DC Area: New Masters League in Shirlington

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry for the DC-specific post in the general forum, but there are a lot of DC-area players on AZB and this seems like a good way to reach them.

I've been hoping for a Masters League to start up somewhere closer to DC than Sterling for a long time and it looks like that's about to happen (assuming enough players show).

It starts on Thursday, 8/22, at Lucy's ARL (previously Champions in Shirlington). The flier I saw doesn't list a time, but I'm guessing you should show up at 7. If you don't have a team, I'm sure you can find one. Eric H. is running it; I don't know him and don't want to post his phone number, but if you need to talk to him, send me a PM and I'll give you his number.

Knowing the field at Lucy's, I'm guessing it will be at least half 6s with a few 5s in the mix, so no need to be a world beater to play.

Mention AZB to me and your first beer is on me! (Even you, Walter.)

Cory

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Sorry for the DC-specific post in the general forum, but there are a lot of DC-area players on AZB and this seems like a good way to reach them.

I've been hoping for a Masters League to start up somewhere closer to DC than Sterling for a long time and it looks like that's about to happen (assuming enough players show).

It starts on Thursday, 8/22, at Lucy's ARL (previously Champions in Shirlington). The flier I saw doesn't list a time, but I'm guessing you should show up at 7. If you don't have a team, I'm sure you can find one. Eric H. is running it; I don't know him and don't want to post his phone number, but if you need to talk to him, send me a PM and I'll give you his number.

Knowing the field at Lucy's, I'm guessing it will be at least half 6s with a few 5s in the mix, so no need to be a world beater to play.

Cory

Good luck with the Masters' League. I enjoyed the one at First Break for several seasons.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is this the APA Masters thing, USAPL Masters or just a new league called Masters?

I love playing in the USAPL Masters league, invite only, 10 ball all called shot, no need to call everything (gentelman's rule on that, even banks and combos are not called by the player often) because the players know where the ball should have gone in anyway if you were trying to pocket it. There was ONE guy in the league ever in several seasons that was an ass and would cheat at every chance, he has not been seen in the league last few seasons.

The invite only keeps anyone with a reputation for causing arguements out of the league and even though it's technically for the top players, if you really like to play but are not quite there in ability, you are allowed in.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cory

I like beer, but I do not like being told when I am going to the pool room!

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya 6s that play like 7s Is Pooky playing out of there
They used to have their pockets triple shimmed what are they now

Is there really a discernable difference in a 1-level change?

I know that even in the same tournament, I often can give myself the 7+, as good/ bad as I might play a given set.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there really a discernable difference in a 1-level change?

I know that even in the same tournament, I often can give myself the 7+, as good/ bad as I might play a given set.

Spanish Rob was playing one time at Allstars hcp turny as a 5:eek:
Yes there can be a huge difference between the 2 if they are honest Hcp then not so much

There is no hcp in the master divisions
Larry Kressle. Dave Hunt Chris Brunner on the same team won the nationals a couple if yrs ago 2nd or 3rd their all 7s

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a consolidated response, sorry if I missed your question.

1. Hang-the-9: I should have been clear that it's APA Masters. No handicaps, even races to 7, mix of 8-ball and 9-ball. Minimal score keeping.

2. Black-Balled says, "I do not like being told when I am going to the pool room."
==> That's funny, I don't like being told when I'm not going to the pool room.

3. One-stroke says, "Ya 6s that play like 7s Is Pooky playing out of there."
==> Like I said, half 6s (with most of the rest being 7s). And if they're super-strong 6s, it doesn't matter in Masters. You can call them a 6, a 7, a 9, a 105, or a sandbagger. It's still an even race to 7. Pooky has been playing regular APA league, so I hope he'll play in this. If he does, he'll probably be the best player in the division. That's great, not a bad thing.

Overall, though, there just aren't the bodies there to fill the league with strong 7s and up, so I stand by my comment that it will probably be 50%+ 6-speed players. Also, in my experience, for at least the first 3/4 of a season, teams tend to match up strength-to-strength. So a C to B- player ranked as a 6 will mostly play people who they have a chance against, not Pooky (and not even Cory).

4. One-stroke asks: "They used to have their pockets triple shimmed what are they now?"
==> They weren't just triple-shimmed, they were triple-shimmed very poorly--that was 2 or 3 owners ago that did that. They've been slowly undoing that and there are few if any tables that are still triple-shimmed. At least 4 tables have been completely re-done with new rails, and I understand that they're working through the rest. Danny Greene and someone else have been doing that work.

Looks like I may get out cheap on my free beer offer. Is anybody from here coming?

Cory

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's a consolidated response, sorry if I missed your question.

1. Hang-the-9: I should have been clear that it's APA Masters. No handicaps, even races to 7, mix of 8-ball and 9-ball. Minimal score keeping.

2. Black-Balled says, "I do not like being told when I am going to the pool room."
==> That's funny, I don't like being told when I'm not going to the pool room.

3. One-stroke says, "Ya 6s that play like 7s Is Pooky playing out of there."
==> Like I said, half 6s (with most of the rest being 7s). And if they're super-strong 6s, it doesn't matter in Masters. You can call them a 6, a 7, a 9, a 105, or a sandbagger. It's still an even race to 7. Pooky has been playing regular APA league, so I hope he'll play in this. If he does, he'll probably be the best player in the division. That's great, not a bad thing.

Overall, though, there just aren't the bodies there to fill the league with strong 7s and up, so I stand by my comment that it will probably be 50%+ 6-speed players. Also, in my experience, for at least the first 3/4 of a season, teams tend to match up strength-to-strength. So a C to B- player ranked as a 6 will mostly play people who they have a chance against, not Pooky (and not even Cory).

4. One-stroke asks: "They used to have their pockets triple shimmed what are they now?"
==> They weren't just triple-shimmed, they were triple-shimmed very poorly--that was 2 or 3 owners ago that did that. They've been slowly undoing that and there are few if any tables that are still triple-shimmed. At least 4 tables have been completely re-done with new rails, and I understand that they're working through the rest. Danny Greene and someone else have been doing that work.

Looks like I may get out cheap on my free beer offer. Is anybody from here coming?

Cory

Just checking on the Tables I used to play there a lot I know who originally shimmed them I know Danny also it's all good.
I'm on the fence about playing again. I have not played since we went to Vegas last yr.
I played in place of Mike Justin who played on your Vegas team
I know that it will be a strong league over there that's why it interests me

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just checking on the Tables I used to play there a lot I know who originally shimmed them I know Danny also it's all good.
I'm on the fence about playing again. I have not played since we went to Vegas last yr.
I played in place of Mike Justin who played on your Vegas team
I know that it will be a strong league over there that's why it interests me

Well, if you're on the fence, perhaps my free beer offer will carry the day! Please introduce yourself if you do come. Tell Mike I said hello.

As far as I can tell, the redone tables play nice.

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last bump for tonight's new Masters League at Lucy's ARL.

And don't forget the first beer free offer!

Cory

Last edited: