Gold Crown 1 casting.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Was just in Boise, ID a few days ago to deliver a 9ft Diamond ProAm and had a few days of down time before my next job in Pocatello, ID so I had a customer by the name of Mike who'd been trying for quite some time to get me to recover and level his GC1. Well, I was at Pockets billiards and as soon as someone recognized who I was, they called Mike to let him know i was in town. Next thing i know, I'm talking with Mike in person. So, went out to his house to take a look at his table, besides the horrible cloth work done to it, it was out of level, the rails didn't line up with the pocket shelfs, NONE OF THE GC1S DO, and his pocket casting were sticking way up above the formica of the rails, but I agreed to work on his table.

Took the table apart, remounted the slates CENTERED on the frame, marked out where the rail bolt holes through the Brunstone were suppose to be, then drilled the bolt holes to 7/8"ths and centered. Leveled the slates, recovered them with his new Simonis 860HR Tour Blue cloth he's had waiting for the day I'd work on his table, with fingers crossed...LOL

Then, I suprised Mike by installing pocket casting leveling system in the ends of the rails so I could flush mount the pockets, then recovered the rails and put the table back together again, but in reassembling the ball box, I also converted the mounting of the ball box from wood screws to 1/4"×20×3" machine screws and threaded inserts mounted into the frame.

I didn't take pictures as it's pretty much old news to me, but I did take some pictures of how flush the castings sit so it proves the casting can be almost flush mounted, why they're not is on the mechanics you hire.

img20191012_210428.jpg

img20191012_210355.jpg

img20191012_210314.jpg

img20191012_210240.jpg

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
^ Looks very nice indeed. I wasn't aware the castings are usually too high on GC1's, but I'm new to all this. I will have to make sure when time comes, to mention this and make certain my mechanic gets them looking like how you got them on this table.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sometimes you jump on your high horse.
Sometimes I find myself disagreeing with you.
But the work you post on the Internet
that will stay forever and the knowledge you
leave for the rest of the world is truly priceless.
Next table I have installed I will wait for it
to be done correctly by the guy who shares
so much and then die in that place rather than move.
Mike is a lucky guy.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks the cobra truly knows his s^*t. Really nice work there. I really hope he makes a book/dvd set someday. Lot of knowledge and experience to pass on.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Was just in Boise, ID a few days ago to deliver a 9ft Diamond ProAm and had a few days of down time before my next job in Pocatello, ID so I had a customer by the name of Mike who'd been trying for quite some time to get me to recover and level his GC1. Well, I was at Pockets billiards and as soon as someone recognized who I was, they called Mike to let him know i was in town. Next thing i know, I'm talking with Mike in person. So, went out to his house to take a look at his table, besides the horrible cloth work done to it, it was out of level, the rails didn't line up with the pocket shelfs, NONE OF THE GC1S DO, and his pocket casting were sticking way up above the formica of the rails, but I agreed to work on his table.

Took the table apart, remounted the slates CENTERED on the frame, marked out where the rail bolt holes through the Brunstone were suppose to be, then drilled the bolt holes to 7/8"ths and centered. Leveled the slates, recovered them with his new Simonis 860HR Tour Blue cloth he's had waiting for the day I'd work on his table, with fingers crossed...LOL

Then, I suprised Mike by installing pocket casting leveling system in the ends of the rails so I could flush mount the pockets, then recovered the rails and put the table back together again, but in reassembling the ball box, I also converted the mounting of the ball box from wood screws to 1/4"×20×3" machine screws and threaded inserts mounted into the frame.

I didn't take pictures as it's pretty much old news to me, but I did take some pictures of how flush the castings sit so it proves the casting can be almost flush mounted, why they're not is on the mechanics you hire.

View attachment 531913

View attachment 531914

View attachment 531915

View attachment 531916

Glad to see you're back working. Beautiful job by the way! I wouldn't expect any less from you. It's nice to see a craftsman who takes pride in his work.

Like I always say, "If you save one pool table, you save the world!" :grin:

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Then, I suprised Mike by installing pocket casting leveling system in the ends of the rails so I could flush mount the pockets,

but I did take some pictures of how flush the castings sit so it proves the casting can be almost flush mounted, why they're not is on the mechanics you hire.
Can you mount the castings flush like that without the "pocket casting leveling system"? I actually just learned that such a thing existed! ha! Mine stick up a bit, but over the many decades of playing on GC1/2's I never saw one that did have flush pocket castings - EXCEPT the one in this thread! holy smokes!

Thanks!

-td

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Can you mount the castings flush like that without the "pocket casting leveling system"? I actually just learned that such a thing existed! ha! Mine stick up a bit, but over the many decades of playing on GC1/2's I never saw one that did have flush pocket castings - EXCEPT the one in this thread! holy smokes!

Thanks!

-td

No, because you have to be able to adjust how the front and back of the castings sit in relation to the formica finish of the rails. The adjustment dont change even when you take the rails apart, recover them, then put the rails back together again. What other mechanics try and do if anything is shim the castings, which falls out everytime the rails are taken apart, then have to be shimmed again.

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
No, because you have to be able to adjust how the front and back of the castings sit in relation to the formica finish of the rails. The adjustment dont change even when you take the rails apart, recover them, then put the rails back together again. What other mechanics try and do if anything is shim the castings, which falls out everytime the rails are taken apart, then have to be shimmed again.
I have a GC II. I assume the correct fot is flush to the trim and consistently slightly over flush to the formica?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have a GC II. I assume the correct fot is flush to the trim and consistently slightly over flush to the formica?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The GC2 is debatable, but yes, with the exception to flush with the outside of the trim, as in adjustable play in the casting mount, and the effect on the pocket openings.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I waited patiently for a couple of years for RKC to make it to me in CT; that was a few years ago. He turned my GC1 "Frankentable" into a real Dapper Dan. :cool:

And to give an idea of what kind of heart this guy has, just a couple months after my table was Cobracized to absolute perfection an effing leak under my kitchen sink made it's way down to my basement rec room and, of course, soaked the table. :angry:

I called Glen for advice, he was nearly 500 miles away in VA. His response was, "I'll come back up there on Tuesday to take care of it." And he did! :thumbup:

Thanks for fixing me up, Glen, and then re-fixing me up. :thumbup:

best,
brian kc

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Greg,

Is there an upgrade/option - or even something new - that allows for flush mounted pockets on the GC1? I don't mind the plastic sticking up, but if there was an alternative, I might consider it.

Thanks!

-td

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Greg,

Is there an upgrade/option - or even something new - that allows for flush mounted pockets on the GC1? I don't mind the plastic sticking up, but if there was an alternative, I might consider it.

Thanks!

-td

Greg? Greg who?😂 but to answer your question, no.