southwest cue

dubaifooser

Registered
Hello everyone,

I really need help on this matter,

please forgive my question as I am a beginner and do not have any experience in materials like others, can anyone tell me what is the original SW ferrules. I its melamine but which one exactly.

your kind answer is really appreciated!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello everyone,

I really need help on this matter,

please forgive my question as I am a beginner and do not have any experience in materials like others, can anyone tell me what is the original SW ferrules. I its melamine but which one exactly.

your kind answer is really appreciated!

Jerry made me a cue almost around when he was first starting out. If I remember right the ferrules were old Micarta. In fact I am pretty certain. I only used the cue for a short time and I think I sold it to Tommy Kennedy.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
First micarta, then melamine.

The older SW uses aegis 1 which is a LBM with less web-texture/pattern. But this ferrule will get blue and dirty.

The new SW now uses whats for sale on the market, atlas, cuecomponents, etc. LBM which is aegis 2. Web-like texture and more cleaner, doesnt get dirty as much as the older one.

But aegis 1 are hard to find and I've been looking for them for ages and hardly come across any, many ebay sellers sell them as aegis 1 but theyre all aegis 2. Older TAD uses these aegis too, now they change it to Juma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
SW uses melamine from Spaulding. Unfortunately, it's no longer made, and without a $20K blind order, they won't even make it on request. By blind I mean they make something you hope will be the right stuff, and sale is final. It was my preferred ferrule for years, and now I have none. Next best thing is the stuff being sold by many of the dealers, but it's not as good. It's the best thing available, though, unless Spaulding decides to begin producing again. I'm unsure if SW still has some or if they were forced to switch like the rest of us.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
SW uses melamine from Spaulding. Unfortunately, it's no longer made, and without a $20K blind order, they won't even make it on request. By blind I mean they make something you hope will be the right stuff, and sale is final. It was my preferred ferrule for years, and now I have none. Next best thing is the stuff being sold by many of the dealers, but it's not as good. It's the best thing available, though, unless Spaulding decides to begin producing again. I'm unsure if SW still has some or if they were forced to switch like the rest of us.

Porper introduced the cleanest White linen ferrules that could be found back in the late 80s or early 90s. Most of us cuemakers just bought them from Joe at the time and I suspect SW did also. Then Joe could no longer get the same quality of material and quit selling them and went with a plastic ferrule. Since then there have been several different White Linen materials to come through the market and we are forced to use what is being manufactured currently. The rest of the story is in Eric's quote above.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member

Yes but the melamine which Spaulding made performs way better imo. I have always been looking for them, I had a couple of rods but I used em all on my cues, had two pieces left. But I still need more. If anyone has them Id like to buy as much as I can. The only downside about these ferrule compared to the recent melamine is that it gets blue easily. The newer ones are cleaner and stiffer.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
The new ones I've seen are pitty and have to be sealed.
They attract chalk like crazy too.
I don't use them. I stick to mason micarta.
I am tempted to use the brown paper micarta now.
I am going to ask my customers if they mind the color.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Yes but the melamine which Spaulding made performs way better imo. I have always been looking for them, I had a couple of rods but I used em all on my cues, had two pieces left. But I still need more. If anyone has them Id like to buy as much as I can. The only downside about these ferrule compared to the recent melamine is that it gets blue easily. The newer ones are cleaner and stiffer.

Agreed. The newer ones are also not quite as white. I say newer, but it really isn't new, just didn't have a place in our industry until we lost the good stuff. I find them to be more brittle, so I had to change the way I install them. Not a huge issue, but man I am screwed if they quit making this stuff. I'd probably quit making cues. Just can't get a hard, clean, strong, white material for ferrules anymore. You can get white, but it's soft. You can get strong, but it's porous & pitty. You can get clean, but it's crappy plastic. The best stuff available simply isn't good enough :mad:

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
The new ones I've seen are pitty and have to be sealed.
They attract chalk like crazy too.
I don't use them. I stick to mason micarta.
I am tempted to use the brown paper micarta now.
I am going to ask my customers if they mind the color.

The melamine stuff Atlas sells is all pretty bad. The stuff I use isn't a bit pitty. Same company that makes Mason micarta, and actually very similar in all respects except color. It's white(ish) rather than piss yellow. They also have a relatively low minimum compared to what Spaulding was, or you can buy it from one of their retailers in small quantity.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Agreed. The newer ones are also not quite as white. I say newer, but it really isn't new, just didn't have a place in our industry until we lost the good stuff. I find them to be more brittle, so I had to change the way I install them. Not a huge issue, but man I am screwed if they quit making this stuff. I'd probably quit making cues. Just can't get a hard, clean, strong, white material for ferrules anymore. You can get white, but it's soft. You can get strong, but it's porous & pitty. You can get clean, but it's crappy plastic. The best stuff available simply isn't good enough :mad:

Yeah, nothing beats the old aegis. Cant believe they're no longer producing them anymore and I wonder why no one even tries to get them produced since so many cuemaker likes em.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Yeah, nothing beats the old aegis. Cant believe they're no longer producing them anymore and I wonder why no one even tries to get them produced since so many cuemaker likes em.

I did try. Was told I needed to pony up $20K for them to even attempt it, and I would be stuck with whatever the result, no guarantees. They wouldn't guarantee that it would be the same stuff, nor that it would be clean white. Wasn't a gamble I was willing to take.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

B/c they were really never intended for cues .
That material was the secret to the hit of the old TS sneaky petes .
1" long and capped . Pinged like titanium.

Then the translucent melamine came about and they were good too . Used to see them on Judd's cues . He loved them. Got some of them from a supplier in rod forms. Then , pfft ! Gone.
The cleanest and hardest I have now are Ivor-X rods. I only use them on Zylr tribute cues for the most parts . I only have a very limited amount left .
Mason's micarta came in ivory color when he sold them. Now, they are green.
Still the most durable material available today than can be threaded and no cap, outside of paper micarta imo.
Saber T is pretty white and hard . Weighs as much as ivory though.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
I did try. Was told I needed to pony up $20K for them to even attempt it, and I would be stuck with whatever the result, no guarantees. They wouldn't guarantee that it would be the same stuff, nor that it would be clean white. Wasn't a gamble I was willing to take.

If its 20K and with 100% guarantee I dont mind chipping in. But thats too risky, cant anyone find the guy who makes em or whoever has the right stuffs/formula?

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
If its 20K and with 100% guarantee I dont mind chipping in. But thats too risky, cant anyone find the guy who makes em or whoever has the right stuffs/formula?

They don't guarantee jack.
We went on a group buy for double black and brown phenolics.
They were ok but not like the old double black and dark brown phenolics.

You might as well contact their Taiwan branch.
You can PM me for the name if you want .

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member

My buddy & me were going to buy at $20K, from the manufacturer who used to make the stuff, who had the formula on hand, but they wouldn't guarantee anything.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
Never knew it was so hard to find good plastic for ferrules.

Learn something new all the time on here.

I like the 'translucent' ferrules on all the cues of yours I've had, Eric.

I think 4 of em I had had the same materials. The older cues I had of yours had a much more solid white ferrule though.

Check your PMs if you haven't by the way please...?