Carbon shafts and joint diameter

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Seeing more and more carbon shafts has me convinced that in 10 years it is possible everything but the most entry level cue and high end custom cues will be carbon shafted. So, naturally I'm curious about trying one. I have hit some balls with a Revo and it was nice enough.

My problem is that I don't want a Predator cue or any other cue brand who's making carbon shafts. I want to keep my beloved Runde but get a shaft to fit it. Now that the Revo comes in 5/16x14 that is a possiblity, however the joint diameters don't match up (.830 on the Runde vs .840 for the Predator).

Does anyone know of a carbon shaft maker where the joint can be custom sized? I feel like there is opportunity for someone to mate a carbon shaft to a short section of wood (or some other material) for the joint such that it could be turned down to match specific cues.

I don't want to spend $500 on a shaft and have it not fit just right.

Kevin Lindstrom

14.1 Addict
Silver Member
Seeing more and more carbon shafts has me convinced that in 10 years it is possible everything but the most entry level cue and high end custom cues will be carbon shafted. So, naturally I'm curious about trying one. I have hit some balls with a Revo and it was nice enough.

My problem is that I don't want a Predator cue or any other cue brand who's making carbon shafts. I want to keep my beloved Runde but get a shaft to fit it. Now that the Revo comes in 5/16x14 that is a possiblity, however the joint diameters don't match up (.830 on the Runde vs .840 for the Predator).

Does anyone know of a carbon shaft maker where the joint can be custom sized? I feel like there is opportunity for someone to mate a carbon shaft to a short section of wood (or some other material) for the joint such that it could be turned down to match specific cues.

Unless you are putting a CF shaft on and ebony cue it won't look right either. If you are convinced you want one the fact that the shaft and joint diameters don't match should not be all that critical. Most will say who cares what the cue looks like if it plays well go for it.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Interesting, haven't heard of these before but will do some research! Definitely looks good! Thanks for posting your link.

Unless you are putting a CF shaft on and ebony cue it won't look right either. If you are convinced you want one the fact that the shaft and joint diameters don't match should not be all that critical. Most will say who cares what the cue looks like if it plays well go for it.

It'll go on a cue with ebony points and butt sleeve and a black leather wrap....so I actually think a black shaft would look fine. I'm absolutely not committing to using this as my main shaft, just want to play around a little and check it out. But the joint mismatch would bother me....I often have my chin resting on the cue and would feel it.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You’re welcome. I have enjoyed Goran’s CF shafts so much I have ordered my third recently. In my experience with Revo, Jacoby Black and Cynergy, the GO 2 is the perfect blend of all benefits with no drawbacks, better sound, feel and a very wide range of customization.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cuetec

My Cuetec CF shaft fits perfectly on my R Series Schon. Might be an option as I am pretty sure the diameters between your cue and mine are the same.

asbani

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On budgetcues you can order a meucci carbon shaft and choose a specific joint diameter size customized for just extra $15

And the Meucci carbon plays and feels just as good or even better than the other carbon shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member

And this is a problem? Almost any monkey with a lathe can wipe off 10 thou. Let alone a quality repair or cue guy. Buy it. Try it. If you like it and it still bothers you get a local to match it up.

Ty Arnold

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can a carbon fiber shaft be thrown on a lathe and turned down like a wood shaft? And would it mess with the finish or texture of the shaft?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can a carbon fiber shaft be thrown on a lathe and turned down like a wood shaft? And would it mess with the finish or texture of the shaft?

No, carbon as a material don't offer the flexibility of wood. Once the shaft is done, the dimensions are pretty much set in stone.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ned Morris custom cues. He has his own cf shafts and will mate to an existing butt

Last edited: