Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page My Simonis cloth plays extremely slow? Help or Advice Appreciated
Page 2 of 4 12 34

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

11-07-2018, 09:39 AM

Iím going with wrong cloth
...and have it restretched

Do not use the same billiard mechanic

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

https://www.facebook.com/skriptik/?ref=page_internal POOL PENS

Old
  (#17)
Straightpool_99
I see dead balls
Straightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond reputeStraightpool_99 has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
I disagree...

That cloth is upside-down.
Omg, I think you might be right! Looking at the biggest picture, it does indeed seem to be upside down! If true, that mechanic should be hung, drawn and quartered! It's tough to tell from a picture, but really easy when you hold it in your hands and look at it in person.
This is right side up.

See if you can get to a piece of cloth by going underneath the table, and feel it. The down side should feel rougher and fuzzier. The other side should feel smoother, with more even texture.
Attached Images

Last edited by Straightpool_99; 11-07-2018 at 09:54 AM.

Old
  (#18)
michael4
AzB Silver Member
michael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond reputemichael4 has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothea View Post
My brother and friends who play on it call it the "blue jean table"
yeah, I was going to say corduroy .........

Old
  (#19)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothea View Post
Hi everyone, I had powder blue simonis 860 installed on my table (Brunswick 8ft) about a year ago by a reputable local installer / table mechanic. My father also new worsted cloth installed on his table (Olhausen 8ft) around the same time from a different company. When comparing tables, mine plays extremely slow compared to his. I also noticed that his tables cloth seems much more smooth and silky (its also a different color than mine) . I can't help but to wander if my cloth was installed wrong or upside down as it plays much slower than the local pool halls 7ft diamond tables as well. I understand that our rubber on the rails are different providing different bounce speed, but I wouldn't think that it should effect the speed this much.

Could it be just the fact that they are two different tables? Or possibly his may have a 760 or a different brand. Does anyone have any advice on how to tell if it was installed upside down or how to determine if the speed is correct? If it wasn't for the specific color I got, I would have even questioned that it was indeed simonis?

Its still frustrating a year later considering the price I paid.
Where are you located? I ask because I had 760 installerd on my table by the "best installer" with in a few states and it was really slow. This is not a good thing on a 10' table for sure
Jason

Old
  (#20)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsh98 View Post
I disagree...

That cloth is upside-down.
It's just hard to tell from a photo. The two smaller photos on the bottom sure like the top (correct) side to me, but the larger photo above it, not so much. I have a 4x4 piece of 860HR in front of me right now, and there is a clear difference between the up and down sides. No matter how the rail cloths were cut off of either a 78" wide bolt or a 66" wide bolt, if they didn't waste any cloth and usually the way they send it you can't, as Bob stated in an earlier post, you should see the Iwan Simonis script stamp as well as the printed stamp on the underside of either one, two, or four of the six rail cloths.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 11-07-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: edit

Old
  (#21)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member
ChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond reputeChrisinNC has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slach View Post
Can you cut a small piece of cloth hanging somewhere around the edge of the slate? From a small piece it's pretty obvious which side should be up, the up side is much smoother than the down and the down side's a bit fuzzy.
Usually a good installer / mechanic will / should at least offer to leave you some scrap pieces of the cloth he's trimmed off the sides or ends after installing the bed cloth, for you to use for break pads.

Old
  (#22)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-07-2018, 12:05 PM

The cloth is upside down!

Old
  (#23)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

11-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpool_99 View Post
Omg, I think you might be right! Looking at the biggest picture, it does indeed seem to be upside down! If true, that mechanic should be hung, drawn and quartered! It's tough to tell from a picture, but really easy when you hold it in your hands and look at it in person.
This is right side up.

See if you can get to a piece of cloth by going underneath the table, and feel it. The down side should feel rougher and fuzzier. The other side should feel smoother, with more even texture.
This is what the weave pattern looks like on the surface side, don't matter what color it is, look how tight the weave is.
Attached Images

Old
  (#24)
JZMechanix
www.billiardmechanix.net
JZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 12:21 PM

One way to tell for sure would be to turn the room lights off and shine a black light on the cloth. You should see a serial number printed on the cloth which is a security measure that Simonis uses to tell if the cloth is indeed Simonis. I don't think the serial number will show up if the cloth is indeed upside down.

That being said, it looks correct to me, but the pics aren't the clearest.

I'm going to be reclothing a table here soon in the slate grey Simonis 860, which is I think the same color you have. I'll try to take a few good pics of the top and bottom of the cloth to show the difference.

Jack Zimmerman
812-756-2899
www.billiardmechanix.net

Old
  (#25)
fishless
AzB Silver Member
fishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond reputefishless has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 8218

11-07-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realkingcobra View Post
The cloth is upside down!
Better hope that cloth wasn't glued down. :-)

Old
  (#26)
Johnny Rosato
AzB Silver Member
Johnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Rosato has a reputation beyond repute

11-07-2018, 12:37 PM

If it's installed upside down and you want the installer to reimburse you, re-install it, or cover the cost for someone else to install new cloth correctly, be aware that some members will want you to just eat the cost and not bother the guy. You know, just "let it go"!
(Read a couple recent threads about stolen cues and you'll understand what I'm saying. SMDH)

Old
  (#27)
ChrisinNC
AzB Silver Member

11-07-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rosato View Post
If it's installed upside down and you want the installer to reimburse you, re-install it, or cover the cost for someone else to install new cloth correctly, be aware that some members will want you to just eat the cost and not bother the guy. You know, just "let it go"!
(Read a couple recent threads about stolen cues and you'll understand what I'm saying. SMDH)
If you can confirm for certain the cloth was installed upside down, I certainly would't want the same mechanic touching my table again! If he doesn't know the right side of the cloth, I guarantee you he doesn't know how to properly level a table and properly install / stretch the cloth on the table. The best you can likely hope for is to get him to reimburse you either for the cost of the labor to hire another mechanic to do it correctly, if the cloth can be flipped over and re-used, or the cost of the cloth, roughly $225. Then find a reputable and experienced table mechanic to fix / finish the job correctly. Either way, you're likely to take a hit for $ something, unless the installer has enough integrity to admit his error and reimburse you for the entire $ amount you spent - cloth and labor.

Last edited by ChrisinNC; 11-07-2018 at 01:08 PM.

Old
  (#28)
JZMechanix
www.billiardmechanix.net
JZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond reputeJZMechanix has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 05:07 AM

Here's a few comparison pics of the top and underside of Simonis 860 in Slate Grey. The bottom in noticeably "nappier" and not near as smooth as the top side.

IMO it's obvious that the OP's cloth is indeed installed correctly.

Name:  20181107_170800.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  206.6 KB

Name:  20181107_170716.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  206.0 KB

Name:  20181107_170739.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  198.5 KB
Name:  20181107_184451.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  193.7 KB

Jack Zimmerman
812-756-2899
www.billiardmechanix.net

Old
  (#29)
bradsh98
Bradshaw Billiard Service
bradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond reputebradsh98 has a reputation beyond repute

11-08-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZMechanix View Post
Here's a few comparison pics of the top and underside of Simonis 860 in Slate Grey. The bottom in noticeably "nappier" and not near as smooth as the top side.

IMO it's obvious that the OP's cloth is indeed installed correctly.
Jack! Good to hear from ya!

I think that close-up photos can be deceiving, as I still believe that the OP's cloth is upside-down. And here is why:

The OP's cloth has been installed for a year, so most of the fuzziness would have been worn away by now. Also keep in mind, the OP's cloth is currently installed, so it is under tension. If you look at the first picture that he showed, you can see a well defined thread weave pattern in his cloth. It looks like straight channels in the cloth. Simonis only looks like that from the backside. When installed correctly, you have to look very carefully to see the weave, as the surface is quite smooth. The surface of the OP's cloth does not look as smooth as it should. Hence the comments about the "blue jean table".

I could be wrong, but that's my take anyway.. Reminds me of the first Gold Crown that I ever bought.. That had Simonis Green 860 installed upside-down. It was a turd.

Geoff Bradshaw
Bradshaw Billiard Service

I play with a Hammond Custom Cue. You should too.

Old
  (#30)
JZMechanix
www.billiardmechanix.net

11-08-2018, 09:26 AM

Hi Geoff,
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one, buddy! I say its correct as is but the black light test will be the proof, short of seeing which side the logo is printed on. Have a great day!

Jack Zimmerman
812-756-2899
www.billiardmechanix.net

Page 2 of 4 12 34

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: