Nubs Wagner

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Trademark Index in the Blue Book of Pool Cues can be found by doing a simple google search.

The results...

Nova Cues
Mr. Norbert "Nubs" Wagner
2100 Northwestern Ave
West Bend, WI 53090
414-335-2600
novacues@nconnect.com Whoopsie... type-o

novacues@nconnect.net is what is actually listed, sorry

I've noticed that not all entries are "up to date".
I hope this one is and it helps you out.
-Jon

Last edited:

jongreve

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have also found this...

Nova Cues
2100 Northwestern Ave
West Bend, WI 53090
(800) 335-7790

This one also shows up on yellowbook.com. Search engines are great (if the info is up to date)

Last edited:

DR Pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is in Kentucky or some where around there.

No contact info. I think he's is out of the business.

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
9ballpoker said:
He is in Kentucky or some where around there.

No contact info. I think he's is out of the business.

yup, he is, for quite awhile now. which is another reason why it is so weird that such great players keep such a comparably low tally. and you never see many nova sticks in your halls.

camargored

Camargo Red Cues
Silver Member
this is all i know

he live around waco ky that all ive got .ive been told he doesnt cue cue work anymore?

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Nubs lives in Waco, KY, and no longer does any cue work. Very unfortunate for us Nova lovers! He's working at a machine shop nowadays. I think his nickname came from the fact that he is a big guy that has short fingers! I think Dave Jacoby does most of the repairs and can make dymondwood inserts for Nova style shafts.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
Novas aren't real cues ;) ?

Attachments

• Copy of Novas 001.JPG
    Copy of Novas 001.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 648

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Hunter said:
Novas aren't real cues ;) ?

I was sold on them at first and was on of the first room runners in the Central Ohio area to stock and really push them. I really liked Nubs ideas/design and he was sponsoring a few players locally, so I gave it a shot..... One major flaw came out immediately. When used for breaking, the thread insert/joint area of the shaft would explode, literally. I'm not just talking about players with "big breaks" but players just hitting a controlled and solid break shot. Not to be a gender basher, but a few of the ladies playing with them were breaking shafts.... The softer you hit them the longer it would take them to fail. But failing was inevitable.

Nubs did everyone right for a long while by replacing shafts and making changes to the design but after months of people going thru shafts, some as many as 8, the owners just got to the point they couldn't fade it any longer and either switched to Predator shafts or sold the butts to others who then put Predators on them. At one point I had 7 or 8 Nova butts in my office for sale...

Innovative design but bad in practice......

Saw

lncanada9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
real cue????

The Saw said:
It's time to by a real cue Wang.....

Saw

I do remember when they were in business they blasted the record for the most inlays in a cue which came out perfect with no flaws. The previous recore was around 1600 inlays by someone like richard black. Have you ever heard of the "rope cue" featuring 3600+ inlays by nova? I played with Nova cues for awhile and they hit solid and just a little softer than a Schon. Nubs had a 3 man shop and put out about 50 cues a month. Nubs worked for McDermott and I think Schon before he started his own cues. The magic man of the shop was the inlay guy named Steve Miller. Steve drived 2 hours to the shop everyday and it was just too much for him after awhile. I dont know how to contact Steve, but if someone is looking for a design man, he is a genius.

Hunter

The King of Memes
Silver Member
The Saw said:
I was sold on them at first and was on of the first room runners in the Central Ohio area to stock and really push them. I really liked Nubs ideas/design and he was sponsoring a few players locally, so I gave it a shot..... One major flaw came out immediately. When used for breaking, the thread insert/joint area of the shaft would explode, literally. I'm not just talking about players with "big breaks" but players just hitting a controlled and solid break shot. Not to be a gender basher, but a few of the ladies playing with them were breaking shafts.... The softer you hit them the longer it would take them to fail. But failing was inevitable.

Nubs did everyone right for a long while by replacing shafts and making changes to the design but after months of people going thru shafts, some as many as 8, the owners just got to the point they couldn't fade it any longer and either switched to Predator shafts or sold the butts to others who then put Predators on them. At one point I had 7 or 8 Nova butts in my office for sale...

Innovative design but bad in practice......

Saw

Hi Saw,

I've owned several over a period of eight years and have never had anything close to what you describe happen. I'm not saying it couldn't, but I certainly haven't had the same experience.

I didn't have many of the old styled shafts that he used phenolic inserts on. Mine were virtually all made of dymondwood, which he used in later years. Frankly, the dymondwood was so hard that I can't imagine it ever exploding. Was it the wood around the insert? Sorry your dealings with Nova sounded bad, Saw. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though.

I always had great luck dealing with Nubs and wish he'd stayed in the business. I like the way his cues are balanced, nice and forward heavy. I consider his finishes to be one of the best around. I've used the top cue in the above picture as my primary playing cue for eight years and don't have a single ding in it. I've had a few instances over the years that would have definitely been a noticeable ding in most finishes, but not on this cue. I've played around with tips and ferrules, and the current combination I use makes it feel very much like a Schon on steroids. I'd take a Nova over a Schon any day of the week, though, and I'm a fan of Schon cues!

Regards,

Steve

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
Hunter said:
Hi Saw,

I've owned several over a period of eight years and have never had anything close to what you describe happen. I'm not saying it couldn't, but I certainly haven't had the same experience.

I didn't have many of the old styled shafts that he used phenolic inserts on. Mine were virtually all made of dymondwood, which he used in later years. Frankly, the dymondwood was so hard that I can't imagine it ever exploding. Was it the wood around the insert? Sorry your dealings with Nova sounded bad, Saw. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, though.

Steve

The ones we had problems with did have the phenolic inserts in the shaft and the wood would explode around and above where the blanks were piloted for the phenolic insert. Nubs tried several different things and now that you mention it, I think there were a few people that ended up with Diamondwood inserts that finally solved the problem. But by the time he figured the solution most people had become jaded and moved on to other cues. FWIW, I liked the way the cues played, the pricing was reasonable, designs and quality were awesome, that's the reason we started carrying them.... Had we not ran across the shaft problems, I could have sold 50-60 more cues, league players loved them. We had sold somewhere around 18-20 cues and IIRC had problems with 10-11 of them.

Saw

The Saw

Juicy Pop in 2016!
Silver Member
beav99_4life said:
You too Saw. Just to help ya, i'll take that crappy Scruggs SP off your hands, lol.

Keep livin the dream Steve! Keep livin the dream.......... Have I ever told you how good that cue plays????:rotflmao:

Saw