breaker
shooter...Sig Sauer P226 357
cutter......Spyderco-Massad Ayoob

Old
  (#40)
Shooter08
Runde Aficianado
Shooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond reputeShooter08 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 800

11-05-2018, 10:39 PM

Has anyone ever taken a poll on a cue value? Maybe $200 increments to determine a perceived market value? Obviously you would have to toss high and low values due to bias, but the middle may be accurate.

Old
  (#41)
Thunder Thighs
learning daily...
Thunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond reputeThunder Thighs has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 2950

11-06-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
selling a cue is not like hustling pool,don't try to get the best of it
Well said Dean

Old
  (#42)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

11-06-2018, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccues View Post
As someone in the midst of selling a HUGE collection. It is an undertaking for anyone. You cannot price it "fairly" because even when you do, its not fair enough and you're going to see the meaning of the word low ball. You will never here the words "I'll take it" at any price you list. If you list your Searing for $900, you'll get offered 6, this you can take to the bank.

You will be cherry picked and left with the marginal to hard to move items. The person I am working with was "cherry picked" out of some very key cues. I am a patient man, and I enjoy buying and selling. Some people that sell, when they find out the real way people get stupid and want to nit pick your weight off by .02 ounces, or they see some mysterious blemish that they must have looked at the cue through the Hubble. That is when they see selling, its not so easy.

Good luck.. any way you go...

JV
Joe knows cues. I would think he would be a good one to sell the cues for you if he does that sort of thing.

Old
  (#43)
ThinSlice
Banned
ThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond reputeThinSlice has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:

are.

This coming from a person that doesn’t post pics. Weird place the AZ Billiards.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

Old
  (#44)
GoldCrown
Be Creative...play 1P
GoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond reputeGoldCrown has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinSlice View Post
This coming from a person that doesn’t post pics. Weird place the AZ Billiards.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Hi and welcome to Azb. Deanoc is so cool he is frozen.

Player: Schon H4L w/ REVO
Case:JB 4/8 Hybrid
Favorite Game...Pocket a Piece
Instructional source: "One Pocket...A Game of Controlled Aggression" by Tom Wirth. This book is a players best friend.
1P Instructor: Tom Wirth
Stroke Instructor: Scott Lee
Honorary member TCC
I need more cues like a snail needs airbrakes

Old
  (#45)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuesblues View Post
A lot of that makes sense and I wish it were that easy for normal people.
Dean, you can pull it off because you are far from normal, and I highly doubt you get the stupid questions like "what is the balance point."

I like the part about the "picture watchers."
My problem is the question asking fools who have no intention of buying anything even if they make a deal.
There are a handful of guys who go around asking the same questions over and over, even negotiate deals before they disappear
I've seen similar behavior since my first days on AZ back in 2006, but with social media a new wave of these guys are coming at me from all over the world.
There must be something I do to attract them because I let it go for a while before I cut it off completely.
The sure sign that you have one of these flakes on your hands is the balance point question.
In 12 straight years of doing this stuff, quite a bit in the last 6 years, I have never sold a cue to a guy who asked what the balance point is.
I don't and won't respond to the balance point question, which is a cop-out question.
No serious buyer has ever asked me about the balance point.

I really wish I could do things they way you do, and others who have tried it have failed miserably, because it only works for you.
Without someone actually holding a cue how do you relate its balance? "Well its a tad butt-heavy?" Doesn't knowing the BP give you an idea if its front or back heavy? Why is it a "cop out" question? BTW, i rarely buy cues without holding them first just for this reason. I don't see how asking it makes a buyer any less viable. Buying a cue without seeing, imo, is insane. I don't give a rat's-a^* who the seller is.

Page 3 of 5 123 45

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: