Now I'm to the young age of 61

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just turned the big one and 1 more added,,interesting thing though--last year when turning 60 I had a 115 run just before hitting the mark--no witnesses--this year is was 137 just a few days ago and witnessed by my son's best freind Johnny Martin of Mville Va--he hadn't seen runs of over 3 or 4 in nineball--but he really liked watching a bit of straight pool--specially getting into the 9th rack--I hadn't been there in quiet some time either--I couldn't stand up and play for the dough ray me anymore in the 9 ball game with the youngsters--but at 61,,I can still run a hundred and a little more. I feel fine with that and the idea that it can and does flashback on occasion-Just bough a new cue back a few months ago and had been working out with it--if I could figure out how to post pic's I'd have it on here--it's different--I can email it--but haven't figured out how to post'em-cheers gang:thumbup:
61 and still running out --from time to time

mr8ball

That is a great run, I have not run over 30 in my life but do not play that much straight pool either. I play pretty good 8 & 9 ball but not straight. Some reason I cant keep my focus and always get stuck in the rack on the break ball. Our best player here (Greg Taylor) has a high run over 100 and ran 82 on me the other day. You should come to Lynchburg VA and play him some. I am sure it would be a good match.

gerard soriano

HIGH RUN STILL TO COME !
Silver Member
Just turned the big one and 1 more added,,interesting thing though--last year when turning 60 I had a 115 run just before hitting the mark--no witnesses--this year is was 137 just a few days ago and witnessed by my son's best freind Johnny Martin of Mville Va--he hadn't seen runs of over 3 or 4 in nineball--but he really liked watching a bit of straight pool--specially getting into the 9th rack--I hadn't been there in quiet some time either--I couldn't stand up and play for the dough ray me anymore in the 9 ball game with the youngsters--but at 61,,I can still run a hundred and a little more. I feel fine with that and the idea that it can and does flashback on occasion-Just bough a new cue back a few months ago and had been working out with it--if I could figure out how to post pic's I'd have it on here--it's different--I can email it--but haven't figured out how to post'em-cheers gang:thumbup:

I am 52 thanks for letting me know I will be getting better after 60 ! Now I Look forward to it .Congrats on great shooting & Happy B Day

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Never

You are proof that you should never let age dictate to you.Keep it going, and Happy 61 st. Birthday !

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the ""Well Wishing"--great thing about this run--it Was Witnessed--I'm going to get my Zoom Cam up , when the cold weather gets around and see what I can lay down and post--maybe this time I might get the magic 200--when I was 27 I layed down a 184--but that was just a memory ago--I sure do miss some of my old running buddies that have gone on
Here's too all of them and cheers again

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member

Congrats on your nice runs. I hope when I'm your age I play that well.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's some info on the cue from my buddy Tim whos I use'ta run the road with--I had just gotten back from Mbeach while on duty to a freinds Bach Party--we won't go there though--my son and I were on our first outing alone without the Miss'es--and she shouldn't hear of such--Here's Tim's discription of who built the new instrument
hey chip, u survived myrtle beach. lol. heres a pic how the cue started out. It is a fullsplice john davis blank built as a wrapess cue by Guido Orlandi.. my friend joe (BAMA CUES on the az forums) had cory barnhart match the lacewood points with the buttsleeve. He added the ivory hoppe ring & wrapped & refinished the cue. Corys work is second to none. A real perfectionist. When Dave Gross (who I got the cue from) got it he had Ernie Martinez make the shaft u were hittin balls with in Raleigh. So Dave named it the"Mutt Cue". Glad you like it. Its a sweet playin cue. Your pal, Tim
I bought the cue while in Raliegh and it just became glued to me when I picked it up the first time--I like this "Mutt Cue":thumbup:
Gotta figure out how to post the pic's though

mr8ball

chip did you use to play in the Elks Lodge if so I think I remember you. we had a few good matches back then

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
Chip, I'm 63 and don't play nearly as well as I used to... but I can still worry those young guys. This past Saturday I won the Annual Turkey Shoot Tournament at Billiards of Springfield, MO (9 ball). I'm packing nearly 100 pounds of extra weight so my body was way past worn out when that tourney ended. Anything that wasn't hurting wasn't working, but it still felt great to win. I was easily the oldest player there and some of those guys can flat play some pool.

Cancer and the after-effects kept me off the tables for nearly 15 years. I'll never be as good as I once was, but I still love the game.

We just have to keep on keepin' on. :)

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the ""Well Wishing"--great thing about this run--it Was Witnessed--I'm going to get my Zoom Cam up , when the cold weather gets around and see what I can lay down and post--maybe this time I might get the magic 200--when I was 27 I layed down a 184--but that was just a memory ago--I sure do miss some of my old running buddies that have gone on
Here's too all of them and cheers again

Happy b-day Mr Roberson..hope you post up 200 before your
next b-day..I hear what your saying about loseing buddy you use
to play with..I've a few good buddies playing with St Peter too.
I miss them too..you got me by six years..I hope I'm still playing
at 61..shoot str. my friend..happy turkey day too.

BelleBelle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run, I respect the game of straight pool. I learned by playing nineball and became a decent player. I always thought straight pool would be easy and a 100 ball run could be done within a day of me trying. Two weeks later of playing, and playing my high run was 74. It's a tough game!

scratchs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice run, I respect the game of straight pool. I learned by playing nineball and became a decent player. I always thought straight pool would be easy and a 100 ball run could be done within a day of me trying. Two weeks later of playing, and playing my high run was 74. It's a tough game!

yes..yes it is.your better then me..74..nicely done.

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I really envy you. I guess we all age differently. I just turned 62 and in the past year everything has gone to hell. I fell not so badly but with didbetes, it seems each week there is another complication, I just had a laswee treatment on the right eye today and the left last week and told today i will have to do more in 3 weeks. What is weird is that i the the lat few months I have gone color boind and constantly shooting the wrong ball.
I am hop9ng the tratments will restore everything and can get back to it.
as Willy said,"At least I outlive my D***!

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
chip did you use to play in the Elks Lodge if so I think I remember you. we had a few good matches back then

Yes I played for the Elks lodge here in Mville back in 91 or 92 and we won the State Tourny that year--I grabbed that pic off the wall in the lodge just the other day. I scanned it at home
and too the pic back--damn I looked young 20 years ago.

If I remember there was a gent at the Lburg lodge that played pretty good 1 pocket ,,he was a good friend of Willie Joplin and willie had worked with him showing him the ropes.
He had me down a couple of games before I caught on that he could play.. Lots for good 1 pocket around there at one time.

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really envy you. I guess we all age differently. I just turned 62 and in the past year everything has gone to hell. I fell not so badly but with didbetes, it seems each week there is another complication, I just had a laswee treatment on the right eye today and the left last week and told today i will have to do more in 3 weeks. What is weird is that i the the lat few months I have gone color boind and constantly shooting the wrong ball.
I am hop9ng the tratments will restore everything and can get back to it.
as Willy said,"At least I outlive my D***!

Yes ,,we all age differently--hoping the best for you and what your going through--I ache and have joints a poping just from sitting or getting up out'a a dang chair anymore-I start thinking back to when I Had freinds just drop from heart attacks --and other desieses--ain't fair on any of us I guess--but just wish the best for the ones that are around,and try to help in some way,guess that's the best
we can do