Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Table roll: How much is ok?
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 5785

01-28-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloppy Pockets View Post
Ah, that makes perfect sense since gravity is the causative factor. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, about how much higher or lower does one pocket need to be before a perceptible roll would be present at the speed in the video (assuming well flattened cloth with no grain left)? Or maybe you think in terms of degrees and minutes out of level?
That depends on how long of a shot is made, meaning the longer the ball is rolling, the greater the chance of a slate if it's off level just a little changing the path of the ball. But that same amout of out of level slate has little effect on shorter distance shots.

Glen

Old
  (#17)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member
realkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond reputerealkingcobra has a reputation beyond repute

01-28-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC View Post
To be clear, Glenn checked the table 6 ways to Sunday using an intricate system of cards and about 8 mechanics levels. I also slow rolled a number of shots before he left to further check, and more after he left. As far as I could tell -- and I did check -- there were no rolls when he left.

Then, 10 days later, I shoot a bank with perfect pocket speed and it rolls off in the way that I showed in the video.

It's good to hear that the issue is the new cloth. I'll just practice my 8-ball break for a while, which will cause a lot of traffic over the problematic area.

Would brushing or going over the area with the X1 help?

Thanks everyone for the input!
Cory

P.S. Black-Balled -- if the roll doesn't go away, that will be your designated pocket next time we play.
Yes, brushing or using the X1 will speed up the blending of the grain of the cloth, but it's not an over night change.

Old
  (#18)
oldschool1478
AzB Silver Member
oldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond reputeoldschool1478 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-28-2013, 12:03 PM

Glen,
Am I correct in assuming that 760 will take even longer to blend because of the lower nap?

Old
  (#19)
realkingcobra
AzB Silver Member

01-28-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool1478 View Post
Glen,
Am I correct in assuming that 760 will take even longer to blend because of the lower nap?
It's a thinner cloth, therefore less tracking issues.

Old
  (#20)
Eric.
Club a member
Eric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond reputeEric. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1225

01-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbb View Post
freddy the beard in his book on banking talked about the nap od the cloth and how depending on the direction of the object ball head to foot or foot to head it will "bend "in different directions
this from memory i have not gone to the book to verify
but i remember that the roll you are describing has to do with the nap og the cloth
king cobra called it "grain"
i assume they are talking about the same thing
yes and no.

old cloth had a fuzzy texture, so you had a nap. Think about carpet, as an example.

Newer worsted cloth is more like the woven texture of blue jeans. There is no nap, but the woven pattern or grain is what the ball touches.

Eric

Old
  (#21)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

02-03-2013, 07:46 PM

As an update, the roll is already greatly diminished and close to gone--brushing and the X1, plus some play, seem to have done the trick.

Thanks everyone, especially Glenn!

CUES:Schon, Webb
HOURS OF POOL: 10 in a good week

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: