Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Champions in Shirlington, VA

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Champions in Shirlington, VA
Old
  (#1)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Champions in Shirlington, VA - 05-31-2008, 06:57 PM

I went to Champions in Shirlington tonight (as I do now and then) and was surprised to see that they have a Saturday night free pool special. Buy $10 worth of food or beer and play free from 6:00 to close! That's certainly the best deal I've seen in the DC area. I think that on Sundays they run a $5 play till 6:00 and $5 play from 6:00 till close.

They've got 4 double-shimmed gold crowns, and 16-18 other tables (about half Olhausen and half Brunswick). All seem to be well-maintained.

This Monday, they are starting a 1-pocket league. 3 best of three (or maybe race to 3) races -- two singles matches and 1 scotch doubles match, and no greens fees. I'm in, Mapman is in, I hear Pookie is in, and others I don't know are also playing. It would be great to see some other people from the DC area show up to support a place that's running some great deals and appears to be trying to do a lot for players. I suspect there will be a pretty wide range of speeds in the league so it would be a good way to learn 1 pocket if you don't already know the game. If you already know it, then you'll also have some solid competition.

FYI, there is a new owner as of last December and he seems excited about building up good leagues and tournaments. I haven't played him yet, but I hear he shoots decent, too.

Cory

CUES:Schon, Webb
HOURS OF POOL: 10 in a good week

Old
  (#2)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
05-31-2008, 08:18 PM

I might try too. Any idea how long it will run? Handicapping?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory in DC
I went to Champions in Shirlington tonight (as I do now and then) and was surprised to see that they have a Saturday night free pool special. Buy $10 worth of food or beer and play free from 6:00 to close! That's certainly the best deal I've seen in the DC area. I think that on Sundays they run a $5 play till 6:00 and $5 play from 6:00 till close.

They've got 4 double-shimmed gold crowns, and 16-18 other tables (about half Olhausen and half Brunswick). All seem to be well-maintained.

This Monday, they are starting a 1-pocket league. 3 best of three (or maybe race to 3) races -- two singles matches and 1 scotch doubles match, and no greens fees. I'm in, Mapman is in, I hear Pookie is in, and others I don't know are also playing. It would be great to see some other people from the DC area show up to support a place that's running some great deals and appears to be trying to do a lot for players. I suspect there will be a pretty wide range of speeds in the league so it would be a good way to learn 1 pocket if you don't already know the game. If you already know it, then you'll also have some solid competition.

FYI, there is a new owner as of last December and he seems excited about building up good leagues and tournaments. I haven't played him yet, but I hear he shoots decent, too.

Cory

Old
  (#3)
Moon Cricket
Poolshark
Moon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond reputeMoon Cricket has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

06-01-2008, 06:09 AM

Hi Cory,

Good information sir. Bump Bump

-Peace

McDermott Master Chalk - Blue
Tip pick Its George case
7 quarters Towel

Old
  (#4)
Rich R.
AzB Silver Member
Rich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond reputeRich R. has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 25

06-01-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
FYI, that room is owned by a group of partners, not just one person.

Rich R.

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent.

Nope.....
Old
  (#5)
MikeM
Pool Lover
MikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond reputeMikeM has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

Nope..... - 06-01-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:

Cory

....WC can't shoot a lick!!!

J/K get out to Champions and support a couple of pool players who are trying to make it as room owners.

Best of luck to you both!!!

MM

Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

"My math's not that good....unless I'm countin' cash!" - the late George "Ginky" San Souci

Playing cue: Scruggs
Jump/Break: Scruggs

Old
  (#6)
alinco
AzB Silver Member
alinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-01-2008, 01:57 PM

WL plays ok. I wonder who's the favorite between WC and WL?
Andy

Old
  (#7)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member
Cory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond reputeCory in DC has a reputation beyond repute

06-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-Balled
I might try too. Any idea how long it will run? Handicapping?
I don't think there's any handicapping planned right now. I think the owner that I talked to (apparently, there are 2 or more) did mention that Mondays are slow enough that he can give out extra tables to the league players. So if it gets too backed up, a match could be played on 2 tables at the same time.

I would guess that three best-of-three races would take about 3 hours. But then I really like to shoot at my hole. Put an uptable player or two into the mix and it could drag on. This seems like a work in progress that they will update and adjust as needed.

Also, if anyone is looking for me there, I won't get there till about 9:00 or so. But I hope to see some AZBers there.

Cory

Old
  (#8)
Cory in DC
AzB Silver Member

06-02-2008, 08:01 AM

A Monday nump in case anyone missed this over the weekend.

Old
  (#9)
Andrew Manning
Aspiring know-it-all
Andrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Manning has a reputation beyond repute

06-02-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinco
WL plays ok. I wonder who's the favorite between WC and WL?
Andy
If they own the room, why are we using code names? I think they lost any low profile they may have maintained by owning a pool room.

-Andrew

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

If you knew what you didn't know, you wouldn't not know it. -Danny Diliberto

Old
  (#10)
mapman72
AzB Silver Member
mapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond reputemapman72 has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to mapman72 Send a message via Yahoo to mapman72  
06-02-2008, 10:00 AM

This league should be fun and perfect for good 8/9 ball players who suck at one pocket but are looking to improve. I think I fit in that category

Old
  (#11)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
06-02-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapman72
This league should be fun and perfect for good 8/9 ball players who suck at one pocket but are looking to improve. I think I fit in that category
opssshhhhaaawwww.

Old
  (#12)
alinco
AzB Silver Member
alinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond reputealinco has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

06-02-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Manning
If they own the room, why are we using code names? I think they lost any low profile they may have maintained by owning a pool room.

-Andrew
Dunno! I was just copying the message style I was replying to. They aren't undercover...Willis Lam and Wai Cho Yee play about the same. It's been a while since I've seen either play though...

Andy

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: