Old
  (#16)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-12-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoRJ View Post
Oh, there is no doubt you would win money in a spelling contest. As good as Artie was in making money, real money, gambling, you could spot him the C and the A in spelling cat and you'd rob him

But, he never had a paying gig for his wordsmithing
Then we will have to play a set of spelling bee and a set of 1p.

Tiebreaker, something fair...like bicycle!

Chicago player
Old
  (#17)
Tommy-D
World's best B player...
Tommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond reputeTommy-D has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Chicago player - 08-12-2019, 12:17 PM

The late Grady Mathews told me stories about Artie that put his 1-P skills up there with Jack Cooney,not necessarily based on pure offense but the fact that he knew every move,how to get out of it,and almost never sold out a makeable ball.

He said that Artie could probably spot more people than Cliff Joyner,because even guys that could flat out shoot him would visibly age waiting on him to give them an open ball to their hole. Tommy D.

"I'm going to try to work it out so at the end its a pure guts race.............because if it is..............I'm the only one that can win." Steve Prefontaine

Old
  (#18)
Black-Balled
He Rides the Skies
Black-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond reputeBlack-Balled has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1200
  Send a message via AIM to Black-Balled  
08-12-2019, 12:19 PM

Chicago style ain't just a pizza, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-D View Post
The late Grady Mathews told me stories about Artie that put his 1-P skills up there with Jack Cooney,not necessarily based on pure offense but the fact that he knew every move,how to get out of it,and almost never sold out a makeable ball.

He said that Artie could probably spot more people than Cliff Joyner,because even guys that could flat out shoot him would visibly age waiting on him to give them an open ball to their hole. Tommy D.

Old
  (#19)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-D View Post

You would be correct. But, if I go on and on about him it sounds like i'm just a "homer", so I'm glad someone else chimed in

and yes, he has a certain disdain for anyone that tried to shoot at their hole. Even attempting a 4 rail bank shot made him a little pissed. He didn't like anyone trying to take it "home". LOL

RUSSIAN Magic Chalk - "The Best Chalk of the World"

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Baltic BLUE & Chernobyl GREEN

Check us out in "For Sale" section on AZB

ChicagoRJ, the Minister of Truth and Magic Chalk. - WGDave

Last edited by ChicagoRJ; 08-12-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Old
  (#20)
pt109
WO double hemlock

pt109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond reputept109 has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2019, 02:02 PM

Quote:
You would be correct. But, if I go on and on about him it sounds like i'm just a "homer", so I'm glad someone else chimed in

and yes, he has a certain disdain for anyone that tried to shoot at their hole. Even attempting a 4 rail bank shot made him a little pissed. He didn't like anyone trying to take it "home". LOL
It would’ve been fun watching Artie play Tony Chohan.

Lionize your game.
http://www.alexpagulayan.com/

MAGIC CHALK call Marco Polo 647-287-8131

If pool players had to have knowledge of geometry and physics before talking about geometry and physics, all of the aiming threads would disappear.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#21)
bbb
AzB Silver Member

bbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond reputebbb has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

08-12-2019, 02:14 PM

here is an interview with him from onepocket.org
http://www.onepocket.org/rackem-up-w...e-bodendorfer/

Old
  (#22)
lfigueroa
AzB Silver Member
lfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond reputelfigueroa has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_4fun View Post
The story that got back to me is Artie would only play on one table.

He was far from a "road player".

Freddy was his friend, and with his politics he advanced him for the HOF. Did he deserve it? I don't know, but is probably the least known and least traveled of all of the HOF players.

Ken

From what I observed at the 2010 DCC, when Artie played JH, there is more than a little truth to what Ken has posted.

(insert flashback music)

#####
The action seemed sporadic, but good, I watched a bit of Platis, Lutman, JL, Scooter. And I also watched the first, and last couple of hours of the Artie -- John Henderson match. I think the tape Chicago Mike was making of the whole match will speak for itself, but my opinion is that the “perfect, no mistake, smartest 1pocket of all time” that Artie rants about all the time is a figment of his imagination. In real life, all that would appear to mostly consist of is: every time it's your shot you stare at the table for five to 10 minutes while chalking your cue; then you bunt a ball up-table to your side; and then, you do not shoot, *at anything.* Ever. IOW, with this “strategy” you’re basically relying on your opponent dropping dead out of pure exhaustion, boredom, or both.

At one point in the final game, Artie had managed to bunt all the balls near his side pocket and I whispered to Mike, “This is it! We're about to see the perfect, no-mistake 1pocket Artie has been talking about -- he’s been working on this position for the last 42 shots and now, finally, at last, he’s going to gently pull the trigger and shoot a ball and the cluster along the side rail is going to open up like some beautiful tropical flower and the balls are going to stay on his side and he’s going to run out-- it’s going to be like some ancient Kung-fu martial arts Mortal Kombat Kill Bill thing where he’s just going to gently touch his opponent with the palm of his hand and his heart is going to just stop beating and it'll be like he just dropped dead in his tracks.”

But, alas, there was none of that.

And Artie kept bunting, and John kept shooting and won. Personally, I think John deserves a big tip of the hat for hanging in there for 14 hours of Artie’s stall.
#####

Lou Figueroa

Old
  (#23)
ribdoner
SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
ribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond reputeribdoner has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4300

08-12-2019, 04:40 PM

Although i stopped playing in 12-65 until relocating from CHI in 76 (military, job, life and other sundry bs) to the woderful metropolis of memphis i stayed somewhat abreast of the pool scene and can't recall Artie booking many, if any, losers.

That said i also can't recall any reports of him getting into the pit with monsters such as Shorty, Worst,Cook, etc......not to say he did or didn't

RJ, do you recall him playing "Champions" ?

the truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Old
  (#24)
jrhendy
AzB Silver Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

08-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
You are suppose to get out of bad games, that's what the smart folks with money do He made so much money in sports gambling that he really stepped away from pool for a long time. I know he played John Henderson at DCC a few years back, but they were both in their golden years already. Maybe he can give us some tidbits on his 1P prowess. I'm sure they've seen each other play many times over the years ??
I played Artie twice. Once in Texas during the big tournament in Galveston a few years back, and again at Derby City the following year. Both sets were races to seven for 3k.

The set in Galveston took 12 1/2 hours and we played until it ended, with Artie coming out on top. My mistake was trying to move with him. You were usually froze on the rail, froze to another ball or both. Artie likes to look em over and it is not a shark, it’s the way he plays. He never sits down while he plays.

The set at Derby City took around 16 hours and again, we played until it ended. This time I came out on top. I did not try to outmove him, I just outshot him and won by being more aggressive. I could see what a monster he must have been when he still had ball pocketing and banking skills to go along with his moving.

We have had many conversations over the years since we played and I visited him in his home in Las Vegas where he has a beautiful Diamond set up. Like RJ said, he is busy with his granddaughter. He is a good man who has had a very interesting life, and as he would tell you, he was after the money, not the glory.

John Henderson
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk

Old
  (#25)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)
ChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond reputeChicagoRJ has a reputation beyond repute

08-12-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhendy View Post
I played Artie twice. Once in Texas during the big tournament in Galveston a few years back, and again at Derby City the following year. Both sets were races to seven for 3k.

The set in Galveston took 12 1/2 hours and we played until it ended, with Artie coming out on top. My mistake was trying to move with him. You were usually froze on the rail, froze to another ball or both. Artie likes to look em over and it is not a shark, it’s the way he plays. He never sits down while he plays.

The set at Derby City took around 16 hours and again, we played until it ended. This time I came out on top. I did not try to outmove him, I just outshot him and won by being more aggressive. I could see what a monster he must have been when he still had ball pocketing and banking skills to go along with his moving.

We have had many conversations over the years since we played and I visited him in his home in Las Vegas where he has a beautiful Diamond set up. Like RJ said, he is busy with his granddaughter. He is a good man who has had a very interesting life, and as he would tell you, he was after the money, not the glory.

Thanks John, for chiming in. Nice to know someone that actually is a respected player and actually played against him in his prime knows the guy could play. Never leaving someone a shot is quite a bit bigger strategy than folks who think he just bunted balls up table. I know you still had game at DCC as well, I was there for that 1P match, but no, I didn't stay for the entire match. Yep, he truly didn't want medals, trophies or even HOF inductions if there was no money attached

TZAR Tips now available.

"I have been playing pool for 60 years and started using Kamui about four years ago. I tried Magic Chalk several months ago and will use it from now on" - jrhendy - Noted Player and Gambler

Old
  (#26)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-12-2019, 11:16 PM

Great Info RJ!!!

Old
  (#27)
Rico
AzB Silver Member
Rico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond reputeRico has a reputation beyond repute

Wink 08-13-2019, 07:24 AM

Wow ,i just was thinking about guys from the haydays and thought of guys that were players i believed could play with anyone. Being older i dont believe that many of the (older) players couldn't win today. I separate tourn. players and gambling when thinking about players.Sweating a 10 ahead match over a race with alternate break is apples and oranges. Thanks to all who brought light to a real player. One of many who could get the cash even today.

Old
  (#28)
jrhendy
AzB Silver Member
jrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond reputejrhendy has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1400

08-13-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Oh, there is no doubt you would win money in a spelling contest. As good as Artie was in making money, real money, gambling, you could spot him the C and the A in spelling cat and you'd rob him

But, he never had a paying gig for his wordsmithing
When Artie was posting on onepocket.org he drove us crazy with his spelling and composition, but he got his point across. He had what so many lack, street smarts, and was even a genius in some ways. Becoming a millionaire in sports betting in Las Vegas and having them change the law because you were outsmarting them is some indication of that.

He told me he would leave school to go hustling pool with a Chicago Johnny. His pool pedigree runs deep. He did not play a lot of name players because they did not want any. Like I said before, he was all about the money, not the glory.

John Henderson
Al Romero Cue
Magic Chalk

Old
  (#29)
ChicagoRJ
EEEEEXCELLENT ;)

08-13-2019, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribdoner View Post
Although i stopped playing in 12-65 until relocating from CHI in 76 (military, job, life and other sundry bs) to the woderful metropolis of memphis i stayed somewhat abreast of the pool scene and can't recall Artie booking many, if any, losers.

That said i also can't recall any reports of him getting into the pit with monsters such as Shorty, Worst,Cook, etc......not to say he did or didn't

RJ, do you recall him playing "Champions" ?

Nick Varner, Boston Shorty, Dallas West, Billy Incardona, Bugs Rucker. But, he stayed closer to home. I know Freddy tells a story of Artie trying to get a game with Ronnie Allen in Wisconsin, but they could not come to terms on the game, table, etc. Artie is not taking a game he doesn't like, plain and simple. Pool was never that important to him. It was about making money, thus, it was just a job.

But, he did have an incredible amount of stamina (no drugs) He could play 24 hours and the last game would be played just like the first game. Hence, why 5 ahead was never a good game for his opponent. I'm surprised more folks didn't realize that?

When he owned Bensingers, he was in big money matches, but still waiting on customers, giving out balls, selling soda's, whatever, and he'd go right back to this game. He could focus that well once he got back at the table. I think it was "Carny" training he got early on working on the fixed carnival games. You had to hustle folks all the while other distractions going on. Nothing really fazed him.

TZAR Tips now available.

Old
  (#30)
Dead Money
AzB Silver Member
Dead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond reputeDead Money has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1100

08-13-2019, 08:42 AM

RJ..was that your pops in the video near the beginning?

Page 2 of 11 12 34 Last »

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: