Highest run
Old
  (#1)
chart22
AzB Silver Member
chart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Highest run - 10-17-2019, 03:45 PM

Does anyone know what the highest run on a table with 4.5” pockets is? Charles

Old
  (#2)
Bob Jewett
Northern California

Bob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond reputeBob Jewett has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

10-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chart22 View Post
Does anyone know what the highest run on a table with 4.5” pockets is? Charles
Competition or practice?

4.5x9 or some other size?

Witnessed or rumored?

Recorded or just witnessed?

You may want to consider Joshua Filler's 285 at the 2019 DCC 14.1 Challenge. It was on a 4.5x9 Diamond with 4.5" corner pockets. There is video of it. It was done under official rules -- "all ball fouls" -- although it was not a match.

Bob Jewett
SF Billiard Academy

Old
  (#3)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-17-2019, 09:49 PM

I've tried to get information a few times on Thomas Engert's run of 491 on a 9-foot table -- when, where, table details, spectators, etc.? sfleinen provided some good info a few months ago. Based on a now-gone Engert website, and a conversation with him at an early Dragon 14.1 event, Sean said it was "a Dynamic-II table with tour-cut pockets." But I still don't know the actual pocket size.

Old
  (#4)
chart22
AzB Silver Member
chart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond reputechart22 has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jewett View Post
Competition or practice?

4.5x9 or some other size?

Witnessed or rumored?

Recorded or just witnessed?

You may want to consider Joshua Filler's 285 at the 2019 DCC 14.1 Challenge. It was on a 4.5x9 Diamond with 4.5" corner pockets. There is video of it. It was done under official rules -- "all ball fouls" -- although it was not a match.
9’
Recorded

I did watch the Filler run. He plays fast. I also watched a high run by Chris Melling also.

Old
  (#5)
chart22
AzB Silver Member

10-18-2019, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I've tried to get information a few times on Thomas Engert's run of 491 on a 9-foot table -- when, where, table details, spectators, etc.? sfleinen provided some good info a few months ago. Based on a now-gone Engert website, and a conversation with him at an early Dragon 14.1 event, Sean said it was "a Dynamic-II table with tour-cut pockets." But I still don't know the actual pocket size.
491 on pro cut pockets would be amazing to me.

Old
  (#6)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

10-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
I believe this to be the answer.. Engert's run, which was over fifteen years ago, of 491, which I, too, discussed with him, was not on silly tight equipment, but was on 4 1/2" pockets. Terms like tour-cut and pro-cut pockets need to be dismissed as their meaning changes with time.

Engert, a many time winner of the European Straight Pool Championships, was a world beater. He played a bit below Oliver Ortmann, but was certainly comparable to any other European straight pooler off his day.

The tail end of Engert's career coincided with the beginning of that of Thorsten Hohmann, and they had a memorable clash in the finals of the 2006 WPA Sanctioned World 14.1 Championships, which was won by Hohmann.

Old
  (#7)
arnaldo
AzB Silver Member
arnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond reputearnaldo has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
The tail end of Engert's career coincided with the beginning of that of Thorsten Hohmann, and they had a memorable clash in the finals of the 2006 WPA Sanctioned World 14.1 Championships, which was won by Hohmann.
Here's the full match of that memorable 2006 final between Engert and Hohmann:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc_TRDv7GRw

Arnaldo

“When the action starts, it may not go the way you planned, and you’re down to your reflexes. That’s where your roadwork shows . . . If you cheated on that in the dark of the morning, well, you’re gonna get found out now, under the bright lights.” – Joe “Smokin’ Joe” Frazier

Old
  (#8)
chart22
AzB Silver Member

10-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm View Post
I believe this to be the answer.. Engert's run, which was over fifteen years ago, of 491, which I, too, discussed with him, was not on silly tight equipment, but was on 4 1/2" pockets. Terms like tour-cut and pro-cut pockets need to be dismissed as their meaning changes with time.

Engert, a many time winner of the European Straight Pool Championships, was a world beater. He played a bit below Oliver Ortmann, but was certainly comparable to any other European straight pooler off his day.

491 on 4.5” pockets is mind blowing to me.

Old
  (#9)
Poolmanis
AzB Silver Member
Poolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond reputePoolmanis has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 02:33 PM

EPBF pro cut pockets are 11.5 cm. which is 4.5"

-special man for a special shots-
Straight Pool addict
My Snooker 147 with Pool Cue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRtIEF_vL0A
HOW TO RUN RACKS IN 14.1 - Livestreamed with 103 run.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnCaoYpzaM

Old
  (#10)
AtLarge
AzB Gold Member
AtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond reputeAtLarge has a reputation beyond repute

10-18-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolmanis View Post
EPBF pro cut pockets are 11.5 cm. which is 4.5"
11.5 mm = 4.53"

Were the EPBF specs the same back when Engert ran his 491? Do you know what year that was?

I found the "2018 EPBF Sports Regulations" document, and it says: "The sports equipment must meet the specifications listed in the EPBF Specifications Catalogue ..." http://europeanpocketbilliardfederat...v-02.01.18.pdf

So then I found the EPBF "Equipment Specification Catalogue," version 01.03.2017, and on the Tables pages it just lists tables that are "recognized" -- maker and model -- but says nothing about pocket specs. http://europeanpocketbilliardfederat...01.03.2017.pdf

Most, but not all, of that EPBF spec catalog repeats what's in the WPA Equipment Specifications document. But the WPA document, unlike the EPBF document, has a section on pocket openings and measurements. The WPA spec for a corner pocket mouth is 4.5" to 4.625". Maybe all of the EPBF "recognized" tables follow the WPA specs?

Edit -- I just found the 2019 version of the "EPBF Sports Regulations" document, and it is a bit different from the one for 2018. The 2019 one says "The sports equipment must meet the specifications listed in the Apendexx 1, ...", but I haven't found that appendix. I wonder if it actually gives specs rather than just listing recognized makes and models. http://europeanpocketbilliardfederat...ns-v.-2019.pdf

Last edited by AtLarge; 10-18-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Old
  (#11)
sjm
Stu with the Ko brothers
sjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond reputesjm has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 525

10-19-2019, 03:29 PM

A thread was started in 2006 in which the question was posed: Was Engert's run on a 9 x 4 1/2 more impressive than Mosconi's 526 on an 8 footer?

I'm only guessing here but I think Engert's run came in about 2003, so it wasn't old news at the time of this thread, and it's no too far fetched to believe that the poster who began this thread saw the run. Not exactly proof, but one small piece of evidence supporting the claim of 4 1/2" pockets.

Here it is:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=36791

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: