Finish Question

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm trying to find out what kind of finish Brunswick used on their Anniversary tables--If the finish is still available and who might still produce the product.
Thanks

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The table is a Centennial Aniversary and has the Briazlian Rosewood rails--Do I use a Laquar or maybe a Clear Polyurathane--just trying to get a good idea of what to use on the rails to finish up

The table is a Centennial Aniversary and has the Briazlian Rosewood rails--Do I use a Laquar or maybe a Clear Polyurathane--just trying to get a good idea of what to use on the rails to finish up

A lot of prep work is needed before any finish should be applied.
Everyone that puts finish on those rails....for the most part....turn them black...or really dark.

The black brazilian rosewood rails are hard to finish......and have all 6 rails match.......some don't want them to match.....just want the beauty of the natural wood.....but they turn dark in a lot of spots......that's why I like the reddish look on those rails.

Just dig in and go at it......you'll more than likely do them about 3 or 4 times before you like the look.
My advise....get the cushions and sub-rails done before you do the refinishing.

Mark Gregory

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Mark

While being in the Furniture Biz for the last 30 years, I worked quiet a lot dealing with all aspects of finishing--I'm not sure if the cushions have ever been replaced, but saying that, the table plays way fast the way it is now. Also the rails along the side's are the continious rails--one solid piece all the way, the length of the table--I suspect that these tables with the long side's were some of the first ones made---I wish I had the funds to send these down to you to take care of-but the hot water I would be in with the wife on that, out ways my wishes.
I'll jump in the water and see how it turns out--any direction's that you could afford me , are most appreciated.
Thanks Again

gsm1sw

Banger by birth
Gold Member
Silver Member
The guy I use to restore tables might be able to give you an answer. Call Arthur Ball of Ball Billiards in Plano, Tx (972) 424-4533. He is usually there between 9:30 - 3:00 central time. I do know that Art does not use laquer and the finish feels smooooth.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As old as those tables are I'd be willing to bet most any of the various common finishes today are better, at least durability wise, than what they used back then,,,,,,,,,,,,I'd personally go with something that offers alot of durability, like a Urethane, and whatever degree of Gloss, semi gloss, that you want to eventually get.

Beautiful old tables though.

BBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anniversary Rail Finish

Hello,

If you want a great finish that is easy to maintain, Danish oil and wax, the depth of shine is awesome.

Refinished my rails in 1992, still look great, deep mirror finish, the process is easy, Dave Saffron at Saffron billiards was the Anniversary restorer back then and he shared with me his process.

PM me your email and will explain the process in detail.

Regards,

Joe