Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page 9 ball / 10 ball middle ground
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2
 
Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
9 ball / 10 ball middle ground
Old
  (#1)
nataddrho
AzB Silver Member
nataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond repute
 
nataddrho's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2014
   
9 ball / 10 ball middle ground - 11-06-2018, 06:09 PM

I like nine-ball and I like the idea behind it, but fundamentally it bothers me a bit. Ten-ball solves the technical tolerance but it lacks the fluency and the often-times appreciated silent communication of nine-ball, as well as deliberate two-way shots and safeties.

What do you think of a middle ground being: regular nine-ball and "spot what goes in early"... for any ball including the 9.

The idea being you get the two-ways and you keep your turn, but you need to adapt your plan for the spotted balls. If your opponent unintentionally locks you up, you still need the kicking skills to get out it and reverse the safety just like in nine-ball. Nobody needs to say words out-loud to call balls. If opponent flukes a ball, they must prove that they can still run-out when the ball comes back on the table, which may be a little bit more fair.

The only downside I see is the accumulation of a string of spotted balls on the head string, but may expose the skill requirement for precision long-distance safety play.

Thanks for reading my public brainstorm dump. Cheers

Nate


Lead Engineer - OB Cues
Inventor of the DigiCue and DigiCue BLUE
  
Reply With Quote

Old
  (#2)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute
 
Straightpool_99's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 3,477
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Blog Entries: 6
Join Date: Feb 2006
   
11-06-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
I like nine-ball and I like the idea behind it, but fundamentally it bothers me a bit. Ten-ball solves the technical tolerance but it lacks the fluency and the often-times appreciated silent communication of nine-ball, as well as deliberate two-way shots and safeties.

What do you think of a middle ground being: regular nine-ball and "spot what goes in early"... for any ball including the 9.

The idea being you get the two-ways and you keep your turn, but you need to adapt your plan for the spotted balls. If your opponent unintentionally locks you up, you still need the kicking skills to get out it and reverse the safety just like in nine-ball. Nobody needs to say words out-loud to call balls. If opponent flukes a ball, they must prove that they can still run-out when the ball comes back on the table, which may be a little bit more fair.

The only downside I see is the accumulation of a string of spotted balls on the head string, but may expose the skill requirement for precision long-distance safety play.

Thanks for reading my public brainstorm dump. Cheers

Nate
I always disliked calling shots in anything but straight pool. In the Phillipines they play 10 ball without call shot rules, and it's a much better game. 8 ball doesn't need call shot either. It's a stupid thing to call out what you're going to do in a pool game. Straight pool is the one exception, because removing it would break the game.

The fundamental flaw with nine ball isn't fluking balls, but the break being wired. The people whining about fluked balls are crybabies that are going to whine no matter what. One should never cater to that crowd. They are the same people who do not understand two way shots and want them completely removed with "call safe" rules, which is the worst thing ever invented by anyone ever, which as you can imagine, is up against pretty stiff competition.

9 ball has been played with bih behind the line, spotted balls etc. I've seen some tournaments on youtube (old). It looked like it sucked, sorry to say. So your opponent fouls, there is allready spotted balls there, and the ball he potted and scratched on gets spotted behind these...With ball in hand behind the line, you don't have much of an advantage...That is just ONE problem, there are others too. Play 10 ball (Pinoy style) or straight rotation which is a much better game.

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 11-06-2018 at 06:37 PM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2016
   
11-06-2018, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
I always disliked calling shots in anything but straight pool. In the Phillipines they play 10 ball without call shot rules, and it's a much better game. 8 ball doesn't need call shot either. It's a stupid thing to call out what you're going to do in a pool game. Straight pool is the one exception, because removing it would break the game.

The fundamental flaw with nine ball isn't fluking balls, but the break being wired. The people whining about fluked balls are crybabies that are going to whine no matter what. One should never cater to that crowd. They are the same people who do not understand two way shots and want them completely removed with "call safe" rules, which is the worst thing ever invented by anyone ever, which as you can imagine, is up against pretty stiff competition.

9 ball has been played with bih behind the line, spotted balls etc. I've seen some tournaments on youtube (old). It looked like it sucked, sorry to say. So your opponent fouls, there is allready spotted balls there, and the ball he potted and scratched on gets spotted behind these...With ball in hand behind the line, you don't have much of an advantage...That is just ONE problem, there are others too. Play 10 ball (Pinoy style) or straight rotation which is a much better game.
I agree.

The call every little rail, kiss etc...etc thing reminds me of the drunk in a bar asking me if I meant for the 8 ball to touch the rail about 1/4" up rail before going in pocket.

Anytime someone says call this or call that, I know at that point two things are about to happen:

1. They are about to be disappointed.
2. They are about to be disappointed.


My equipment:
table / sticks / balls

personal best:
mine
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
 
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,845
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2007
   
11-07-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
Ten-ball solves the technical tolerance but it lacks the fluency and the often-times appreciated silent communication of nine-ball
Huh?

Quote:
as well as deliberate two-way shots and safeties.
I believe these are still possible in 10 Ball.

pj
chgo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5)
Buckzapper
AzB Silver Member
Buckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond reputeBuckzapper has a reputation beyond repute
 
Buckzapper's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2010
   
11-07-2018, 05:14 AM

I want all this, plus alternate breaks. I get the wild 7 and 8 and I get 7-5 on the wire. My opponent must shoot every money ball with a jump cue. No talking while I'm at the table. Nobody touches my Kamui chalk.


"Wow! He cut that ball so thin, like a worker from the delicatessen." Upstate Al

"I'll play anyone in the house even for this big bag of quarters." Scooter

"Never kick in One Pocket, unless you're mad at your backer." Danny Diliberto
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6)
sjm
Sweating it at the Derby
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute
 
sjm's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 14,354
vCash: 525
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New York, NY
   
11-07-2018, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
The fundamental flaw with nine ball isn't fluking balls, but the break being wired. The people whining about fluked balls are crybabies that are going to whine no matter what. One should never cater to that crowd. They are the same people who do not understand two way shots and want them completely removed with "call safe" rules, which is the worst thing ever invented by anyone ever, which as you can imagine, is up against pretty stiff competition.
Well said. Texas Express 10-ball Pinoy style is fine, but if 10-ball means calling shots, you can have it. Call safe, as you say, is the worst thing ever invented, and robs the game of much of its majesty.

I think nine ball with the nine racked on the spot is also enough to make sure that balls on the break have to be earned and that multi-purpose shots remain part of the game.

Although it's a little tougher to make a ball on the break at ten ball, the truth is that in many other ways, the ten ball break is more predictable than the nine ball break. The path of the front ball is predictable, the two balls under the one track toward the two side pockets, and the corner balls track onto a four rail path into the bottom corner pockets. This, unfortunately, means that the pattern rackers will ensure that the configuration of the balls after the break will vary much less than in nine ball. Less variability in the runouts is the result, which is not as interesting to watch.

Played the way it's played today, ten ball hasn't solved anything. As a fan, I'd much rather watch nine ball, and with either nine on the spot, neutral racker, or both, the breaking issues go away.

In short, if the middle ground is Texas Express 10-ball, I can live with it, but I'd still prefer nine ball with nine on the spot, neutral racker or both.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 500
iTrader: 11 / 92%
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa,Ok.
   
11-07-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
I like nine-ball and I like the idea behind it, but fundamentally it bothers me a bit. Ten-ball solves the technical tolerance but it lacks the fluency and the often-times appreciated silent communication of nine-ball, as well as deliberate two-way shots and safeties.

What do you think of a middle ground being: regular nine-ball and "spot what goes in early"... for any ball including the 9.

The idea being you get the two-ways and you keep your turn, but you need to adapt your plan for the spotted balls. If your opponent unintentionally locks you up, you still need the kicking skills to get out it and reverse the safety just like in nine-ball. Nobody needs to say words out-loud to call balls. If opponent flukes a ball, they must prove that they can still run-out when the ball comes back on the table, which may be a little bit more fair.

The only downside I see is the accumulation of a string of spotted balls on the head string, but may expose the skill requirement for precision long-distance safety play.

Thanks for reading my public brainstorm dump. Cheers

Nate
In WPA 10b rules you can play a 2way shot. There is no called-safety in the WPA format.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
 
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,845
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2007
   
11-07-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
In WPA 10b rules you can play a 2way shot. There is no called-safety in the WPA format.
Are two-way shots prevented under some rules? How?

pj
chgo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 500
iTrader: 11 / 92%
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa,Ok.
   
11-07-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
Are two-way shots prevented under some rules? How?

pj
chgo
On the Predator 10ball(NYC area) Tour they played call-shot/call-safe. So if you call a shot, miss and hook your opp. they can make you shoot again. To play safe you have to announce it before you shoot. Kills the 2way and i for one hate this format. Read rule #7: http://predatorproamtour.com/rules.asp

Last edited by garczar; 11-07-2018 at 08:50 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10)
nataddrho
AzB Silver Member
nataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond reputenataddrho has a reputation beyond repute
 
nataddrho's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 432
vCash: 500
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jan 2014
   
11-07-2018, 12:24 PM

Then 9-ball for points, one point per ball, or American rotation. Not much else you can do to fix it.


Lead Engineer - OB Cues
Inventor of the DigiCue and DigiCue BLUE
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#11)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
 
Patrick Johnson's Avatar
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 17,845
vCash: 1700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Join Date: Jun 2007
   
11-07-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garczar View Post
On the Predator 10ball(NYC area) Tour they played call-shot/call-safe. So if you call a shot, miss and hook your opp. they can make you shoot again. To play safe you have to announce it before you shoot. Kills the 2way and i for one hate this format. Read rule #7: http://predatorproamtour.com/rules.asp
So every miss is a pushout?

pj
chgo
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#12)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 500
iTrader: 11 / 92%
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa,Ok.
   
11-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
So every miss is a pushout?

pj
chgo
I guess if that's how you gotta see it. Incoming player can pass back on all misses unless safety is called. If a ball is made on a safety attempt you can pass that back also. Tony's tour has been around a while and this works for them. I for one am not a fan of CS/CS.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#13)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2016
   
11-07-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Johnson View Post
So every miss is a pushout?

pj
chgo
In call shot, call safe, every missed ball is nothing more than a push.

I for one hate playing that way after HAVING to do it in a few tournaments.

I think 10 ball should be played EXACTLY like 9 ball.

The biggest reason 9 ball is so easy for the pros is because of the way 9 ball breaks. The 10 ball break and run % is much, much lower than 9 ball even without the call shot/safe rule.

Bottom line to me:

Call shot / safe is for the NITS.

Rake


My equipment:
table / sticks / balls

personal best:
mine
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#14)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Join Date: Jun 2016
   
11-07-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataddrho View Post
Then 9-ball for points, one point per ball, or American rotation. Not much else you can do to fix it.
I don't like the point system in 9 ball but I do like American rotation.

10 ball with no calling anything is best option.


My equipment:
table / sticks / balls

personal best:
mine
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#15)
garczar
AzB Silver Member
garczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond reputegarczar has a reputation beyond repute
 
Status: Offline
Posts: 5,206
vCash: 500
iTrader: 11 / 92%
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tulsa,Ok.
   
11-07-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
In call shot, call safe, every missed ball is nothing more than a push.

I for one hate playing that way after HAVING to do it in a few tournaments.

I think 10 ball should be played EXACTLY like 9 ball.

The biggest reason 9 ball is so easy for the pros is because of the way 9 ball breaks. The 10 ball break and run % is much, much lower than 9 ball even without the call shot/safe rule.

Bottom line to me:

Call shot / safe is for the NITS.

Rake
Yep. Regular call-shot 10b is fine. Where i play we make one change to WPA rules and that is you can carom/combo(called of course) the 10b for a win. Still doesn't count on the snap but it doesn't have to go last as in WPA 10b. Makes for a little more exciting game.
  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.