Go Back   AzBilliards.com > Main Category > Main Forum
Reload this Page Cue Extensions
Page 2 of 2 12

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old
  (#16)
Cornerman
Cue Author...Sometimes
Cornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond reputeCornerman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

01-14-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickhem View Post
Another observation from my visit to watch the Turning Stone tournament this weekend. A lot of players were using cue extensions. Shane had one on the bottom of his shooting cue. He seemed to take it off when he jumped, but put it back on after the jump shot. Jason Shaw had one on his shooting cue, and I think his was a mid-location extension. Billy Thorpe had a small one on the bottom of his shooting cue, and there were a few others that used them as well.
I realize that on 9 foot tables, these extensions help on those shots bordering on when you'd need to use the bridge, but leaving them on all the time makes me wonder if there is some other perceived advantage. Does the additional weight help? Balance adjustment maybe?
If I had a choice, Id put it on full-time. Without it full time, when I add it for a stretch shot, it feela foreign on an already funny stance. When I had the mid-extension was on full-time, there was never that funnny transition. Also like others say, it also seemed to be easier to get spin. Not that this was always a positive.

Playing in a bar or my fairly tight-quartered home room prevented my using the extension full time.

Freddie <~~~ needs an extension full time

--------

Name: Freddie Agnir
Shooting Cue: 2017 Tascarella (w/blokid extension) or Schuler SC-250
Breaking Cue: BK Rush

Playing time: just a hair above zero
--------

"I don't care if you win, just cover the spread!"

- Annie Potts (Memaw from Young Sheldon)

Old
  (#17)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2019, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prad View Post
I believe that you have to be at least 5'10 to fully take advantage of cue extension, doesn't really help if your wing span is not that long. May be I am wrong and there is some crazy benefit of using 'em..?
I think they're often used for "ballast" - to help keep the stroke straight.

pj
chgo

Old
  (#18)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-14-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I've recently gotten a 6" extension )2.5 oz) for the end of my cue.

It seems to allow me to stay with the cue ball better/longer thus more spin (or it's just in my head). The main reason I'm using it is that normally my grip hand is all the way down on the end of the butt (hanging off) with a 12.5" bridge length (diamond length).

So far I'm love 'n it...
Same here Pete, that's why I made the extensions.

You don't want to feel any weight in your grip hand just the weight behind your grip hand.

John

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 01-14-2019 at 02:10 PM.

Old
  (#19)
Patrick Johnson
Fish of the Day
Patrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

01-14-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I've recently gotten a 6" extension )2.5 oz) for the end of my cue.

It seems to allow me to stay with the cue ball better/longer thus more spin (or it's just in my head).
The added weight certainly changes the feel and hit, but maybe not as you visualize it. I think it probably feels like the tip is staying on the CB longer because the impact is "muffled" by the heavier cue, and it seems like it's generating more spin because it's hitting the CB "harder" with the same stroke speed.

I'm pretty sure these differences are due to the added weight rather than the added length. Other than allowing a longer reach, I don't think the added length does anything but add a little resistance to sideways motion.

pj <- buzzkill scientist
chgo

Old
  (#20)
One Pocket John
AzB Silver Member
One Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond reputeOne Pocket John has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

01-14-2019, 07:19 PM

Newton's 1st and 3rd laws of motion.

The first law refers to the weight of the extension behind the shooters grip hand.

The third law refers to an equal and opposite reaction to an applied force. What you want to strive for is to limit the reaction of the equal and opposite reaction. A good example to this is to watch Chris Melling's stroke (on YT), he is accomplishing this very well.

I think Earl figured this out long ago and passed it along to Shane.

John
Attached Images

One Pocket John
St. Louis, MO.

I don't play One Pocket as much as I use to, but when I do, I play at Cue & Cushion - Overland, MO.

In Memory of Dean Higgs and Harry Sims - gone but not forgotten and thank you.

Last edited by One Pocket John; 01-14-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 12

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: