Chicago player

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Although i stopped playing in 12-65 until relocating from CHI in 76 (military, job, life and other sundry bs) to the woderful metropolis of memphis i stayed somewhat abreast of the pool scene and can't recall Artie booking many, if any, losers.

That said i also can't recall any reports of him getting into the pit with monsters such as Shorty, Worst,Cook, etc......not to say he did or didn't

RJ, do you recall him playing "Champions" ?

He played Shorty a race to 30 for 5K at Bensingers in 1970. He beat Shorty 30-5!

He beat Jersey Red in 68, Red gave Artie 10-8 and Red got ALL the breaks!

He beat Gene Nagey playing straight pool, Nick Varner wouldn't quit playing Artie for $300 a game because he was learning so much from him! His father begged him to quit! Robbed Jimmy Reid, He played Bugs his entire life, 9-8. The only reason Artie took the 9-8, and didn't play even is not to give up all the same spots Bugs did on the Southside of Chicago!

I'd really like to know where the people that NEVER seen him play get their info!

In the 60's and 70's, if a road player came to Chicago to play ANY game on the green felt we had it covered at Bensingers! If they came with a big smile and bank roll they'd leave without both!

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Ya that Don McCaughy in Iowa couldnt play 1p either because most never heard of him. All around Dallas W.,gambling still take Artie.

Artie played Dallas West, Straight pool, Artie got and won at 125-100, Artie played him 3 cushion even and robbed Dallas! DW wouldn't play 1P at any game with Artie! Artie really hated 9 ball! He always said, "How smart do you have to be, to know you have to shoot the 4 after the 3!"

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Anybody know the years Artie owned Bensingers?
...I played there briefly when I was a kid....didn’t know anybody till after I left.

....it was one floor in the basement by then...can’t remember the address.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Anybody know the years Artie owned Bensingers?
...I played there briefly when I was a kid....didn’t know anybody till after I left.

....it was one floor in the basement by then...can’t remember the address.

Artie owned it in 70,71, the lease ran out. He sold it to Bob Segal owner of Howard & Palina Billiards. Clark Diversey Billiards (Bensingers) was at the intersections of, Clark, Diversey and Broadway, they opened New Years day 1960.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Artie owned it in 70,71, the lease ran out. He sold it to Bob Segal owner of Howard & Palina Billiards. Clark Diversey Billiards (Bensingers) was at the intersections of, Clark, Diversey and Broadway, they opened New Years day 1960.
Thanx, Billy....I guess I never seen Artie then.

I would’ve loved to see the original Bensingers...the room Tevis called Bennington’s in
his book.......five floors...with the billiard floor on top.

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Thanx, Billy....I guess I never seen Artie then.

I would’ve loved to see the original Bensingers...the room Tevis called Bennington’s in
his book.......five floors...with the billiard floor on top.

The last Original Bensingers was downtown at 131 Randolph st. 5 floors is correct! Bowling lanes, barber shop/cigar shop, floor for Pool, then billiards. At one time, they had 5 or 6 rooms in Chicago at the same time.

usakr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone know if Sammy Soto played any of these guys? He was in the Chicago area for a long time. Surprised no one really mentions him much. I do know he really didn't want to play champions much cause he didn't want the reputation. But he did slip a few times hustling Siegel and Hall.
Not sure if he played much one pocket though. But I never saw him miss any banks.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
He played Shorty a race to 30 for 5K at Bensingers in 1970. He beat Shorty 30-5!

He beat Jersey Red in 68, Red gave Artie 10-8 and Red got ALL the breaks!

He beat Gene Nagey playing straight pool, Nick Varner wouldn't quit playing Artie for $300 a game because he was learning so much from him! His father begged him to quit! Robbed Jimmy Reid, He played Bugs his entire life, 9-8. The only reason Artie took the 9-8, and didn't play even is not to give up all the same spots Bugs did on the Southside of Chicago!

I'd really like to know where the people that NEVER seen him play get their info!

In the 60's and 70's, if a road player came to Chicago to play ANY game on the green felt we had it covered at Bensingers! If they came with a big smile and bank roll they'd leave without both!

APPRECIATE your contribution to this thread

reinforces the opinion i had of ARTIE

i didn't know that RORY (O'SHEA) stayed with the game as alluded to in the link earlier in the thread

is ARTIE in his mid-seventies?

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
APPRECIATE your contribution to this thread

reinforces the opinion i had of ARTIE

i didn't know that RORY (O'SHEA) stayed with the game as alluded to in the link earlier in the thread

is ARTIE in his mid-seventies?

Artie will be 75 this year, 1 year older than myself. Rory O'Shea came from a,' Fighting Irish' family! ALL 5 brothers, except Patrick were, 'Golden Gloves' champions! Rory and his brother Mike were Chicago Fire fighters for most of their lives.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Artie will be 75 this year, 1 year older than myself. Rory O'Shea came from a,' Fighting Irish' family! ALL 5 brothers, except Patrick were, 'Golden Gloves' champions! Rory and his brother Mike were Chicago Fire fighters for most of their lives.

Yeah, where did the time go. I'm 57. So, when I was 15 at the club, you all were in your early 30's. I remember Rory well. One guy nobody fugged with ;) I mean, other than Race Track Phil, lol

I really wish someone would have FORCED me to learn 3 cushion... damn, that would have helped tremendously !!!

Last edited:

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member
Yeah, where did the time go. I'm 57. So, when I was 15 at the club, you all were in your early 30's. I remember Rory well. One guy nobody fugged with ;) I mean, other than Race Track Phil, lol

I really wish someone would have FORCED me to learn 3 cushion... damn, that would have helped tremendously !!!

Yeah Robert, I remember, you were just a kid back then! Rory was a VERY good boxer in the ring! But, Mike was one hell of a guy to have in your corner in a bar or beef on the streets! Mike knew the value of getting the break! LOL! I witnessed him giving a guy the longest time for a knockout, about 15 minutes he lay there, twitching! Back in the day, Mike got shot point blank with a 25 caliber by a bartender right between the eyes! Mike shook his head and reached over the bar before the guy could pull the trigger again, and beat the s**t out of him! Then promptly going to the ER at Illinois Masonic. I was always the, 'sober guy' I didn't drink then or now.

When Artie played up at the Northshore, He'd been done basically with pool for 4 or 5 years!

Since the appearance of Efren around 84-85, showing his strength at kicking and perfect CB control, it took pool players 25 years to wise up to the fact that 3C is an internal element to being a TOP player at ALL pool games, especially 1 pocket!

Last edited:

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I loved playing on the old 10’ tables in that basement location (I had never even SEEN one before). I’m curious though, about the specifics re: why/when the move to across the street/upstairs. When I went back to that basement room and found it had closed (I think there was a sign directing you to the new location), I crossed & climbed, and found a room so seedy looking, I just turned around and never went back! It was gone for good the next time I passed there.

1 Pocket Ghost

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw this thread, and thought I would post up...

Well, as far as I know, I believe that along with Bill "Mr. 3cushion" Smith, I am, sadly, the only other pool player left around who was a regular at Bensinger's Billiard Academy, and after that, Freddy, Bobby (R.J.'S dad), and Phil's North Shore Billiard Club during the 1960's and 70's....and after those two memorable rooms closed, the action, and yours truly, were to be found at Marie's Golden Cue, The Billiard Cafe, and Chris's Billiards....that said, let me say two things...

#1. It gets asked a lot (as in this thread) whether Artie in his prime, really was as good as, if not better than, the top few One Pocket players of that era - the answer is, he was - and trust me, I'm not being a 'homer' in saying that...and also, having watched Artie play Boston Shorty, Nick Varner, my old friend Bugs, etc. etc. and knowing the game of One Pocket to the extent that I do, my assessment of Artie's game is qualified.......and I'm always having to :rolleyes: when someone from another part of the country pretends to have a very informed opinion re. the level of Artie's One Pocket game back in the day, when they really weren't there, and don't really know.

#2. I just want to say a few words about my old friend, R.J.'S dad Bobby...

Bobby was a really great guy, a super funny guy, and a real good gambler...he was my pinochle partner a good amount of the time, and we won more than our share of games - except when his ego got a little bit the best of him and he bid too high ...and speaking of ego's, Freddy, Bobby and Phil each thought that they were the best pinochle player in the room, if not the country......RIP my brothers, and bank on.

- Ghost

jrhendy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, as far as I know, I believe that along with Bill "Mr. 3cushion" Smith, I am, sadly, the only other pool player left around who was a regular at Bensinger's Billiard Academy, and after that, Freddy, Bobby (R.J.'S dad), and Phil's North Shore Billiard Club during the 1960's and 70's....and after those two memorable rooms closed, the action, and yours truly, were to be found at Marie's Golden Cue, The Billiard Cafe, and Chris's Billiards....that said, let me say two things...

#1. It gets asked a lot (as in this thread) whether Artie in his prime, really was as good as, if not better than, the top few One Pocket players of that era - the answer is, he was - and trust me, I'm not being a 'homer' in saying that...and also, having watched Artie play Boston Shorty, Nick Varner, my old friend Bugs, etc. etc. and knowing the game of One Pocket to the extent that I do, my assessment of Artie's game is qualified.......and I'm always having to :rolleyes: when someone from another part of the country pretends to have a very informed opinion re. the level of Artie's One Pocket game back in the day, when they really weren't there, and don't really know.

Bobby was a really great guy, a super funny guy, and a real good gambler...he was my pinochle partner a good amount of the time, and we won more than our share of games - except when his ego got a little bit the best of him and he bid too high ...and speaking of ego's, Freddy, Bobby and Phil each thought that they were the best pinochle player in the room, if not the country......RIP my brothers, and bank on.

- Ghost

We played rotate partners pinochle at the Golden Cue outside Los Angeles in the 70’s/80’s. They always asked me to play because I was a sucker and then scream at me when I was their partner and played bad.:D No one would take me for a partner full time.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

- Ghost

Saw Varner many times in the late 90s, past his prime; Bugs a couple of times, past his prime; you, several times (past your prime?); and Artie, once, admittedly past his prime.

No way he could hang with Varner or Bugs. They had way too much finesse and firepower for him. I’ve seen what I’ve seen. You Chicago lads want to say otherwise, have at it.

Lou Figueroa

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I loved playing on the old 10’ tables in that basement location (I had never even SEEN one before). I’m curious though, about the specifics re: why/when the move to across the street/upstairs. When I went back to that basement room and found it had closed (I think there was a sign directing you to the new location), I crossed & climbed, and found a room so seedy looking, I just turned around and never went back! It was gone for good the next time I passed there.

I had a long money session on one of those 5x10s when I was a kid.
...coming off 6x12s, the table looked small and the pockets looked big...
...so I got over-rated....I gave Chicago a wide berth for a few years,

I’m sorry I never got to see Artie play...never played one-pocket till late 70s.

But I’m enjoying this thread

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Saw Varner many times in the late 90s, past his prime; Bugs a couple of times, past his prime; you, several times (past your prime?); and Artie, once, admittedly past his prime.

No way he could hang with Varner or Bugs. They had way too much finesse and firepower for him. I’ve seen what I’ve seen. You Chicago lads want to say otherwise, have at it.

Lou Figueroa

Right, you never saw him play in his prime, but of course, you have an opinion on the subject. Sorry, St. Louis couch potatoes should probably sit this one out, it's what they do best.

And Ghost saw them all play, and he knows 1P like that back of his hand. Sorry, I'll take the ghost's knowledge in 1P every day and twice on Sunday over yours. Heck, I'm guessing he'd still spank you on the table even in his 70's :) lol

Last edited:

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

- Ghost

Too funny. Most of the arguments in the pool hall was not over a game of pool, it was from the card tables, LOL

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right, you never saw him play in his prime, but of course, you have an opinion on the subject. Sorry, St. Louis couch potatoes should probably sit this one out, it's what they do best.

And Ghost saw them all play, and he knows 1P like that back of his hand. Sorry, I'll take the ghost's knowledge in 1P every day and twice on Sunday over yours. Heck, I'm guessing he'd still spank you on the table even in his 70's :) lol

meh.

I know what I saw, prime or past.

Lou Figueroa

mr3cushion

Regestered User
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa

Once again, a bodacious chirp from one who has NEVER seen Bugs or Artie play in their prime, (60's, 70's). There were also 4 or 5 players on the Southside that Varner for one couldn't get there with!

The ONLY players that came from St. Louie to Chicago to play were the Cardinals!