14.1 Hi-Run Challenge at BCAPL

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
We opened up the booth yesterday afternoon and got real busy.

No good runs. Great location in the middle of the front ballroom.

2 - 9' Diamonds. Both tables have a camera and monitor on them so everyone can see.

I think the high run was 59 - and total of 122 (4 attempts) by Jesse Engle.

More to come - maybe some pics can be posted - it is a good setup.

Mark Griffin

BTW: Bob Jewett pledged $10,000 if anyone ties or beats Mosconi 526. CSI matched it so it stands at $20,000 bonus. Highly unlike;y and maybe next year we can get this up to at least $50,000.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Thats outstanding, i am very glad to hear it Mark !!!!

do you have the video setup and ready to go as well when a big name steps up to bat?

can we get a list of names that have stopped by to take a shot ??

thanks
-Steve

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Excellent

Great news Mark!!! Love the $20K for a 526+. That should draw a crowd even if it would be a superhuman feat. How about some pics of the set up? Congrats and good luck!!!

Ron F

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
14.1 at BCAPL

Pictures will be coming- I cannot do that stuff!

So far ( off top of my head): Schmidt, Davis, Harriman, engles, Dechaine, and many more. About 60 tries so far

Mark griffin

sausage

Banned
this challenge should be open to all players EVERYWHERE who can prove that they beat mosconi's record. mosconi did it during a liesurly session. it's not very likely that someone will run that many balls on cue, so to speak. if schmidt or another top player breaks the run on their own table at home, they should still get the money.

Rich R.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this challenge should be open to all players EVERYWHERE who can prove that they beat mosconi's record. mosconi did it during a liesurly session. it's not very likely that someone will run that many balls on cue, so to speak. if schmidt or another top player breaks the run on their own table at home, they should still get the money.

How could someone prove that they did it?

We don't want someone trying to pull a rip off move on Mark.
Without proof, it didn't happen.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Nuts-So

lol.... exactly. i've seen some silly post here but that took the cake.

Look who made that statement.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Any news on what is actually happening there?

Any word on who is playing and what they are running?

The silence is deafening.

sausage

Banned

um, how did mosconi "prove" he did it? if someone breaks the record at home with no witnesses or video, then obviously that's not going to cut it.

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
And anyone that likes or supports the video will be crucified for doing so anyway !!!! Just Sayin

Last edited:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
um, how did mosconi "prove" he did it? if someone breaks the record at home with no witnesses or video, then obviously that's not going to cut it.

Sausage: You should already know this.

http://americanhistory.si.edu/archives/images/d9744-4.jpg

This is supposed to be a thread about the straight pool competition put on by Mark Griffin and others. I just talked to Marop and he said they have had over 200 entries. Lots of exposure to straight pool = A Good thing.

Why are we getting side tracked talking about nonsense?!

Ron F

Ron F
Silver Member
Rules

He who puts up the money makes the rules.

sausage

Banned
dennis: i DID know it. i posed that question to the other poster so he could find out for himself. and yes, exposure is good but the odds of someone actually running 527+ balls on cue are astronomical. i can't imagine how this simple statement of fact can be denied. this is a fun event but in reality has little to do with mosconi's record.

yeah yeah, ron, i know, i was just throwing it out there that a SERIOUS challenge to mosconi's record SHOULD be open because (as i previously stated); it's going to be virtually impossible to beat that record "on cue". it is much more likely to be broken if the money were available to ANYONE AT ANYTIME. then schmidt, harriman and all the other high run gurus would have some real incentive to break it. it's not going to happen the way the money is constrained and those who put up the money probably know this.... :wink:

Last edited:

Holly

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hi everyone...sorry bear with me, I'll have photos up of the 14.1 area asap...goal, early afternoon today :)

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
dennis: i DID know it. i posed that question to the other poster so he could find out for himself. and yes, exposure is good but the odds of someone actually running 527+ balls on cue are astronomical. i can't imagine how this simple statement of fact can be denied. this is a fun event but in reality has little to do with mosconi's record.

So exposure is good. Great, then. We are agreed. Now maybe someone can talk about the event itself.

The rest is just sideshow crap to turn people's heads and get them to look at it. We should know better. :cool:

By the way, for those who are interested in the event itself, Marop just told me Schmidty had a 4 pack of 121,89, and a couple others totaling 280. I think he might be in first right now.

Last edited:

Mark Griffin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
4.1 hi- run challenge

Everything s going great.
Schmidt is still high at 122/281 (4 innings)

We have women - amateur men- senior (60+) and pro.
Not sure how we are cutting up the money.

Richard burns added $1,000 to our pot.
Event will last until 21st - probably around 6 pm.
Top 8 (pro only) will have single elim tournament sund after 10- ball finals on the TAR streaming table.

By the time this is over- we will have shown 7,000 amateurs what 14.1is.
The event is next to the flow charts - mega traffic!!

Mark griffin

Ps. Cannot provide the details some would like. We ave 242 amateurs tables and 30 events happening this week.

14.1pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck with the rest of the event. Wish I could be there, I've had 527 bottled up for some time now:wink: