Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Harriman vs Schmidt
Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#46)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

10-19-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iusedtoberich View Post
... But didn't he run the 400 about 15 years ago, and a second 403 or so a couple years later? ...
Correct. https://forums.azbilliards.com/showp...9&postcount=54

Old
  (#47)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
Anyone know if he's been playing much?

A DH in stroke is a dangerous opponent in 14.1.

If hehas not played much you may be correct about the backing.

It would be nice to watch them.

IMO, if both are at their best, the match would be toward the top of the "must see" matches.

Jeff
It has been 5 months since John ran the 626, and I don't think he has played much in that period. It'll be interesting to see how he does this coming week in the American 14.1 event.

Old
  (#48)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
Yes, but, ~400 is a looonnngggg ways from 626.

I'm still not sold on his game has went downhill at this point. Matter of fact, to me, it makes just as much sense to say his game has improved since then.

Depending on who you ask, there is evidence that John's "14.1" game has much improved.

I'm in the "he has improved" camp.

I've not seen or spoke to John in person in a good while but, the last time I saw him play, well, there was no way he could've hit 626.

My logic tells me that he either:

Improved by are good bit

Or

He is the luckiest pool player thats ever lived

Or

There is something fishy.

Having said that ^^^^^^^, I don't believe anything is "off" about his run, not in the least.

On the other hand, I also don't believe he is the luckiest player to ever live.

So, to me, that only leaves one choice, he worked hard and improved upon what was already a very strong skillset.

I may be wrong abiut the lucky part but, I just don't see anyone getting lucky 626 times.

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Do you know anyone like the "wannabe" boxer in the pool world?

Old
  (#49)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member
jrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond reputejrctherake has a reputation beyond repute

10-19-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
It has been 5 months since John ran the 626, and I don't think he has played much in that period. It'll be interesting to see how he does this coming week in the American 14.1 event.
I agree. Just yesterday, I was having that same conversation with a friend of mine. I think the time off may be a good thing.

If time off proves to have been a good thing for him......

Jeff

I knew a fellow that thought he was a good boxer because he was in a position to befriend a lot of "professional boxers". It cost him azzwhippens till he realized he wasn't what he thought/wished he was.

Old
  (#50)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-20-2019, 04:44 AM

If they want to box or wrestle each other that's fine...or go battle it out on Facebook, the ideal platform for this sort of drama.

They hate each other (one of them especially). I don't think pool needs a spectacle of bad behavior, which is clearly what this would become.

Add in a healthy dose of delusion, (one about the significance of the record, the other about pretty much the entire universe around him) and it will be embarrassing for the sport. I know it is tempting to think drama and grudge matches will bring in fans and excitement but I think it would be a mistake to let that define pool.

Old
  (#51)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
If they want to box or wrestle each other that's fine...or go battle it out on Facebook, the ideal platform for this sort of drama.

They hate each other (one of them especially). I don't think pool needs a spectacle of bad behavior, which is clearly what this would become.

Add in a healthy dose of delusion, (one about the significance of the record, the other about pretty much the entire universe around him) and it will be embarrassing for the sport. I know it is tempting to think drama and grudge matches will bring in fans and excitement but I think it would be a mistake to let that define pool.
The "use by" date for this match expired a long time ago. John has barely made a blip in pro pool for years now, with the exception being his 626 run under exhibition like circumstances. Danny has pretty much completely dropped out of the pro pool scene for several years now. I can't remember the last time he even made an appearance at a major tournament.

The only reason for a match like this would be the grudge factor with some pool fans hoping for a Strickland like implosion by one or both players. I don't find this compelling enough to stage such a match and hopefully it won't happen.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Last edited by jay helfert; 10-20-2019 at 09:06 AM.

Old
  (#52)
logical
sarcasm while you wait
logical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond reputelogical has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-20-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post
The "use by" date for this match expired a long time ago. John has barely made a blip in pro pool for years now, with the exception being his 626 run under exhibition like circumstances. Danny has pretty much completely dropped out of the pro pool scene for several years now. I can't remember the last time he even made an appearance at a major tournament.

The only reason for a match like this would be the grudge factor with some pool fans hoping for a Strickland like implosion by one or both players. I don't find this compelling enough to stage such a match and hopefully it won't happen.
Plus, John really has nothing to gain by getting involved with Danny. Right or wrong, to the casual pool fan he's the guy that beat the Great Mosconi. Beating Danny doesn't build on that and losing to him would wreck what little mystique he has surrounding his name.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old
  (#53)
arnaldo
AzB Silver Member
arnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrctherake View Post
. . . I also don't believe he is the luckiest player to ever live.

So, to me, that only leaves one choice, he worked hard and improved upon what was already a very strong skillset.

I may be wrong about the lucky part but, I just don't see anyone getting lucky 626 times.

Jeff
Good observations, Jeff.
Super-smart Mike Sigel nails the correct way to view "luck" when it comes to ultra-long runs in 14.1. As he indicates in the below excerpt from the Billiards Digest commendatory article, it boils down to -- not the anti-Schmidt-ers' dismissive idea of John being lucky 626 times -- but as John himself asserted -- being very fortunate enough come up with a shot opportunity after each break shot of those 44 racks:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Sigel
World 14.1 Champion 1979, '81, '85

"It's the most amazing feat I've ever heard. My high run was 339. Look at all the other runs he had in the 300s and 400s. How hard is what he did? He's the only one that's ever done it. You have to have the ability and you have to get a shot after 44 consecutive break shots. It's hard to believe. To concentrate that long and get the opportunity in 44 racks is amazing. As for criticism, I don't think this should be questioned at all. Give him the credit. The reality is that nobody else has even come close to that. Even if straight pool was the game today and all the top players were playing it all the time, I still don't think this number would be beat. That's how incredible it is."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arnaldo

“When the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you’re down to your reflexes. That’s where your roadwork shows . . . If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, well, you’re gonna get found out now, under the bright lights.” – Joe “Smokin’ Joe” Frazier

Old
  (#54)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member

10-20-2019, 02:31 PM

45 break shots

Old
  (#55)
one stroke
AzB Silver Member
one stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond reputeone stroke has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay helfert View Post

5th in the 2017 , word pool , straight pool championship

Old
  (#56)
jasonlaus
Rep for Smorg
jasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond reputejasonlaus has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post

These 2 guys matter as much to the public as the best hamburger maker at McDonalds.

Everybody trying to act like pool is important to the public is delusional.

Old
  (#57)
JazzyJeff87
AzB Plutonium Member
JazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond reputeJazzyJeff87 has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 08:09 PM

It’s important to the pool public damn it. I’m all for settling anything on a pool table. Whoever wins is right and all their concerns and accusations valid.

Old
  (#58)
jay helfert
Shoot Pool, not people
jay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond reputejay helfert has a reputation beyond repute

10-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one stroke View Post
5th in the 2017 , word pool , straight pool championship

Like I said, barely a blip. John's last good year was 2009.

http://www.jayhelfert.com/ to order More Pool Wars

Old
  (#59)
jrctherake
AzB Silver Member

10-21-2019, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post
These 2 guys matter as much to the public as the best hamburger maker at McDonalds.

Very true. Then again, I'll take two cheeseburgers with extra onions please.

Jeff

Old
  (#60)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
10-21-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonlaus View Post

For real.

We love pool and even we aren't all interested in the run.

Page 4 of 5 « First 234 5

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: